trackers all dead

rafaelmacsino

I am a total newbie at this, so I apologise for my naivety. I found a list of trackers for 2012 and normally add them to the trackest for my torrents. I notice now that not single tracker from this list is active. Offline timed out, No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. Host name not found. Connection timed out. And so forth.

Have I missed configuring something or is this a known problem? Any information or asistance would be most appreciated.

Rafa Macsino

Thank you DreadWingKnight for a miraculously quick reply. That's an excellent explanation and I can only say DOH! It's just what I thought . . . but no longer.

But why then are those public tracker lists put out and why are they all dead? No, if I'm not going to use them it doesn't matter. Einstein said "the important thing is not to stop questioning" and what's good enough for him is good enough for me.

That article is very slanted to a specific point of view. The analogy of calling a rock climbing club a tracker and then equating a pub as a tracker is comparing apples to oranges. It would be better if he/she tried to compare two different rock climbing clubs where some members are in both and some are not. He might as well picked/compaired the rock climbing club to a park bench or a public bathroom. That would have made just as much sense.

Also for private torrents DHT is not allowed and you cannot enable it. So recommending DHT as the answer to be all and end all does not address private torrents.

I am assuming that the totals displayed in the main window for seeds and peers are unique - or should be - at least in uTorrent it would seem likely simply because the number reported is not the total of all Seeds and Peers reported by trackers.

What determines whether it "helps" or not is if you are able to obtain additional Seeds/Peers that you are able to connect to and will NOT snub you.

Granted that if I added trackers and the new Peers were added to the bottom of the list - assuming there is such a list - and the max connections is reached prior to ever getting to the x number of additional peers - they would never be used and therefore a waste of resources to get them. (I do not know how the list is processed or even if it exists.) Or if uTorrent sees a peer snubing it, will close/drop it and move on to the next one on the list. (I have seen IPs that have snubed me remain open for - what I thought - a long time.) And then perhaps eventually the entire list will be tried or retried until the maximum number of connections for the torrent is reached.

One thing I have noticed is I have never reached the maximum number of connections per torrent. It usually runs at 50-60% range. It would help if Peer Level logging could be set at the torrent level - otherwise one would have to pick a slow or non moving torrent and move it over to a uTorrent that would test that specific torrent to see what was going on - whether the numbr of IPs tried is equal to the number of Seeders+Peers if maximum numbr of connections per torrent is not reached.

It would be better if he/she tried to compare two different rock climbing clubs where some members are in both and some are not.

Except that your idea is not how reality is working. Adding trackers to torrents is EXACTLY like going to a pub to meet rock climbers.

All you're doing by adding tracker lists to torrents is wasting resources on something that gives you no benefit.

DWK - So if there are two rock climbing clubs - I could not join both? Would you agree - that in the case of rock climbing clubs - most people would only join one club. But perhaps a fanatic would join more than one. I do not see how you can define as an example of a tracker as a rock climbing club and another as a pub. They serve two different purposes.

Lets assume that there is some basis for the article. Why in the would there ever be more than 1 tracker in a torrent? Do you know of any torrent client that only supports a single tracker (excluding DHT)? In the authors opinion, it serves little or no purpose to add any more than one tracker. If that was true, then torrent clients should have only allowed a single tracker to be listed in the torrent.

Why are the number of Seeders/Peers reported by trackers (ones defined in the original torrent) different? Are you saying all the users out there remove all the trackers except one randomly selected tracker so the list of trackers that are part of the torrent - assuming I did not delete any that were defined in the download torrent - reflected different number of peers? The "real world" as shown by tracker reports on the number of Peers does not seem to support that article. Can there be duplicate IPs being reported by several trackers? You bet. Can there be some that are on one trackers report and not on anothers? Yes again. And assuming the number reported on the uTorrent main window reflects the actual number of unique IP and when that number is larger than any one specific tracker report - there can be a benefit - assuming the torrent client gets to those IPs and gives them a try. I like most people want to connect to as many peers as I can to the maximum I have set - with the goal to reach the highest throughput. Until everyone sets there bandwidth to unlimited (upload/download) so that there is no benefit of connecting to an additional Peer - then there will always be the desire to get additional peers - even by way of adding another tracker - in the hope of connecting to that one peer that will upload to you at what ever speed you can take.

I can understand you agreeing with the author - it supports your point of view. I respectfully don't.

Archived