uTorrent Changes: A response to your feedback

bigfalls

Two clients one free without bloat. The other not free and has all the bloat which makes you money. Build these two as this and each will have its usebase.

Though if you think the Plus version isn't doing well then release the Plus version free and charge for extra bloat plug-ins.

Above all there needs to be two versions and remain so to keep everyone happy. Trying to do it in one version, well as you can see upsets people. That they are or have moved away from utorrent already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTorrent/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTorrent/

Out of general discontent with bloatware, Serge Paquet suggested to Ludvig Strigeus that he should make a smaller and more efficient BitTorrent client.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTorrent/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTorrent/

On July 15, 2011, BitTorrent announced that they would offer a paid version of µTorrent called "µTorrent Plus". This new version would offer extra features, such as integrated file conversion, anti-virus and a built in media player.[19] On 6 October 2011, the Pre-alpha of µTorrent Plus was released to an invite only community.[20] As of December 2011, µTorrentPlus 3.1 Stable is now available for purchase and download.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, dropped back to 2.2.1 for a test, WOW, what a diff on CPU usage! <~3% on 2.2.1, but 15-30% on 3.3 Alpha :(

Anyone know how to add the SEEDING category and combine the STATUS/DONE columns in 2.2.1? At this point, those are really the only benefits I see from 3x. Also seeing more connections in general.

=====

I should add that another nice option in 3.3 is the handling of magnetic links.

I guess we can all just HOPE that at least one of the options for the next version includes the best aspects of both these clients.

What is wrong with you all????

You are using a FREE product to effectively steal revenue from:

Musicians, whom I DO care about and do go on and BUY music that I have downloaded and decided that I liked enough to support those artists with my money.

Actors, who are mostly overated and probably not worth the exorbitent fees they are paid anyway.

Software houses, and as a programmer myself I am more than aware of how much development actually costs.

Games software producers, who ALREADY pay their developers a fraction of what their work is often worth.

And here you are complaining FAR MORE than the average M$ Windows user about a few bugs in what is a complex piece of software! At least unlike Microsoft, uTorrent don't make you pay for all the software that you are testing and debugging!!!!!

For the Linux users among you, are you aware that if you are a Fedora or Centos user, you are actually "debugging" and testing Redhat's paid version of RHE (Red Hat Enterprise), Fedora being the Beta versions and Centos the RC (Release Candidate) version. Are you as voracious in your complaints regarding "free" software there?

Report "bugs" and problems by all means, but instead of making such a big deal about it, just remember NOBODY forces you to use uTorrent, it is YOUR choice!

Musicians, whom I DO care about and do go on and BUY music that I have downloaded and decided that I liked enough to support those artists with my money.

Actors, who are mostly overated and probably not worth the exorbitent fees they are paid anyway.

Software houses, and as a programmer myself I am more than aware of how much development actually costs.

Games software producers, who ALREADY pay their developers a fraction of what their work is often worth.

And here you are complaining FAR MORE than the average M$ Windows user about a few bugs in what is a complex piece of software! At least unlike Microsoft, uTorrent don't make you pay for all the software that you are testing and debugging!!!!!

Your stupidity encourages uTorrent to continue doing what it does. The public perception of torrents as a means of illegal content delivery (and ONLY illegal content delivery) is precisely why torrent clients keep trying to move towards an image of "mainstream" software: full of excessive features for the plebs. Nobody has demonstrated any demand for any of them which is why we're complaining.

And by the way, most of us already know there are alternatives. The people here are complaining because they want the older, more popular - and better - client back. In other words, because they care. Make of it what you will, but you're obviously too busy bitching about the userbase to care about what you use anyway.

uT is not bloated.. I'm able to keep the same clean and straightforward UI from the older releases.

I just had to disable the unwanted crap: Browser toolbar, Ratings, Comments, Apps, Featured content, Sidebar, No-torrents start screen, etc.

33012276.png

uT is not bloated.. I'm able to keep the same clean and straightforward UI from the older releases.

I just had to disable the unwanted crap: Browser toolbar, Ratings, Comments, Apps, Featured content, Sidebar, No-torrents start screen, etc.

Sure, but when we're basically at the point of having to write a guide to explain how to disable everything you have to admit that things are bad.

thank god.

anything that is like the clients from 1.6 to 2.0.4 is great. I actually liked some of the features in newer ones past the 1.6 and 1.7 builds up through 2.0.4, but those builds def ran the best, least buggy! after 1.7s it was always buggy unreliable crap. After 2.0.4, it was so buggy I reverted -- too many things were broken in "stable" builds. what a pile of shit the new builds have become, to say nothing of the ads and the apps.

i currently use 2.0.4 on most of my PCs, but still run 1.6 and 1.7 on a few laptops, I just can't use that with all sites due to blacklists, but those builds are rock solid!

i currently use 2.0.4 on most of my PCs, but still run 1.6 and 1.7 on a few laptops, I just can't use that with all sites due to blacklists,

There were good reasons 2.0x was replaced with 2.2.1+ - called bugs, like overloading your router/Internet/ISP with small packets and more... You better think again...

As discussed above Utorrent is so popular because it was "a (very) tiny BitTorrent client".

Adding all these bells and whistles are maybe intriguing for the novice users but for the experienced users it's a big slap in the face!

Adding this new "ad content" feature is just crossing the line with lots by the comments I've read.

Backtrack and upgrade/secure the 2.2.1 version and leave all the stuff out that was added in the 3 build. Simple, lightweight and great performance!

You have to ask yourself....

