uTorrent constantly freezing

poehitman

This just started about a month ago. I can only get an hour or two of use out of it before the program freezes up and I have to restart the program. And everytime I have to restart it, I have to go through the hash checks again for large torrents (most between 7 and 30 GB), so it takes FOREVER. Can someone give me a hand. Or at least make it to where I don't have to do hash checks EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME it freezes? Let me know what info you need and I'll provide it. Here's some basic info:

uTorrent version: 3.1.3

Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad Core 64-bit CPU

Memory: 6 GB of DDR2 Dual Channel RAM

Hard drives: 8 total (4 internal / 4 external)

The first thing I would do is upgrade from the 3.1.3 version, it's as buggy as hell. The stable 3.2 version has also been reported as having a bug where the magnet link downloads don't start automatically. I would therefore update to the latest 3.2.1 beta version where this has been fixed in, the bonus is that with versions from 3.2 onwards you have an option in Advanced mode to be able to view files before they are loaded into the program, this means you can deselect any you don't require.

If you are using 3.1.3 version you are not up to date, the latest stable version a 3.2. If you want the beta versions there are some boxes that can be ticked in Preferences, General, Privacy. Tick the correct boxes, exit utorrent, open utorrent again and hopefully a box will come up asking if you want to update.

Just watch out for the bug in the 3.2 that some are getting where it doesn't start the download automatically, if you get it then go for the 3.2.1 beta. If you want the 3.2.1 beta then there are some boxes that can be ticked in the Preferences, General, Privacy part of utorrent, but be aware you would have to exit utorrent after doing this and then open it again, this will mean that utorrent again starts checking all your torrents that are loaded.

Looks like I was wrong. It's begun freezing again. Twice in the last 12 hours. Windows has said that one of my 7 storage hard drives is failing, but that drive doesn't hold any of my torrents or downloaded files, so uTorrent shouldn't be accessing it. And it's only uTorrent that's freezing, all my other programs work just fine. Even when I access some video files directly off the failing hard drive, nothing freezes. The reason I ask about stopping the hash checking is because it seems to happen while files are being hash checked.

Archived