Red arrows, weird speeds?

dnconfuzed

I have been using utorrent for a while, but during the last couple of days my torrents, even new and fresh ones with good s/l ratios, have a red arrow next to them, and their speeds have ben fluctuating (200kbps to 2kbps). My internet speeds are fine, and the port I am using is not blocked. I restarted my modem, an updated it, so I don't think that is a problem. When I look in the trackers tab, however, the DHT, Peer Exchange and Local Peer discovery is working, but the other trackers say "Connection timed out." Is there a problem with my IP? Am I being tracked or something? I don't know much about all the technical stuff behind torrents, and IPs, so any help will be good. Thank you.

For torrents, I use Piratebay, Extratorrent, and/or KickAss. Is there something wrong with these sites? Should I stop using them?

It's not anything to be concerned about. Trackers can go "bad" meaning many things like perhaps they stop offering the torrent and so forth. If I'm not wrong than the red arrow thing can indicate that no trackers are working (there's 3 services that try to find new peers through other peers).

This is probably related to the trackers OpenBitTorrent and PublicBitTorrent going on strike. They've shut down in protest until uTorrent implements a protocol feature designed to save the trackers bandwidth.

TorrentFreak has a story explaining the problem.

note: this should not affect any other trackers, just the two big ones.

• 2 weeks later...
This is probably related to the trackers OpenBitTorrent and PublicBitTorrent going on strike. They've shut down in protest until uTorrent implements a protocol feature designed to save the trackers bandwidth.

TorrentFreak has a story explaining the problem.

note: this should not affect any other trackers, just the two big ones.

Not very surprising. utorrent is unable to evolve even when it's obviously for everyone's benefit. I wanted to give up vuze and use utorrent but I have reconsidered it precisely when I have seen how the devs here didn't give a shit about users.

Archived