Downloads dont start automatically

Midas89

I just re-install utorrent and I noticed that everytime a new torrent is added it doesnt start automatically so I have have to initiate it manually...

I checked all the settings and:

- "Don't start a download automatically" es uncheck

and, in "Queueing" all the maximum number of active torrent is set to a big number (bigger than the actual number of torrents)

I also saw that a similar thing happen when a download is complete. In that case I have to manuall set the option to start seeding...

I dont know what I could be missing... So any help will be really appreciated....

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance!!

Are you using magnets?

What specific version of uTorrent are you using

and, in "Queueing" all the maximum number of active torrent is set to a big number (bigger than the actual number of torrents)

Bad idea. This causes problems by splitting your connection too many ways.

I also saw that a similar thing happen when a download is complete. In that case I have to manuall set the option to start seeding...
If it's coming up as queued for that, you DO NOT need to manually set seeding.

Treating Bittorrent like it were kazaa (having as many downloads going at once as possible) is counterproductive. BitTorrent performs better when fewer are running at once since you'll be wasting less bandwidth on protocol overhead.

Are you using magnets?

What specific version of uTorrent are you using

Bad idea. This causes problems by splitting your connection too many ways.

I know but maybe this was the reason of the unexpected behavior...

If it's coming up as queued for that, you DO NOT need to manually set seeding.

Treating Bittorrent like it were kazaa (having as many downloads going at once as possible) is counterproductive. BitTorrent performs better when fewer are running at once since you'll be wasting less bandwidth on protocol overhead.

Version: 3.2 (build 27708) [32-bit]

I'm not familiar with the term "magnet". I just download the .torrent and the file appeart on utorrent, so i believe I'm not using magnet....

What intrigues most is that I'm using utorrent as always with nothing different but a new pc... In the other I didnt have this issue...

I just test this thing with a new download and It worked... It's odd because in my old windows xp the .torrent was downloaded and then I had to open it in order to start the operation. Now it seems there's no .torrent cause as soon as I click to download the file the utorrent pops up to initiate all..

Agggg, maybe its ok, idk

Thank you DreadWingKnight!!!

Then you are getting via magnets. 3.2.1 and 3.3 have a fix for this behavior.

It's exclusive to magnets.

DWK, I've registered here to try to solve this problem. I'm very frustrated. I've checked all of the threads pertaining to this issue. There is plenty of discussion on it but if there is "a fix", one that most have agreed upon, I've missed it. I've searched this site. I've googled. I was originally advised to go back to an earlier version of Utorrent with no mention that it was specific to magnet links. That appeared to fix the issue until I tried downloading magnet links. I had not noticed that distinction to the problem of non-starting torrents before this. So I found my way to this forum by googling that specific issue.... magnet links not starting in utorrent.

I understand completely your frustration with people not searching or doing the minimum homework. Please try to understand how difficult it is for a rank beginner to attempt dozens of steep learning curves each time a minor issue presents itself. That's an entirely admirable task. But many of us have interests that include many many dozens of things in addition to the deeper workings of utorrent. To try to learn them all at such depth would be impossible. That's precisely why many of us come to forums.... to beg kind attention from others far more knowledgeable. Eventually each of us may find themselves in a position to pass some assistance on in one form of expertise or another. But none of us are so expert at all things that we can afford to snub the earnest inquiries of others for being "too lazy to find out for themselves".

In short.... will you kindly point more specifically to the "fix for this behavior" that you mention?

Thank you sincerely for the help you provide here.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=121568

-- 2012-06-26: Version 3.2.1 Beta 1 (build 27554)

- Fix: Magnets would be added in stopped state

Which, as far as I've been made aware, has been ported forward to 3.3

If it's not that, then it's:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=118544

-- 2012-05-18: Version 3.3 alpha (build 27251)

- Fix: force-started magnet links would be stopped after metadata was received

Which may not have yet been back ported.

"force-started magnet links would be stopped after metadata was received"

Thank you. The above seems to describe my issue precisely if "force started" is the same is "automatically started".

In other words, the torrents are stopping about 15 seconds after I load them.

Step one....

I select a torrent and this window appears....

CaptureItPlus634810878528437500.png

I click "OK" and then this window appears....

CaptureItPlus634810881359687500.png

I click "OK" and the torrent appears in the utorrent GUI and automatically begins downloading. I have my queue set to three max. The torrent/s will begin downloading and stop after about 15 seconds. I have to manually "START" them once again. And since it's been brought to my attention it does only happen with magnet links.

Since there was never any use of the "force start" feature in my case, does the fix still apply? Is there possibly something else going on with my installation? I've been using utorrent for about five years and this only started being a problem the last couple of times I've upgraded (perhaps in the last three months).

-- 2012-06-26: Version 3.2.1 Beta 1 (build 27554)

- Fix: Magnets would be added in stopped state

The most recent upgrade that I installed, and still had the problems described above, was the following....

µTorrent Stable (3.2 build 27708)

Assuming that the build numbers ascend in series, I'm guessing that fix did not address my problem.

I'm hesitant to upgrade to the beta build since threads here report too many addit problems. Or are they overstated?

Ok, I installed µTorrent alpha (3.3 build 27745). Nothing ventured......

I tried a magnet link and the new install behaved itself quite nicely with no hiccups per above.

If I have any glitches worth mentioning I'll try to explain them in the appropriate thread on 3.3 build 27745.

Thanks so much for the direction here. If you wish to delete my post above this feel free. Or leave it for anyone else who needs the direction.

Thanks again for the forum.

Archived