Download speeds dropping to under 10 kbp/s

atario

Hello all, so I've been having these problems with Utorrent, where previously I had none. At seemingly random times my download speed drops from an average of 1,2 mbp/s to less than 10 kbp/s. All these torrents are well-seeded and such problems never used to occur. Sometimes a week goes by where I don't have this problem, and then I have a day like today where I have to restart Utorrent every 2 minutes so I can get a minute of 1,2mbp/s after which it always drops down to below 10kbp/s, this goes for all files I'm downloading.

I've worked my way through the guides step by step and tried everything from using different ports, to the firewall stuff, adding/re-adding and even disabling the firewall alltogether, I tried the Glasnost test which told me there shouldn't be a problem. In the client itself it shows the green button with a V in it, signaling that I should be optimally connected.I tried the protocol encryption stuff, I even tried all those advanced settings but to no avail. I tried files with 10.000+ seeders to see if it was a seeder thing but no, same thing happens.

What's weird is that I didn't used to have these problems and now all of a sudden it seems to happen with increasing frequency. I'd figure that before I switch to some other client there might be something I'm overlooking?

I'm currently using Utorrent 3.2 on windows vista home premium. My hardware specs include:

Intel core 2 duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz and 2.27GHz

4gig RAM

32 bit

If anyone could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

For now downgrading seems to have fixed the problem. I'm running 1.8.5 now and it's holding steady around 850 kbp/s cumulatively. Yay.

Mayhaps an idea for the good people at Utorrent to make a lite version which is basically an old version with a shiny shiny interface. At least I can get back to my anime. wooh.

I just found the fairly daunting list of required info with many terms I'm unfamiliar with, so I'm going to pass on the crash course in IT and run old-as-dirt-but-functional 1.8.5

I just needed a quick fix for tonight, maybe I'll update to 2.5 or something tomorrow.

Thanks anyway.

Archived