Problem with utorrent since last update

Heisenberg912

I have been experiencing a problem with utorrent since the last update. I had not experienced it before and I've not changed any settings since the update. I've not changed any hardware, or the router, so I'm pretty sure it is something to do with utorrent itself.

I am running windows 7 ultimate and the latest version of utorrent.

The issue I am having is that torrents will start running OK and can go at the full speed of my connection if there are enough peers. After some time, usually about 15 or 20 minutes, the torrent will start to slow down - the speed will slowly drop until eventually it hits zero. But when it does this it's not just utorrent that stops. All internet activity on my PC will stop. I am unable to use the internet in a browser and a little yellow warning icon appears over my network signal strength icon in the system tray warning me that I have lost internet connectivity. If I disconnect from the wireless network and then reconnect to it, the connection still does not work. The only way to be able to use the internet again is to restart my PC.

As you can imagine this is extremely annoying. I've tried fiddling around with settings but not had any luck. It also makes no difference if I throttle the bandwidth. I've tried setting utorrent to unlimited and had a download running at a solid 1.5 MB/s download that then died after about 15-20 minutes. Last night I set a download running and deliberately throttled it low. The download was going at a steady 50kb/s and then died after about 15-20 minutes.

I am completely at a loss at what to do about this. Any suggestions would be welcome. Please also let me know if you need me to provide more information. I don't really want to change torrent client if possible.

Thanks in advance

Heisenberg912

When activity crawls, have u looked at Task Mgr - Performance tab to see how much CPU & memory is being used - for uT & other apps? Also which processes are using how much. Look at the "Private Working Set" & Working Set memory (may have to add one of those columns - thru "View" (if W7 task mgr is still like Vista's).

If uT's using most of CPU and / or Mem, may try a clean uninstall / reinstall w/ fresh uT D/L. You could try backing up settings.dat (settings / prefs), & starting w/ a clean settings file. Of course, you'd have to reset all "necessary" settings. Just as a test, use the setup guide (ctrl + G) & then download some torrents w/ the clean settings.dat file (other than settings that "setup guide" changes). If that works, BU that settings.dat & rename it temporarily. Then copy over your old settings.dat (w/ all customized settings) & see if uT is OK or acts up. Go from there.

Latest v3.2 stable is working for me in Vista.

Possibility uT is "malfunctioning," but also possible some other app, OR u have malware using ur bandwidth. Though, unlikely malware would only steal BW when uT was running. If task mgr doesn't cut it, a freeware prgm to show real time network / internet activity is Networx.

Now running version 3.2, and also updated to latest network adapter drivers. I did a clean install of utorrent and only updated a few settings (bandwidth limits, scheduler and directories).

Had the same issue last night but it did take longer to manifest. When checking task manager the utorrent process was using about 20mb memory and 1% processor.

Very puzzling!

Heis

Did you set uT to Force Outgoing Encryption & UNcheck "Allow incoming Legacy" (legacy = unencrypted)?

Save settings & restart uT, just to be sure settings were in effect?

What was the REST of your CPU / RAM usage like? Did u still have plenty of free CPU capacity & free RAM (or at least large amt of cached RAM)? If yes on both, then another few things are possibilities.

BTW, what are your system specs: OS, processor, RAM, etc?

* Does this usually happen around same time each day?

* If u DON'T use uT, does internet still slow way down, at similar times of day? ISP's sometimes throttle EVERYTHING back - for hours - at certain times of day.

If u didn't make change for using encryption - both in & out, your ISP could be "shaping" (limiting) bandwidth because of detecting P2P.

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs

http://filesharefreak.com/2009/05/07/test-your-isp-for-traffic-shaping-with-shaperprobe/

If in task mgr, under Performance tab, don't have a lot of unused CPU resource & don't have a lot of free (or cached) RAM, need to see what all is running in background. If a bunch of stuff starts w/ Windows, that don't need to, need to stop them. Best tool I know of is free - AutoRuns from SysInternals. Needs no installation. It will also show in more detail than task mgr what is running & how much RAM is used.

After you do these, post back & can discuss few more settings, your AV prgm, possibility someone stealing your wireless router connection / bandwidth (not uncommon IF - not using right router protection & STRONG wireless PW).

@Amber89:

I followed your suggestion of 'Did you set uT to Force Outgoing Encryption & UNcheck "Allow incoming Legacy" (legacy = unencrypted)?' and the torrent ran successfully last night for over 9 hours without dying. I will try and test it again but it seems that it could well be fixed.

Just curious: any idea why that worked?

Thanks

Heis

IF.... it fixed it (& not just coincidence), may be because, as I said, some ISPs limit or even stop d/l of P2P sharing files, once their system identifies the files.

If you force uT to use encryption outbound, & refuse to accept inbound unless also encrypted, ISPs can't identify what you're d/l - only the size.

They may still throttle everyone on the system at certain times & has nothing to do w/ uT. If you follow up on suggestions of determining if your ISP is choking torrents, may answer the question.

Double check your wireless router's TYPE of encryption - should have WPA2 as selection, which offers stronger protection.

Because neighbors & thieves can & do use equip & software to try & crack weak wireless network PWs, the router's wireless access PW's should use random Up / Lower case letters, #s, spec. characters. At least 20 characters - 25 is much better. No, you won't memorize it or type it in manually. Store it in an encrypted file, on CD / Flash drive - then copy / paste. For encrypting on HDD, can use 7-zip. Just use a strong PW to protect the 7zip file, or store it on removable media.

Archived