uTorrent Changes: A response to your feedback

bigfalls

ciaobaby are you that moron that came here (or the other thread) some weeks ago, babbling some crap about us stealing or some other nonsense? Why don't you go troll and flame elsewhere?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not say that YOU in particular are stealing, but that is the perception of peer to peer, which of course is born out by the facts that software companies, film companies, TV companies, records companies etc. etc are all trying, and succeeding in some cases to shut torrent sites down, and sue individuals for downloading copyrighted material. Dress it up how you like, or kid yourself as much as you want, but if the products, movies, audio files, etc. that are downloaded are not freely available from the ORIGINAL source, it is stealing, no matter how much you try to pretend otherwise.

Now if you feel that posting FACTS is "trolling" you have obviously led a very sheltered life, and may you should stay indors so your delicate nature is never offended by the truth!!!

And yes I am perfectly well aware that there are totally legitimate uses for Bittorrent however that is NOT the use that the vast majority of users put it to.

In which exact version - stable or beta - did they start serving ads?kevincop - or others - where are the opt out settings to get / not get ads, cause I'm using a 3.2 version but not seeing ads.Either the version I got had the options disabled or I did it in my sleep & don't remember how.I see some option in Prefs>Advanced, like "content_offer_autoexec" - set to false & some others, but haven't researched what they do.

3.2.1 (28086), which is now considered a release version, has it, and if there's a way to disable it (this thread is ambiguous), I don't know what it is, either.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the devs know that these antics are losing them a LOT of users.

Quite a bit of users don't know that it is possible to disable all these unwanted 'features' (using the term as broad as possible), and move towards alternatives.

It's sad that uTorrent is going the way of Vuze, PowerDVD, Winamp, and a LOT of others, since it used to be the single best torrent client before selling out. :(

"A person close to the company told TorrentFreak that even without the uTorrent ads the company is doing very well. Current annual revenue is estimated at somewhere between $15 and $20 million and the company is backed by millions in venture capital."

With “sponsored torrents” BitTorrent Inc could possibly bring in millions of added revenue and grow even further.

I think the annual figure is enough to keep ALL of Utorrent employees lights on and are able to feed their families and to maintain Development!

http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/141236-utorrent-becomes-ad-supported-to-rake-in-millions/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BitTorrent already features display advertising, but the program announced Tuesday would lead it additionally into content promotion, Lieb said. It's likely BitTorrent will charge artists and their marketers to feature their content in addition to sharing the resulting ad revenue, she said."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9229628/BitTorrent_looks_to_share_some_revenue_with_artists

Well, until BitTorrent publish accounts that show show similar numbers in revenue, it is simply an imaginary number that someone has plucked out of thin air to make a case for in-client advertising being just pure greed.

People make up all manner of "facts", especially when they feel they have a grievance, whether it is justified or not, against a particular company or individual.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used utorrent, gee it feels like forever.

I have always updated each time, even though I thought the apps idea was a loser.

Now I am sorry but the plus (antivirus/privacy) could be a good idea if it stayed within its framework; bittorrent, but by venturing outside of that niche you step on the toes of some Very Big shoes like the Nortons and MacAfees plus many respected alternatives. So that is also a NoGo.

But then recently when this "featured download banner" deal appeared, I figured you would give a opt out, but no, I could not find one.

So for the first time I have gone backwards to 3.0, with no banner and just a little bloat.

I know we all need to make money but, well just cause it is listed in the featured section, I would NOT download it, to many people trying to do harm with unknown programs these days.

I remain a happy but puzzled user:lol:

BubbaBobBobBob

All I want , just simple.

PLEASE FIX DISK_NO_ZERO Option!!!

it didnt work after 2.04 version.

if u fix it , then all users who use the newest version can't see DISK OVERLOAD MESSAGE!!!

It works. But only on XP. Or if you turn off UAC on vista/7. No way around it, since it requires the admin token.

It works. But only on XP. Or if you turn off UAC on vista/7. No way around it, since it requires the admin token.

it works fine on XP/Vista/7/8 , but only under 2.04 version .

Why newer version than 2.04 can't work this feature?

many people know this and advise if u want no more disk overload just use 2.04 version.

nowadays there are many torrents with big size files like over 30GB. And if i download that files without disk_no_zero , i would see terrible disk overload.

It works fine on newer versions. I use the feature without issues.

