A few notes on the upcoming changes to uTorrent

R3TR0

hmm ... I am a bit curious here -

How many of the people here stopped using Google (website|search) since they've started showing sponsored ads/links on top (plus clicked your IP away on *every* link you've found)?

Have any of you stopped using youtube since they are showing a sponsored clip on top when you search ?

Adblock Plus does fix issues like these.

And there are 1000s more examples of ad-ware the we all use.

My experience is: if it needs ads it's crap. My advice is simple: don't install ad-ware.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very disheartening to read how utorrent is a company that generates between $15 and $20 million in annual revenue and now with ads, that number will become stratospheric. Seems to me that greed is the real issue here. Veiled under the premise of "improvements and changes that we think you are going to like." So very sad. Those early days of utorrent and the absolute ease of use are now gone. This bloated whale is about to wash up on a beach somewhere to be pecked by scavengers(aka advertising execs).

Thanks for a fun ride utorrent. You built some incredible software here. It's a shame it has to come to this. Best of luck to you. Enjoy laying on a hammock under a palm tree sipping mai tais and smoking fatties. Afterall, that's the goal in life, right? :P

Such a letdown. :mad:

Lol, typical company reply.

We listen to you guys! No really! You are going to love the ads! No popups!

The one and only thing you guys can do to save utorrent at this moment is to back track as hard and quickly as possible though its probably too late. You have shown your hand.

I get it, r00t4rd3d. You're leaving, and we suck. Despite all this, just maybe we're not as terrible as you think, just maybe we'll make good for users like you. I hope so. And if we can make you and others like you happy, I will in turn be very happy if you decide to come back. Sorry it ends this way...for now! Good luck. :)

The ONLY way you could possibly "make good" is to stop this nonsense and get your heads together. Apparently you don't mind your loyal users running away in droves. Can't believe I ever donated to the cause. That was the point of donating to begin with... so that you DIDN'T end up like this. Unreal. :rolleyes:

The ONLY way you could possibly "make good" is to stop this nonsense and get your heads together. Apparently you don't mind your loyal users running away in droves. Can't believe I ever donated to the cause. That was the point of donating to begin with... so that you DIDN'T end up like this. Unreal. :rolleyes:

I don't know what to say. We haven't even released the product yet. Our loyal users are the very first people we discussed this with. And here I am at nearly 3am talking to you, a loyal user. To say we don't mind what our loyal users do...I don't get it. Perhaps I'm just digging myself in further and there's nothing I can say. I will say...will you hang in there with us a bit more, Bombora? And others of you? Again, at least see how things play out here. Will you keep talking? I hope so.

I just registered to thank you for the announcement. If not for this, I would not have researched my alternatives and re-discovered uTorrent 2.2.1.

So again, thank you so much! I had forgotten how great 2.x was, and will be using it as my default client from now on.

Just registered to say, I am really disappointed you guys are going to include ads within the application when you're making revenue. That's very greedy and lame.

However, because you're so blind and going to implement ads within the application, can you NOT use a client's IP to display local ads, but during set up, have a quick survey of their general location and interests and tell the ad companies to work from that? I feel this would satisfy A LOT of users currents hates and you'd maximise privacy for the user.

I just registered to thank you for the announcement. If not for this, I would not have researched my alternatives and re-discovered uTorrent 2.2.1.

So again, thank you so much! I had forgotten how great 2.x was, and will be using it as my default client from now on.

Actually, I really like this idea! Was this the last version without the apps as well?

The point is - I'd try and keep an open mind about it, wait and see the implementation, and keep my judgment until then!

There are many other ways to implement More income/revenue for the continuing development of utorrent although the millions per year quotes in the article should be more than enough!

Do they really need more to keep their lights on?

Why are you adding this feature to the free version when you have the plus bringing in income!

Slow down...smell the coffee...

This new feature will be obtrusive and will use more real estate for some...Many do not want to see this everytime they open up utorrent...

Remember in many cases $$$ destroys for various reasons and it also clouds judgement decisions!

