Disk Overloaded 100%

the1stmagician

Anyone know why this is happening frequently now even when I have only a couple of torrents dl'ing and none seeding. As Utorrent loads the torrents download like crazy then as it gets near to finishing loading it shows disk overloaded 100% and the dl speed drops of to next to nothing. I used to have 6, 8, 15 torrents dl'ing at once without a problem. Could this be because I am getting down to the last 70 gigs of hard drive space on a 500 gig hard drive? Anyway that is my question and dilemma. Any help would be welcome. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The "disk overloaded 100%" message means that write cache is full, there arrive more download data, but utorrent hasn't flushed cache to disk for some reason (disk is busy by allocating space for files in torrent, some swapping happening etc.) You could try increasing write cache size in Prefs - Advanced - Disk cache - Override automatic cache... and monitoring "Disk statistics" in "Speed" tab in lower pane.

After some experiments I came to 300Mb instead of default 32 for my case. Originally I came to 128 Mb, and it was fine for torrents with one file of about 600Mb, but then I had to increase it to current 300Mb to handle larger torrents (now it works fine for any torrent of any size).

Note, that value is for my system with rather slow disk, your value could be less, it depends on disk performance, RAM size, download speed. Just make few experiments increasing the cache a little every time. Or you could set it to the 2/3 of your RAM, add the large torrent with many sources (for maximizing download speed) and note the maximum of "Queue" value. Then set the cache size to that value increased by 20-50 Mb for security.

• 8 months later...
I have had this disk 100% happen and a failure to flush to disk. All has happened since installing utorrent 3.3 My system is running windows xp pro 32 bit.

I've had this problem allot when I was allocating the disc. I turned it off, and everything was okay. No problems with disk 100%. I know that this is dangerous because you have to monitor your disk usage, but if you only have a few torrent jobs (15-20), and you have you downloads go to a dedicated drive (not your boot drive!) with some space (I use a 2TB internal WD Black HDD), then you shouldn't have to worry too much. But if you're a mega downloader (100+ torrent jobs at a time), then I would suggest you get a larger drive. Remember, the more jobs you have downloading, the more difficult you will have with the disk %100 happening because uTorrent is writing to the disk allot. How would you like to have homework for one subject? That wouldn't be too hard. Now, let say you have homework in all your subjects that day, and they were all due the next day. That would be more difficult to handle and getting it all right. The computer is the same way. The more it's doing, the more problems you MIGHT have.

Now, if you have an awesome custom built machine that's maxed out on everything (64Gb Mem. 2 X 4TB WD internal Black drives, i7 Extreme, etc..) Then you are talking a different story. But if you do have that type of system, you wouldn't need our help. :D

Archived