uTorrent Changes: A response to your feedback

bigfalls

Hello all,

I guess I'm #51, since I just registered on this Forum, just minutes ago.

Well, I can honestly say, I'm here because I was just notified of the latest update to µTorrent (Ver. 3.2.2) and upgraded. The 1st thing I noticed, bothered me.

At the very top is an ad for "Privacy Safeguard". Am I now going to start getting ads about questionable software designed to imply a benefit to me while actually financially benefiting someone else? I think of these apps as "scam-ware".

For more information regarding "Privacy Safeguard", read this review:

http://www.mavenwebsites.com/privacy-safeguard-google-chrome-extension/

I think with the above information, I think most will be even more disappointed in the ad (or ads) that you seem to endorse.

If you wish to ask for donations, then ask for them. If you wish to charge for the software, then charge for it. If you think that innocently advertising "scam-ware", in hopes we will assume a benefit to protect our privacy while some how you benefit from it, I think you should reconsider as it has the appearance of being sneaky and dishonest as I am sure you did not just blindly add the ad just because some company paid you to include it.

Is there a way to revert back to a previous version?

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I thought they've referred to the in-client offers, not install. I fail to see the relevance, and how it is "beside the point" as long as you can decline it. Ask/Conduit toolbars were no better, and as long as the user can reject/accept it - he should be fine.

Holy shit I almost upgraded from 3.2 (I'm wondering why my current 27886 build is not to be found in announcements anymore). Thanks for the last few comments. First bloatware, now malware? Fuck you Bittorrent, fuck you very much.

Ah, I thought they've referred to the in-client offers, not install. I fail to see the relevance, and how it is "beside the point" as long as you can decline it. Ask/Conduit toolbars were no better, and as long as the user can reject/accept it - he should be fine.

utorrent installer has been engineered to trick users into installing malware onto their pcs. now they also advertise malware in-client. the bottom line here is that the company does not care about the privacy and security of their users, and that destroys any trust or respect one may have had for that company. the correct course of action when you are offered to compromise your users' security and privacy is to refuse, not to add an opt-out. endorsing malware is a slippery slope.

and why would you cloud backup data that isn't sensitive?

You do what you think is best for you... For my photos (for example) or some settings/fav related files I find it useful, at least till you provide a *relevant* link that proves that Life Boat is a scam...

btw, you can say the same about Google Drive/GMail "clouds" (which I also use...) , unless you are naive enough to thing that Google does not look in any of their user-accounts to collect data on user profiles/behavior/clicks patterns .

I'm not going to be mean or igonrant..but I am going to say it as it needs to be said. If I wanted someone's malware I would download it myself. Even past versions wanted to install toolbars that tracked what I do (yes, I use packet sniffers) and now you want to 'feature' malware? I upgraded minutes ago and I promptly removed your software. I can care less if what I put in functions or downloads slower, there's no malware. If your object in this was to run off long time users then congratulations are in order. If not - come to your senses and do it quickly. Until I see no malware advertisements and no ads (which also track) then your software is on my permanent no use list. And feel free to delete this account as well since after this I have no reason to come back. Word is spreading on the net FAST so I won't be the last one to come here and voice my dissatisfaction. Whoever decided this was a good move needs to be sent packing...otherwise it will be the users who pack and leave. Your choice.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hi, newly registered here.

This will be my first and last post.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, therefore I shall post this pic here and let you make up your own mind.

CMmrR.png

Feb 2009: 264Kb

Dec 2012: 946Kb

258% increase in the file size of the installer.

In just a few years.

For...

a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

Wow. :| :rolleyes:

Goodbye and good luck! ;) :cool:

Hi, newly registered here.

This will be my first and last post.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, therefore I shall post this pic here and let you make up your own mind.

http://i.imgur.com/CMmrR.png

Feb 2009: 264Kb

Dec 2012: 946Kb

258% increase in the file size of the installer.

In just a few years.

For...

a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

Wow. :| :rolleyes:

Goodbye and good luck! ;) :cool:

While I am on more or less the same boat as others, your post is so retarded I have hard time finding words to comment on the idiocy you posted.

Running 3.2.2 on an Atom with 1GB of RAM, I tend to only have around 3 or 4 torrents actively sending at any one time and upload is capped fairly slow but I do have a few hundred active for seeding and my CPU is hovering between 1% and 5% use (+ 5% when GUI is open) and is using 38MB of RAM right now. Everything is acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

I've already switched to a new client. Registered here to add to the list of users that are walking away.

your "tiny" bittorrent client is bloated, has ads, and pop-ups and toolbars. These are all the things we hate from a program so expect lots more hate to come.

I really didn't want it to end this way, but too bad. I really

R.I.P. utorrent

• 2 weeks later...
BitTorrent is not just a file-sharing protocol; it’s also a company that’s been trying to take huge steps in order to help independent artists through various projects. In an interview with Mark Glaser of the PBS, Matt Mason (Executive Director of Market at BitTorrent Inc.) explained the company’s plans to become a legitimate business.

More Here!

http://www.torrent-invites.com/bittorrent-discussion/226476-bittorrent-s-matt-mason-talks-about-company-s-plans-coexist-entert.html

It's good to hear it straight from one of the head honchos (Executive Director of Marketing)!

The above article is just an extension from this thread... http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=123040

Although supporting artists may be a good thing in the long run and maybe a way of getting on their good side but it's just a tip of the iceberg when using p2p...

The Movie and TV industries are another story and highly frown on this way of downloading material and WE the users are always risking fines, lawsuits, isp slowdowns, etc....

Archived