A few notes on the upcoming changes to uTorrent

R3TR0

hmm ... I am a bit curious here -

How many of the people here stopped using Google (website|search) since they've started showing sponsored ads/links on top (plus clicked your IP away on *every* link you've found)?

Have any of you stopped using youtube since they are showing a sponsored clip on top when you search ?

And there are 1000s more examples of ad-ware the we all use.

I'm not sure what ads you speak of as I see none of them thanks to AdBlock.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing Google ads to what's taking place with uTorrent is dishonest at best. uTorrent was and strangely enough still is marketed as a lightweight torrent client, but the reality of the situation is that it is fast becoming anything but that, the bloat creeps in slowly but surely. Now you guys want to make it adware.

That's cool your software but i'm pretty sure that this decision is not going to go without consequences from the userbase. I was a bit suspicious when uTorrent got bought out awhile back, but now I can see my suspicions have been confirmed. I also agree that uTorrent 2.2.1 seemed to be the last great version.

Remember uTorrent got popular for a reason.

Comparing Google ads to what's taking place with uTorrent

Didn't I mention "Google clicks" as well ? Google gives you a service - a search engine - and make money out of your clicks. Is this so different from click-starting an *optional* offer-torrent or a similar link ? Using adblock vs using a firewall (for example) is that much different ?

Didn't I mention "Google clicks" as well ? Google gives you a service - a search engine - and make money out of your clicks. Is this so different from click-starting an *optional* offer-torrent or a similar link ? Using adblock vs using a firewall (for example) is that much different ?

You simply don't understand. I don't know for everyone else but I first started using and recommending uTorrent because it was indeed lightweight and somewhat solid. Now the bloat is starting to show up, and I'm reluctant to waste any more cycles (no matter how small) on my CPU for code that is dedicated to advertisements. The more code dedicated to bloat, the less the claims of "Super fast. Ultra light.

That means ultra-efficient downloads of mega-sized files." are

It is not a problem for me, I will simply switch torrent clients. I'm sure some other client will use this opportunity to put out a better more efficient product as well.

you can block google's click tracking with userscripts. i guess we'll start seeing utorrent cracks now.

I understand the Gung-ho mentality and the dedication to utorrent but one needs to take two steps back and look at the big picture here...

Bottom line is the users are coming out of the woodwork to voice their opinions and some will most definitely will be moving on if this comes to pass.

And you most definitely don't want negative publicity as it tends to snowball into a domino effect especially on the web.

Look into other avenues if you must add to your already millions/yr.

There are opportunistic devs out there just waiting for utorrent to stagger.

Too little, too late. This thing has exploded all over the internet and there isn't a single tracker public or private that aren't talking about on their forums. Nobody wants this, ANYWHERE. I've never seen anything quite like it to be honest. People running away before the tornado destroys the community. HAHA! Thanks for the warning utorrent. It's everywhere and spreading like wildfire. I've already switched to another client. Simply here to read this now. It's a train wreck and I can't turn away. :lol:

I personally have no problem ignoring some ads and who knows, maybe I'll like one of them :/

BUT

So for example, of course nothing changes with your privacy.

You seem to keep saying this without any further explanation. Do earlier versions of uTorrent look up my IP like this new version is going to to serve these ads?

If you can explain this in some detail I would have no problem continuing to support uTorrent.

Okay, let me try. If I understand your question correctly, the answer is simple. Whether the client is making a request for an offer (the upcoming functionality), or the client is checking for a new version update (which we've had since the beginning of the client), we simply don't keep a record of IP addresses/users/clients.

When we talk about making ads relevant to users, it is by pursuing things we think you as a user base will like. For example, news of a new torrent-based technology we're working on, a free game, or torrent-based online backup (as opposed to a dishwashing liquid, punch-the-monkey or other mainstream offers we will not be pursuing). For those of you familiar, think along the lines of Evernote client ads versus your typical Web site ads.

When we talk about using geo at a country level, it means that some offer types may play differently in Canada versus Korea versus the US versus Italy...

At the end of the day, nothing changes pertaining to privacy. It's a great idea to verify this for yourself, of course, by wiresharking communication regarding offers. No personally identifiable information is there.

its just me or the moderators only answers post than have "i will pay" in it?

