Instruct uTorrent to fetch only last n pieces/segments/fragments ?

Cycling-fan

I use uTorrent mainly for fetching videos of cycle racing, and these (particularly in HD) can be quite large : 7Gb or more. Often the first 4/5 of the race is uneventful, and I would willingly forgo watching that part so long as I can watch (say) the last 50Km. Is it possible using uTorrent to instuct it to fetch only the last n pieces/segments/fragments of the file, which I could then post-process to make it a valid video file once again ?

OK, thank you, will do. I imagine the idea might be attractive to many, since if we can download less "waste" this will release bandwidth for genuinely needed material. Now done : link is http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-%C2%B5torrent-for-windows/suggestions/3018794-consider-allowing-users-to-selectively-download-on. Please let me know if you think that the suggestion could be improved or refined.

Yes, that is sometimes done, but these guys are busy and in general I would prefer to leave them to their capturing, editing, conversion and uploading rather than add to their burden by asking them to split the result into multi-part videos. Also some (perhaps many) will want the video to play seamlessly, not have it artificially split into two or more parts.

Please let me know if you think that the suggestion could be improved or refined.

It looks good to me. Now, as I wrote, you got to show the developers that there is a real demand for this other than one fan. Actually, as the size of torrents is increasing and ISP's limiting users traffic, the idea makes some sense. Good Luck.

Archived