BUT If you must it needs to be added to the sidebar with an option to either hide it or disable it per user.

I'm trying to be opened minded about this but all I see is making more $$$.

And please don't take the peoples opinions on this matter lightly!

Some have been loyal and/or contributors for years and those you really do not want to lose!

Well to be honest after reading through this thread I do have the smallest hope for utorrent, which I did not have when I came to this post from torrentfreak's website. I've been a user for years and have to say 99% of what 3.x brought to the product I found completely useless vs. the bloat, bugs and performance hit that came with it. While I've already turned off updating in my client to make sure I don't get the ad version shoved down my throat.

I think something that could be very successful for you is to create a paid version that is in the spirit of the 2.x series of the product. I'd pay for a lean, fast, bug-free, media player free, antivirus free, media converter free, etc...... version of utorrent, where I would never even remotely consider paying a penny for the 3.x bloatware "so called plus" version, nor would I EVER click an ad that is forced on me.

The reality is the original uTorrent died when BitTorrent took it over, the development team that took it over had a completely different vision and goal than what the original uTorrent client had. Hopefully you guys really do read feedback and will be able to salvage this product that has been slipping faster and faster downhill. It'll take some major adjustments (and cramming ads down peoples throats isn't the kind of adjustments you'll need to save this once great "best" client). I really do feel that creating another "version/flavor" of uTorrent is what could end up keeping you on top. Offering up a "lean" no-frills, small, fast client could be very viable as even a paid for product with the ad-supported "bloated version" being what the 3.x line is today and then the paid for "super bloated" version being the plus client that you have today.

Just my 2 cents, now that I have upgrades turned off in utorrent I'm off to test out deluge and tixati to see how well they perform.

I don't know what to say.

I can tell you exactly what to say. Here goes:

"We here at uTorrent have pulled our heads out of our asses and realized no one wants ads in their torrent client. We have scraped that plan and uTorrent will stay ad free and we will get back to our original goal of a light weight torrent client. Have an awesome day!"

Easy as that man.

I absolutely loved uTorrent up to version 2.0.4. After that, things started to go down hill.

The addition of apps/extension is a neat idea; however, I have absolutely no use or desire for them. For a web browser, they make sense. For an application designed to just run in the background, they don't offer any advantage. Thankfully, 2.2.x allowed you to hide the apps panel, which made this less of an issue.

Since then, what has been added? A featured content section with a giant arrow pointing at it, a transcoder, social functions (ratings and comments on torrents), and a few other things including ads in the setup wizard. Not to mention a "Plus" version, which just tacks on a bunch of other things I have no use for and frankly hate.

Now you are adding ads to the UI. I don't really see any appeal in the current or next version of uTorrent.

If you want to get money out of me, and restore faith in your product, release a "lite" version of uTorrent. Hell, I would gladly pay the "Pro" price for it. Strip out the apps, ads, social functions, all the "Plus" features, transcoder, setup wizards ads, and so one and you've sold me.

All I want from uTorrent is what is was originally designed to be, a minimalist and no-nonsense client. Just a basic downloader with no bloat.

How many of the people here stopped using Google (website|search) since they've started showing sponsored ads/links on top (plus clicked your IP away on *every* link you've found)?

Have any of you stopped using youtube since they are showing a sponsored clip on top when you search ?

... Who knows... it may also motivate uTorrent devs to improve the client even more over the competition, so to get even more people to use it (true, and make more profits.

your point is moot, smart people use ad block. smart people will also not use crapware when there are better alternatives available. besides that, if the latest changes are any indication of what utorrent inc. thinks of as an "improvement", their eagerness to work on utorrent is inversely proportional to its quality.

If you want to get money out of me, and restore faith in your product, release a "lite" version of uTorrent. Hell, I would gladly pay the "Pro" price for it. Strip out the apps, ads, social functions, all the "Plus" features, transcoder, setup wizards ads, and so one and you've sold me.

All I want from uTorrent is what is was originally designed to be, a minimalist and no-nonsense client. Just a basic downloader with no bloat.

liston to this man. i would pay a fiver for that.

