Torrents load, but have a delayed start

spacedog

I have a friend with a current stable version of uTorrent 1.6.4 on his MacOS running Lion.

Whenever we select and start a torrent via magnet links it shows up in his uTorrent, but it won't find any seeds or peers and it will stay stuck that way for quite some time (15 minutes to an hour). Then, all of sudden, it will start to download and work just fine.

If multiple torrents are queued they will all stall and then when one of them goes, they all start to work.

We have compared it against my computer using the same torrent and for me the torrent starts immediately, so we know it's not a problem with the torrent.

We have disabled the firewall in MacOSX to see if that has any effect, but it didn't make a difference.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

Because of the additional time required to obtain the torrent's metadata, torrents obtained via magnet links will ALWAYS have a delay.

Yeah, but this goes way beyond the metadata delay on magnets. We are talking about 15 minutes to one hour. That also doesn't explain all torrents starting simultaneously.

Also, when doing comparisons, the torrent on my windows client starts within in a few seconds, when the one on the Mac takes sooooo long.

Bryin, do you see the problem with magnet links only or also with torrent files themselves?

Because of the additional time required to obtain the torrent's metadata, torrents obtained via magnet links will ALWAYS have a delay.

I undertand that. I've tried both magnet and mirror links and have the same (lack of) activity. Interestingly, one torrent started just as I would have expected it to yesterday...so I must have just timed "it" right as I tried to replicate that with an older episode (of the same show) and then it sat there like the rest of my waiting torrents.

Restarting uTorrent doesn't work...restarting my system, then restarting uTorrent doesn't work...am stumped.

I was away for a few weeks, but I can point this only happening within the last month or so that I've been d/l-ing.

I guess not, spacedog. I got tired of the issues...moved to Transmission, instead...no issues with it. Thanks for the thread.

Well, that pretty much tells us that there is not a problem with your computer, ISP, firewall, etc.... and that the problem is most likely a bug in uTorrent.

Given the forum activity here, I'd say the devs don't seem to care much about uTorrent for Mac.

Glad to hear Transmission works fine.

Thanks for reporting!

Dev team will look at this bug.

Ahh good to know the devs are watching here!

I know in the configuration I looked at the uTorrent client was very standard. Behind a NAT, uPnP enabled, software and hardware firewall disabled. When torrents eventually started they would get the green check mark indicating that it was all OK. The uTorrent connection tests also worked fine.

Perhaps some of the other users from the thread can comment on their configurations...

Pretty much the same config as spacedog. uTorrent should work with the usual configuration and the green icon and it doesn't.

I also decided to switch to Transmission, it just works (and it's open source, if you happen to dig that).

Since this forum is ineffective for figuring out our uTorrent woes, I'm curious if you are having an issue with Transmission not installing into your applications folder? I've got it working, but when I close it, it disappears and I have to reinstall to get it back.

Since this forum is ineffective for figuring out our uTorrent woes, I'm curious if you are having an issue with Transmission not installing into your applications folder? I've got it working, but when I close it, it disappears and I have to reinstall to get it back.

uTorrent seems to have acknowledged this issue and are investigating.

You might get a response on Transmission here, but to be fair, this is really not the place to discuss Transmission.

I'd suggest searching/posting on their forums https://forum.transmissionbt.com/

They also have an IRC channel so you might be able to get a fast response by chatting irc://irc.freenode.net/transmission

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
We are working on this problem.

Thanks for reporting!

I don't know if it helps with the problem hunting or to use the utorrent under OS X, but if you stack a few torrents, you wanna download, they get the peers, but the transfer won't start. If you close the application totally (not running in the background) and start it again, the transfer is going to start like it should.

So guys, you are doing something during the startup, which solves the problem and what you not do very often during the running of the application.

Please do something about that, I like utorrent on windows, but on the mac it is really frustrating.

By the way, magnet links are usually working fine...

Archived