Is streaming broken or am I missing the concept?

Moshe

Hi,

Here's a quote from this website's FAQ section "How does streaming work":

Normally, µTorrent downloads pieces of a file in random order. For example, it may download a piece from the first 10 seconds of a file and then another from the middle of the file and so on. While this is the most efficient way to download files, it doesn't allow for continuous playback of files from start-to-finish until the entire file is completed.

When a user invokes streaming for a file, uTorrent gets the files in order from start to finish. This allows a user to actually play the file while it's still downloading.

When I press the stream button while watching the pieces, I can see maybe 5-10% of the start of the file being allocated, the problem is, the rest of the file piece allocation remains in random mode, making only the initial 5-10% viewable while the media is downloading.

I'm using version 3.2 final (free).

I am only trying to stream one file.

DreadWingKnight:

The issue is with all torrents, even ones that are very well seeded.

Are you saying that ordered packet downloads for the entire file is only available in the 'plus' version? If this is the case, It would be nice if it was labeled somewhere for clarity.

DreadWingKnight:

If you give me an example of a torrent that has the 'conditions allowing streaming', I will gladly test it.

I did test 50+ torrents over 2 months with Win7 32bit/64bit and it always behaves the same way (regardless of media format), 5-10% of the packets at the start of the file being allocated first and the rest with randomly allocated packets.

I tried multiple trackers, both private and public.

DreadWingKnight:

I tried this on torrents with 1000+ seeders and only 100's of downloading peers.

This would seem an ideal condition for streaming...

And how can no one have any packets if there are plenty of seeders in the swarm?

And how is this consistent with every torrent I tried under the most optimal conditions?

Your described conditions don't factor in the number of those seeds that are dividing their connection enough ways to have each peer they're uploading to getting less than 1kbyte/sec.

Honestly the conditions on all the swarms you've tired are not conducive to streaming. Number of seeds on the torrents isn't enough, nor is seed:peer ratio.

I have been having the same problem. From what DreadWingKnight has been saying it seems like streaming would never work properly in just about every real life torrent situation, its the fact that it only ever wants the get the very beginning of the file that's so annoying, claiming that say a 350MB file with 700kb/s download speed will take 2-3 seconds to stream, and then downloads a few seconds of footage then stops trying stream. :mad:

Archived