Well, let's count. Up to your posting of this question, it's one post responding to your fellow forum contributor where he suggested the idea of paying for a 2.2-like client, and five that had nothing to do with it. So it's just you.

All this talk about version 2.2.1, got me to go back and give it try. I have been using the 3.* alphas/betas.

Holy Fuck! So much lighter then version 3. CPU's around 5%, was 15%. RAMs under 100MB, was up above 300.

What the fuck have you clowns done to uTorrent?! Get back to making it work well and fuck off with your bloat (and ads).

Does 2.2.1 have uTP?

I am in agreement as well that the 3x version have ALL had bloated CPU and RAM usage. I like some of the newer features (like uTP and I've gotten used to using the categories: DL, Seeding, Completed, Active, etc - they're very handy). I'll miss the added categories, but if 2.2.1 has uTP, I'm dropping back to it.

======

Nevermind. I looked it up - it does. Looks like I'm dropping back.

I absolutely loved uTorrent up to version 2.0.4. After that' date=' things started to go down hill.

The addition of apps/extension is a neat idea; however, I have absolutely no use or desire for them. For a web browser, they make sense. For an application designed to just run in the background, they don't offer any advantage. Thankfully, 2.2.x allowed you to hide the apps panel, which made this less of an issue.

Since then, what has been added? A featured content section with a giant arrow pointing at it, a transcoder, social functions (ratings and comments on torrents), and a few other things including ads in the setup wizard. Not to mention a "Plus" version, which just tacks on a bunch of other things I have no use for and frankly hate.

Now you are adding ads to the UI. I don't really see any appeal in the current or next version of uTorrent.

If you want to get money out of me, and restore faith in your product, release a "lite" version of uTorrent. Hell, I would gladly pay the "Pro" price for it. Strip out the apps, ads, social functions, all the "Plus" features, transcoder, setup wizards ads, and so one and you've sold me.

All I want from uTorrent is what is was originally designed to be, a minimalist and no-nonsense client. Just a basic downloader with no bloat.[/quote']

Very well said, SimpleToe. I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and your very concrete, alternative suggestions. I wonder how many would buy a "lite" version as you suggest with exactly the properties you list, with the only additions being the security, performance and "fundamentals" (bug fixes, better magnet link handling, etc) we've added over the years. I'm very interested to hear others' thoughts on this idea.

Still listening...

It is a shame that it took something like this to make the uTorrent team understand the primary reasons uTorrent succeeded while nearly all other Windows based clients died a slow death during the 2.x days. Why did uTorrent succeed? The obvious: Performance, simplicity, code quality (assumed), and footprint. I'm honestly shocked that it took this long to backfire... I registered three months ago just to ask about known vulnerabilities in 2.2.1. I was hopeful that someone clever enough was creating binary patches to fix known issues...

The answer to uTorrent's current problems is both obvious and depressing from a technical and financial perspective: Start over with the 2.2.1 code base. It is hard to admit that millions of dollars have been spent to break functionality, complicate usability, and add "features" that nobody wants or uses, but it is for the best. Fix any known issues, vulnerabilities, and slowly work quality features into the 2.2.1 codebase with feedback from the community. This should have been the pro version from day one. Charge for it and profit. Put the B-squad development team on the 3.x code base and feel free to continue adding more junk that nobody wants, ads included. This should be the free version. It hurts to know the source code to a brilliant piece of software could be lost forever. Take advantage of the investment you made!

The 2006 announcement: "Together, we are pleased to announce that BitTorrent, Inc. and uTorrent AB have decided to join forces. BitTorrent has acquired uTorrent as it recognized the merits of uTorrent’s exceptionally well-written codebase and robust user community. Bringing together uTorrent’s efficient implementation and compelling UI with BitTorrent’s expertise in networking protocols will significantly benefit the community with what we envision will be the best BitTorrent client... It supports our goal for improving the user experience. The developer of uTorrent put a significant amount of time and know-how into optimizing the client for user experience and we think he did a great job."

If you want to get money out of me, and restore faith in your product, release a "lite" version of uTorrent. Hell, I would gladly pay the "Pro" price for it. Strip out the apps, ads, social functions, all the "Plus" features, transcoder, setup wizards ads, and so one and you've sold me.