It does NOT work on Vista/7 without running uT as admin or disabling UAC. Windows restricts it to admin privilege. Not even on 2.0.4 will it work without running as admin.

I test several versions(2.2 , 2.21 , 3.0, 3.1, 3.21 all stable version) on win8 and all good work except 2.2x versions.

i've looked up my old post about that , found 2.2x and 3.0 alpha version had that issue.

Unfortunately i've not upgrade and tested new versions from that time.

anyway some people said about disk overload on new version , so i thougt that feature didnt be fixed yet.

im sorry for wrong feedback and good luck to DEV team.

Why would you think it's a good idea to release a new 3.4 Alpha when your 3.3 version still isn't close to Beta much less stable? Focus on the bugfixes for God's sake and clean that up *first*. The current bifurcation of partially working versions is crazy. Somewhere between 2.0.4 and 3.0 the vision for uTorrent seems to have gotten lost.

@bigfalls

A disappointment to you to make the people who used their software to gain on his back!

Why did not big news to people as "Add anomos in utorrent protocol" that in his beloved stock ideas?

You just said you would do thinking it was a transparent and more useful for the community!

You must realize that people want, they want fast and clean software evolved, making it the return of money always sucks! donations even if we could think of you donate!

I am sincere tixati use of time, but even using other software I'm worried about the situation in common p2p!

If large orders to carry out the community you came back to be large,......

...AND blah blah blah geabberish blah blah giberrisch blah blah blah..

...more gibberish....

:/ Dude, what are you using for translation? No offense, but I really can't understand... :(

Try to find someone/something that could actually help you translate properly, so you can make yourself clear.

Good luck with your english! Don't give up! Cheers! ;)

(\__/)

(='.'=) This is Cute Little Bunny. Copy and paste CuteLittleBunny into

(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

I just noticed that ads at the top, is nothing but crap and deceptive.

There is an X in a square and when you click on it NOTHING HAPPEN !

In the menu there is an option to "Hide featured content" It does nothing to that "Featured torrent"

I'll never click on those but I bet these 728kb bingo games are filled with spyware virus and whatnot,

There is a star rating at the top, I'm pretty sure these rating are FAKE

The 4 bars are for what ? Signal strength ? All you're doing is hiding ads as if they were part of the software.

and, HOLY fucking shit, I've clicked on that "Featured torrent" and IT'S NOT EVEN A TORRENT, it's a Freaking FACEBOOK GAME !!!

DECEPTION ALL THE WAY, Whoever though this was a good idea DESERVE TO GET PUNCHED IN THE FACE HARD.

These aren't ads,,, your whole software should now be categorized as A SCAM by anti-virus..

I just installed a clean copy of Windows 8 Pro and I did all the adjustments. Afterwards, I installed all the latest drivers I need, my games and last... a few programs I use. All went pretty fine, until... I installed μTorrent 3.2.2!

Horrible mistake the choice to use the latest version! When I opened the program, I saw a damn giant billboard! While I had an extremely clean and perfectly working machine, I truly felt Windows had been ruined already -by installing this adware... For Christ's sake, guys! My humble opinion, this went too far! I got headache. Especially by that "instant download" thing... Jesus. It became a cheap adware like Babylon... Disabling the "offers" or even the ratings mechanism in "advanced" section, do not work... that's not even remotely funny anymore.

Fortunately I always have the 2.2.1 DHT-patched version available. I must start experimenting with qBitorrent. 'There is no God' for uTorrent, unfortunately.

I just installed a clean copy of Windows 8 Pro and I did all the adjustments. Afterwards, I installed all the latest drivers I need, my games and last... a few programs I use. All went pretty fine, until... I installed μTorrent 3.2.2!

Horrible mistake the choice to use the latest version! When I opened the program, I saw a damn giant billboard! While I had an extremely clean and perfectly working machine, I truly felt Windows had been ruined already -by installing this adware... For Christ's sake, guys! My humble opinion, this went too far! I got headache. Especially by that "instant download" thing... Jesus. It became a cheap adware like Babylon...

Fortunately I always have the 2.2.1 DHT-patched version available. I must start experimenting with qBitorrent. 'There is no God' for uTorrent, unfortunately.

yes you are right qbittorrent so far good.but memory usage by qbittorrent as compare to utorrent 3.3 is high :)

Archived