Bandwidth allocation setting for torrents has no effect

hkBattousai

I have a limited internet connection (only 1Mbps), and have two torrents (A and B) downloading.

A: popular torrent with high number of seeds and peers

B: rare torrent with low number of seeds and peers

"A" gets 90% of the bandwith most of the time. I alter their default settings and give "A" low bandwidth allocation, and give "B" high bandwidth allocation, but it just doesn't make any difference.

I don't want to simply limit download speed of "A", because it doesn't increase number of seeds and peers "B" gets, and it is not an efficient and optimal way of distributing the bandwidth equally.

The setting "bandwidth allocation" (right click on a torrent, context menu opens > menu item "Bandwidth Allocation" > High/Normal/Low) just has no effect. Priority setting between files in a torrent works great, but there must be a working priority setting between torrents too.

Do you plan to improve efficient peer & seed distribution between torrents? Or, do you already have that and I'm missing something?

------------

My settings:

Global number of connections: 250

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: 50

Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download): 5

Maximum number of active downloads: 3

uTorrent version: 3.1.3

Thank you for your reply.

Bandwidth allocation (low/normal/high) is only a very minor attempt to preference bandwidth one way or another. It never affects things as much as you're expecting.

Then, is there a solution?

Seed and peer distribution among active torrents won't help with speed distribution.

I understand that number of peers connected is not a clear measure of download speed, but it is roughly/slightly related. It would have been nice if there was an option for this.

Archived