I too would actually pay for an updated ad free & light client like the old versions and almost everyone here I think would too. It's a pity you guys didn't consider this before the announcement, you probably lost a hundred or more users with that statement alone, now you have to try and win them back.

For me uTorrent is the only torrent client I like that actually looks any good, the rest are plenty functional sure but I can't stand their appearance. uTorrent 3.x looks like a proper Windows program and this one of the reasons why I keep using it.

Personally I see the best solution is having five clients. This fills everyone's niche AFAIK.

uTorrent - As it is (advert driven, see Rafi's guide)

uTorrent Pro - As it is with no ads with extra useful features over uTorrent (paid client) or perhaps just uTorrent without ads (Registered uTorrent)

uTorrent Pro/Lite - (SimpleToe edition) (paid client (perhaps a bit more expensive?))

Bittorrent - (advert driven)

Bittorrent Pro - no ads and extra useful features over Bittorrent or just registered to be ad free (paid client)

If ads could be removed via registering then that brings the clients down to three.. but I'm not sure that just removing ads is enough.. I guess it depends on how intrusive they are.

The trick really is to make the application valuable to people, have people appreciating it, spreading the word. The best way to do that? Listen & respond to your users.

If I really appreciate something I'll generally pay for it.

With regards to the different uTorrent versions I guess it depends on whether anyone using uTorrent is finding the current additions useful. The above scenario keeps things as they are (least fuss) for the people that happy with what they have.. I think it's in poor taste to remove features after adding them but perhaps the users can decide afterwards on what's worth removing if they deem it unnecessary.

So this is what you guys should do, charge me $10 for a lite version (I'll buy it) release updates for it as often as you can (I'll appreciate it) work hard on fixing bugs and adding a few nice features to new versions 3.4, 3.5 etc. Then get to work on releasing version 4 with some major additions.

Charge me ~$5 for an upgrade to version 4 since I paid for 3, but keep fixing up 3.. back port necessary fixes to keep people happy. Charge me $10 or whatever for version 5, if that's useful I'll buy that too. Your goal is to create the "best" torrent program in the market.

Version 3 at the end of the day needs to hold the same respect as 2.2.1. This is what you guys need to aim for right now. Get somebody in the forums AdamK perhaps? And get some much needed customer relations. Let US help to push ideas on what's needed and what's not (your forum is a goldmine thanks to certain individuals) ;)

I just want my 1MB client back (remove ratings, apps etc) but please before 4.0 add a search bar for searching inside torrents!! along with a better labelling system.

This really is the turning point for uTorrent. I'd really like for all you guys to comment on my post, thanks!

From the new response thread

We will be removing Apps in a near-future release because they've not been a success among our user base worldwide. Similarly, we will evaluate other existing features. We know that not every one of our features is a success, and our goal is to ship a slim base product with only those features users like and use.

Awesome news!

Beyond this, we hear the calls among many of you for a µ that is smaller and meaner than the current µ. Something like 1.6, 2.0 or similar. Over the past year, we’ve discussed various paths to getting there and are taking this request seriously.

So a lite version could be on the cards.. I hope so.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=123284 -->

2) On the new client offers

We hear all of your concerns and comments. And from the very first post, I said we would listen and adjust as needed.

Response: This being an experiment, we’ve previously discussed whether or not to provide an offer opt-out. Given your feedback, we’ve decided to go ahead with this in the upcoming version. Each of you will have the opportunity to see and experience offers for yourselves. If you don’t like what you see, simply opt out entirely.

I'd say this is a very reasonable compromise! :)

What do you think? A completely redundant question, Beasly...
These new changes mark our next step towards finding that difficult balance between keeping our lights on and providing a positive user experience.

Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious!

Haven't read all the posts and I can guess they are all the same NO ADVERTISEMENTS in utorrent.

We have old versions to use though I guess many are or will look elsewhere instead. Interesting time for torrent clients. Where even the mighty commit suicide and how often that is never done. Except in times of duress. uTorrent are you sure there isn't a dark mole in your camp over time persuading you to go this route.

As Victor Meldrew (rip) would say I Just Can't Believe It !

No problem not a biggie as such always old clients other clients, your choice :)

Archived