Trackers on Strike

WLS

If you are having problems with these trackers, this is the reason.

penBitTorrent and PublicBitTorrent, the two largest BitTorrent trackers on the Internet, are on strike. Both trackers are going offline to protest the unresponsiveness of the makers of uTorrent who were asked to introduce a simple protocol enhancement that would save the non-profit trackers thousands of dollars. As a result of the protest, many people are having trouble downloading files on BitTorrent.

Trackers Offline

I think maybe Fredrik should have posted his request in the Windows > Features section of this forum instead.

From what I can tell it looks like a few other trackers are also not working, but I'm sure we'll know more in the next 12-24 hours.

I'm interested in hearing the official position on this. I don't think it's uTorrent or BitTorrent's job to cater the needs of this user or that tracker, but it's the logical thing to do and it's how the protocol has advanced and not fragmented.

Also, I'd be disappointed to see censorship of this issue on these forums, and we're likely to see more of it as users come to the forums unable to download certain torrents and not knowing the reason. I already had my post on this nuked from here: https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=122126

I already had my post on this nuked from here:

Because you didn't bother trying to figure out what was actually going on. You just assumed that it was related when there's a high chance it's not.

It can't hurt to point out that 2 major trackers are offline. Better to give users more potential solutions and viewpoints. That's what the sticky already is, a big list. But, if there are many torrents and users affected today, I think you'll be the one slipping in the mention along with your forum sticky link, because there could well be throngs coming in to post only because of this novelty situation.

Archived