^ I have not. The reason is - those tools/apps/sites give you something useful, and maybe a bit better than others do!

Simple answer: AdBlockPlus

I'm able to do something to rid of it so I'm fine with using said product.

With uTorrent though I don't think that'll be possible (Unless they allow so, of course)

POint being, if you can have an option to NOT see it, then I'm sticking with uTorrent, but if not, I can easily disregard it and use qBittorrent/Tixati.

The point is - I'd try and keep an open mind about it, wait and see the implementation, and keep my judgment until then!

There are many other ways to implement More income/revenue for the continuing development of utorrent although the millions per year quotes in the article should be more than enough!

Do they really need more to keep their lights on?

Why are you adding this feature to the free version when you have the plus bringing in income!

Slow down...smell the coffee...

This new feature will be obtrusive and will use more real estate for some...Many do not want to see this everytime they open up utorrent...

Remember in many cases $$$ destroys for various reasons and it also clouds judgement decisions!

BUT If you must it needs to be added to the sidebar with an option to either hide it or disable it per user.

I'm trying to be opened minded about this but all I see is making more $$$.

And please don't take the peoples opinions on this matter lightly!

Some have been loyal and/or contributors for years and those you really do not want to lose!

LIstening here. :) Thanks for staying with us, and especially for keeping an open mind. We can adjust, which is exactly why we're having this conversation pre-release. Please keep engaging with us.

Your post brings up an important point: What are we doing with our revenue?

- For one thing, we continue to invest in the product reduced memory consumption, improved disk performance, improved utp, improved stability, and again - NO big new features planned (we may even trim).

- We invest in bringing UT to new platforms: android, WinRT, Chrome OS, TVs, DMAs, etc.

- We invest in other decentralized, free, user-controlled p2p systems: Live, Storage, Backup, Search, etc.

- We work with artists, large and small, to get them in front of our users, present and even monetize their content on their behalf as an alternative to the usual channels. See http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/gear-up/dj-shadow-becomes-first-artist-to-strike-payment-deal-with-bittorrent-20120731 and http://blog.utorrent.com/2012/07/26/whats-new-the-dj-shadow-revolution-radiohead-is-our-friend-last-day-to-win-more/

The point is, we're doing a lot more than we ever have, and that takes people and resources.

I absolutely loved uTorrent up to version 2.0.4. After that, things started to go down hill.

The addition of apps/extension is a neat idea; however, I have absolutely no use or desire for them. For a web browser, they make sense. For an application designed to just run in the background, they don't offer any advantage. Thankfully, 2.2.x allowed you to hide the apps panel, which made this less of an issue.

Since then, what has been added? A featured content section with a giant arrow pointing at it, a transcoder, social functions (ratings and comments on torrents), and a few other things including ads in the setup wizard. Not to mention a "Plus" version, which just tacks on a bunch of other things I have no use for and frankly hate.

Now you are adding ads to the UI. I don't really see any appeal in the current or next version of uTorrent.

Very well said, SimpleToe. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and your very concrete, alternative suggestions. I wonder how many would buy a "lite" version as you suggest with exactly the properties you list, with the only additions being the security, performance and "fundamentals" (bug fixes, better magnet link handling, etc) we've added over the years. I'm very interested to hear others' thoughts on this idea.

Still listening...

I think something that could be very successful for you is to create a paid version that is in the spirit of the 2.x series of the product. I'd pay for a lean, fast, bug-free, media player free, antivirus free, media converter free, etc...... version of utorrent, where I would never even remotely consider paying a penny for the 3.x bloatware "so called plus" version, nor would I EVER click an ad that is forced on me.

This.

Despite it's ridiculous to be willing to pay for something that has basic functionality :P I know I would, though. I also know it's not happening.

Lite version just like it was ages ago, I'd pay $50 for that right now, if I was guaranteed it'd stay that way.

I am a loyal user of uTorrent for years.

I just registered to tell you to read the title of the program.

It should stay true to its name and as the looks of it now you are misunderstanding the principle of uTorrent.