What made utorrent so popular in the first place.....That's where the listening part comes from!

Many users are still using 2.2.1 even though you claim it's not secure because it works flawlessly. That should tell you something right there!

The longer this lingers the Exodus will continue.

μTorrent is famous because it is (was?) clean and simple and for its <1MB legendary size :cool: .

Dear developers:

Please stop transforming our favorite torrent client into a Vuze-like crap.

μTorrent is what it is due to its simplicity , size , features offered , stability. Don't f@@k up my favorite torrent application.

When I go to install a program and they try and slip some bullshit by like changing my homepage if I dont uncheck a box I stop the install and delete the setup. I am going to opt of of ads in my torrent client by not using utorrent. Thanks for trying to appease us though!

Unsolicited selling is not the place to be in 2012. You guys are spammers now in my book. Fucking ads.

Here, opt of out this greedy utorrent devs:

FUCK YOU!

meh, if you aren't smart enough to not get crapware installed then i don't mind you paying for my awesome client.

This is Azureus all over again. Shame on you.

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

azureus was never good to begin with.

A poll would be good but problem how many utorrent users actually come here now or need to !

SO it seems there are many people maybe greater proportion of utorrent users using 1.7.x or 2.0.x builds and have done for many months if not years. Because if the many bugs or more so the bloat, even though it is said 2.2.1 is a better choice for bugs it hasn't got. But the reason people don't use this must be because it has bloat or other problems also, else they would be using it.

So how can utorrent win favour again with the majority of the users to use new builds. They tried a Plus version now I assume is BitTorrent. So better ten to have a new home page stating to versions one lightweight and free, the other a loaded client full of features (full of bloat). Where blot version directs to utorrent bloat version or BitTorrent that home page is the same style as utorrent (familiarity is good).

Then make again a lightweight version that everyone will update to, as lightweight without the bloat. Though would need to look at the 2.0.x version to figure out why they are so popular. Such as maybe web url and rss and the rest is the difference and not needed after all. But am sure there is a whole big list for this one.

By doing this would you not only have everyone using up to date client again. Don't forget the free version is lightweight and bloat free. The crap goes in and belongs to the Plus version. With that in mind you can't go wrong. Until then it already has gone wrong, people no longer for years use newer clients than 1.7.x and 2.0.x go figure. No matter how you try to spin this fact remains to be a fact only utorrent devs can fix it.

utorrent has ads now?

Have you read the thread at all?

Each of you will have the opportunity to see and experience offers for yourselves. If you don’t like what you see, simply opt out entirely.

Having said that, we stand behind offers as a reasonable trade-off to providing our users with valuable, free software, and we will continue to pursue them. Our goal is, frankly, to provide a better experience than we do with our current offer mix. Of course this is not an overnight change.

Your stupidity encourages uTorrent to continue doing what it does. The public perception of torrents as a means of illegal content delivery (and ONLY illegal content delivery)

I am well aware of that so it is not my stupidity but the general perception that surrounds torrents. One of my more common rants is that film companies, record companies and the like should realise that the genie is "out of the bottle" (and has been for several years) and should begin to work with torrent users and download sites, ISPs etc. rather than wasting their efforts to close the whole thing down. There are many musicians and producers who have caught on to the "digital revolution" and use it to their advantage why shouldn't they do the same.
is precisely why torrent clients keep trying to move towards an image of "mainstream" software: full of excessive features for the plebs. Nobody has demonstrated any demand for any of them which is why we're complaining
So it is a "luddite" style of complaining then and the progress towards public acceptance that you don't like and given your reference to what you consider my mental state, of which you have no knowledge and threfore are not qualified to judge, and the reference to other and future users as "plebs" seems to me to be somewhat arrogant and elitist. Are you still running a computer with DOS 6.2, and Windows 3.1 because you obviously don't want or need the extra features that Microsoft have built into newer versions Windows?

And by the way, most of us already know there are alternatives. The people here are complaining because they want the older, more popular - and better - client back. In other words, because they care. Make of it what you will, but you're obviously too busy bitching about the userbase to care about what you use anyway.

"Better" is a subjective term would you care to quantify or qualify what you consider as "better"? If you really want run an older version, feel free to download one, You can turn off updates, so your computer is never sullied by a later version, then you can stop complaining about progress and start whinging about the bugs that never get fixed

Your stupidity encourages uTorrent to continue doing what it does. The public perception of torrents as a means of illegal content delivery (and ONLY illegal content delivery) is precisely why torrent clients keep trying to move towards an image of "mainstream" software: full of excessive features for the plebs. Nobody has demonstrated any demand for any of them which is why we're complaining.

I happen to know plenty of musicians who happen to to be pretty big and they SHARE stuff all the time..Honestly are you a Programmer if you are its not like you get royalty's you probably collaborate with a 100 other people and cut one check . Then the company you work makes millions while you work your ass off.. I think its the C.E.O 's your problem is with ... Where not taking out out of your pocket ..GET OVER IT

It's good to hear that you're taking the user's complaints seriously and that you are looking to develop (and reduce) µTorrent into a reasonable direction. It's going to pay off. Even with the extra love handles, it's still the leanest client around. But if you look at the main window and the option screens, there's all kinds of junk that pulls away from the 'do one thing well' philosophy. Streaming, Apps, Playback, Ratings, all the pointless columns for video resolution and codec and whatever. Let a good media player do what it does and let trackers rate and organize their torrents separately. µTorrent shouldn't need any built-in codecs with which to probe files, just leave the files alone and let them be opened externally. Give us the basics.

Archived