A few notes on the upcoming changes to uTorrent

R3TR0

I fail to see how one ad could mutilate a bittorrent client. µTorrent is an excellent application which comes for free, but you must understand that its development doesn't. You just have no authority to sit in judgment over that.

"The fact they'll be making money off something that is primarily used to steal things is what concerns me most. Sure, if someone pirates something the government or ISPs can find out if thy care enough, but up to now people who only get say, 1 CD a month have been almost entirely ignored. I feel that putting ads into the program that does it is a fast way to get EVERYONE a lot of unwanted attention." -The Goomba

Anyway, no. The reason this is such a mess is because there are many free options that aren't a clusterfuck of useless crap.

I only registered to say I already uninstalled and found another client. Deluge! <3

Also : https://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-becomes-ad-supported-to-rake-in-millions-120810/

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how one ad could mutilate a bittorrent client. µTorrent is an excellent application which comes for free, but you must understand that its development doesn't. You just have no authority to sit in judgment over that.

Hmm the users actually do have some say in what gets put into a program.

Guess you've completely missed out on all the users that provided feedback for things in the program to improve it.

And since the devs have said what they plan to do, the users can voice out their opinions and of course they can find alternatives if they don't like it, but of course the devs don't want to lose their userbase so they best listen and not continue with their plans for the ads within the program.

Just saying.

I mean obviously if a free program becomes the "best" and then they now know that, they would definitely want to capitalize on that in anyway. It's smart but at the same time, it's what's going to destroy them as numerous users have mentioned.

I know for me I don't use uTorrent primarily anymore. It's actually my 2nd, first being qbittorrent at the moment.

- - -

EDIT:

Of course users can just NOT upgrade to the version that will support their plans and just stick to current/future versions that don't have it. {UNless it becomes a forced install/upgrade}

Just here to say good bye as most of the people in this thread. You've went and turned a great open source client into a bloatware that you want to commercialize now even though you already offer a paid version with additional features.

For the meantime I downloaded and installed 2.2.1 version as suggested while I search for a different torrent client, I will suggest this to all of my friends and people I know.

As someone said "a (very) tiny BitTorrent client" is now a joke.

What I see happening, is instead of the usual 15-20 million annual income, you will get a quick influx of extra income, followed by a considerable drop in users, as people change to alternate ad-free torrent programs, and utorrent will become another one of those torrent programs that people avoid, and your greed causes you to lose money instead of make it, and loose community respect (which was the reason I used utorrent over others in the first place).

Already looking for an alternative now, or may go back to 2.2, although I'd rather not. qBittorrent already looks like a better option.

I think many of you may not realize how important your comments are and that, unlike some of what's being said, we do listen and respond. That we don't care about your opinions in particular is something I hope you can see is false - we announce these types of things to you all first, before we even launch the change, so we can listen and respond. One such example:

Since the launch of 3.0, we have heard the calls of "bloat" by many. Since 3.0, you may notice that no new big features have been added. This is, to a significant extent, in response to your comments. The current product plan is to fix bugs, focus on performance, and do small features you all request. So when we say "features we think you'll like" as some have quoted, we are talking about things like improved performance with many torrents, drag-and-drop onto labels, improved magnet link handling, improvements to "add torrent" dialog, and so on. And we are even re-analyzing our current 3.0 line feature set in context of your comments.

I want to say that with this new offer space, we are truly optimistic that the kind of things we put there or in the existing Plus ad space in the lower left will be tasteful, interesting, and okay for you. Thought has been put behind them. So for example, of course nothing changes with your privacy. These offers will not be distasteful. They will not pop up, make noise, and so on. We haven't even decided on all the defaults in terms of if they're dismissible or not.

Many of you have volunteered your time and opinions with us for many years. You've recommended us. You're a big part of our success. I understand you all are skeptical. I know many of you have seen good products go bad, because of bloat and "stupidity" and "greed." And that you've no reason to see this as any different. Nothing I say here will change that. But let's be honest about one thing: we are here, we are listening, and I hope you'll at least look at our actions and make decisions based on how things actually end up, rather than decide based on how you fear they will end up.

More later. Thanks for listening.

Lol, typical company reply.

We listen to you guys! No really! You are going to love the ads! No popups!

The one and only thing you guys can do to save utorrent at this moment is to back track as hard and quickly as possible though its probably too late. You have shown your hand.