It is meant to be a micro torrent, not the crap that has been lately added.

Please rethink your decisions because from the looks of it, you are digging your own grave.

Read the responses of the users and you see almost all users disagree with your decisions, so it is logical that it would be a wrong decision to implement your nonsense.

And stop saying the users should wait to see how it plays out, because we all know how it will play out.

As if this never happened to other once good programs.

Good luck on your next update, i hope you will make the right decision.

No, I haven't stopped using Google, I've just installed Adblock Plus. When some text ad or a banner comes through I simply edit my filters.

And I haven't stopped using YouTube, all I did is wrote a simple Greasemonkey script. As for video ads, it came as news for me that YouTube showed them. I didn't even know there are video ads until a year or two ago. And I mean it, haven't seen even one video ad on YouTube (or any video / streaming service for that matter) in my life.

In fact I don't see anything on YouTube except search field, video player, number of views and a video description, all of it on a nice #000000 background. No 'featured' or 'recommended' crap, no comments and, of course, no ads.

I use NoScript and Ghostery, have flash and any other embeds blocked by default. My browser doesn't accept cookies not only from 3-rd party sites but from any site, except from 8-10 specifically whitelisted. Good luck to ad-companies with tracking.

So no. Ads are not ok. I'm not in a tiniest bit interested in what some advertisers think they have to offer me. If I'll need it I'll get it with no one telling me what to do and what to buy. Not to mention the fact that if someone have the power to push crap on you when they feel like it, this power will be abused.

I remember times of IE6 and what average website was like back then. It was so fun when you click one link and have 10 windows open in background. I've stopped watching TV for the similar reason a long time ago. Ads upon ads upon ads. It became just unbearable.

And it's what so awesome about computers and the Internet. You're in control. Don't like some website? Don't go there. Don't like how the site looks? Well, it renders on YOUR computer, how about that? It will look like anything YOU want. See pointless features in a new version of a program that's already good? Don't update. Don't like this particular program? Don't use it. Use another one. Write another one.

Again, just registered like many others. I've used the program since the very beginning. but I'm still on 2.04

After that the micro in program's name, sort of got lost. I stay with that version as long as it'll work.

But I'm sincerely sorry to not only see you shoot yourself in the foot, but also the amputate yourself from the neck downwards. You're on the road to wreck and ruin, and the good news is, your making damn good time.

I don't know what to say. We haven't even released the product yet. Our loyal users are the very first people we discussed this with. And here I am at nearly 3am talking to you, a loyal user. To say we don't mind what our loyal users do...I don't get it. Perhaps I'm just digging myself in further and there's nothing I can say. I will say...will you hang in there with us a bit more, Bombora? And others of you? Again, at least see how things play out here. Will you keep talking? I hope so.

you haven't discussed anything with us, you simply said "next version is going to have ads, lol". that's not a discussion. if you were listening to what we're saying now, you'd recall that decision. again, no discussion, only talking at us.

Your post brings up an important point: What are we doing with our revenue?

- For one thing, we continue to invest in the product reduced memory consumption, improved disk performance, improved utp, improved stability, and again - NO big new features planned (we may even trim).

- We invest in bringing UT to new platforms: android, WinRT, Chrome OS, TVs, DMAs, etc.

- We invest in other decentralized, free, user-controlled p2p systems: Live, Storage, Backup, Search, etc.

- We work with artists, large and small, to get them in front of our users, present and even monetize their content on their behalf as an alternative to the usual channels. See http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/gear-up/dj-shadow-becomes-first-artist-to-strike-payment-deal-with-bittorrent-20120731 and http://blog.utorrent.com/2012/07/26/whats-new-the-dj-shadow-revolution-radiohead-is-our-friend-last-day-to-win-more/

The point is, we're doing a lot more than we ever have, and that takes people and resources.

yeah, come back when you've removed all the useless crud in 3.x (especially retarded context menu items like "converted files" - who the hell uses a download program for conversion?) and i'll gladly update. (ads obviously fall under "useless crud").

Archived