The next major change you will see is a fresh approach to creating a no-nonsense and free torrenting experience. You are all very familiar with how we have paid the bills so far. These new changes mark our next step towards finding that difficult balance between keeping our lights on and providing a positive user experience. This new build will display a featured torrent at the top of your torrent list. This featured torrent space will be used to offer a variety of different types of content. We are working towards bringing you offers that are relevant to you. This means films, games, music, software...basically anything that you will find interesting. We may not get it right on the first try but we will continue to improve our efforts based on your feedback.

We are also leveraging these offers to directly benefit the artist community including filmmakers, recording artists, game developers and more.

I knew something worse was going to happen the very minute I saw new version with great free applications back then. I was right.

Congratulations. You are constantly working hard to kill the reason most people are using utorrent for. And you just succeeded. I am deeply disgusted.

You just lost a user. This is way more than I am willing to take.

I think its time for someone to re-write a lightweight torrent client to replace uTorrent. How scummy can you get? Selling ads over pirated content? What is this megaupload?

You guys are digging your own grave. Don't be cocky, giants fall hardest. Bittorrent will succeed with or without you guys. At this point, I'm looking forward to a new leader of the swarm.

I vow never to use uTorrent again, loudly and vocally, encouraging everyone I know to opt for a non-scumbag torrent client.

hmm ... I am a bit curious here -

How many of the people here stopped using Google (website|search) since they've started showing sponsored ads/links on top (plus clicked your IP away on *every* link you've found)?

Have any of you stopped using youtube since they are showing a sponsored clip on top when you search ?

And there are 1000s more examples of ad-ware the we all use.

^ I have not. The reason is - those tools/apps/sites give you something useful, and maybe a bit better than others do!

I guess we all use uTorrent since it was/is giving us something in a way that is better than the other clients do. Some like the small foot-print (<1M) , some like the RSS downloader with the "smart" episodes' filter, and some only like the skin(s) and look&feel (yeah, I still use the 2.x-like skin on 3.2.1 ... ).

So, if those links-"offers" are "bearable", and will "comply" with most of my "acceptance criteria" here http://is.gd/gSmwDE (mainly the first two), uTorrent pros might still out-weight this visual "ad-on" ... Who knows... it may also motivate uTorrent devs to improve the client even more over the competition, so to get even more people to use it (true, and make more profits...).

The point is - I'd try and keep an open mind about it, wait and see the implementation, and keep my judgment until then!

Way to turn your back on everything that made uTorrent so popular in the first place.

As if the bloatware Plus garbage wasn't bad enough, now you're going to make it Adware? Sleezy cash grab much? You'd be way better off accepting donations under a freeware business model and just keeping uTorrent minimal.

rafi: Youtube has always been bloated as hell, or at least all the time since I started going there, so no change for me. Google always acted in weird and annoying way as far as I can remember, so no change either (for some reason I can't remember seeing ads on Google though). Utorrent is whole another story though. They are constantly crippling it with crap and me myself, I've just had enough.

Personally I don't know if the devs are completely oblivious as to why people started using uTorrent since it's creation by ludde.

microTorrent - as in a small torrent application that does the job it was intended to. Since 3.0 and later version a lot of crap-ware has been added which I, as well as other friends or people I work it never use.

Now here is my point - since u have two separate applications Bittorrent and uTorrent- let Bittorent appeal to the masses with ad supported content and all that crap and leaving uTorrent as the small, compact and fast application that ludde built from the start.

As it stands, u keep copy/pasting each other(Bit and uT) and risk alienating both your casual and hardcore users (me included) who might switch to an entire client completely.

I'm not mad about u guys trying to make a living, I'm pissed at your poor marketing skills and at the fact that you took a really nice application and started turning into something unrecognizable. Offer us a simple, small and fast torrent client without search bar, apps or devices and we will keep using uTorrent.

Yours truly,

Cody

PS: One thing you could do instead is fix the slow I/O and constant Disk Overload issues. Until 3.0 and later I never had such horrendous performance issues on all computers I use the application on.

PS: One thing you could do instead is fix the slow I/O and constant Disk Overload issues. Until 3.0 and later I never had such horrendous performance issues on all computers I use the application on.

That will be fixed in next version! Be happy! You only have to put up with more bloatware crap in return, but hey, life isn't perfect either!

What a pity...

Oh well' date=' most of my private trackers don't allow anything above version 1.8.3 anyhow,

so there's nothing to be disappointed about (besides the security holes).[/quote']Fixed that for you.

Ah, the security holes!

(Never use ZoneAlarm. Never use Norton stuff)

Archived