flushing to disk

nonna2taz

If the 3.2.1 version doesn't work, then there is also a 3.3 version, would leave that to the last though and maybe read a few comments on it. It is a version that appears to be quite stable, but it is having a lot of major things done to it, I think it's called 3.3 Alpha, or something like that. Anyways, some users seem to think it's o.k.

Also, unsure if flushing to disc will stop on torrent already loaded, so try a new one and see if it still happens. As far as I'm aware, the flushing to disc problem was sorted before the 3.2 stable version was released. I have been going through the forums on the old 3.1 version of utorrent that had this problem, they kept doing various 3.2 beta versions, around 28 in all and there was mention of it in the earlier versions, but no mention of it in the later versions, therefore assume it was all fixed.

Thanks, I have download 3.2.1 and its started working again, but it is sooooooooooo slow and won't know if it still goes the Flushing to disk until it has downloaded. Its only ds games I'm downloading, not a film or anything large, so not sure how long its going to take to download a film as I say its only downloading at 1 or 2kbs, I have always used Utorrent but it is just getting silly, once again thanks for ur advise :)

I am running v. 3.2.2.18 Beta 32 bit. Since installing this version I have noticed a problem with 'Disk Overloading' and d/ls flushing to disk. I tried increasing disk cache and working with the other disk write options with no success. It's ended up being a hap hazard approach Once a halfway decent size file starts flushing the pieces to the disk it takes forever and will occasionally lock up the program. then if I reopen utorrent the checking of d/ls will occur and the d/l, which was completed, will restart at ~85% (maybe where it locked up during disk flushing?)

I've also noticed that the newer versions of utorrent take up more system resources and cpu utilization then previous versions. This is probably a result of the large increases in memory for the disk caching.

If there is a simple explanation of why this occurring and what setting would improve the situation I would appreciate it.

Note: utorrent shut down while I was writing this after finishing a download for the second time. Once shutting down and reopening it takes sometime to recheck unfinished torrents.

Thanks!

Danmc, unsure what version of uTorrent you are using, there isn't a 3.2.2 beta, there are 2 versions of the 3.2.1 beta. If you are using the latest one, then try starting a new torrent and see what happens. As mentioned above, I believe if you have updated from an older version of utorrent that had flushing to disc issues, then I don't believe it will solve the problem for any torrents that are already loaded in the program before the update. There doesn't appear to be anything in the 3.2.1 beta posts that mention any disc flushing issues. So update to the 3.2.1 beta and if the problems still persist, then go into the 3.2.1 beta section and post what is happening there as those with far greater knowledge than me will be able to tell you what the problem is.

Hi, Mac,

Thanks, sorry - I'm using 3.2.1 Build 27718 Beta. I updated from whatever the earlier Beta builds were. I have never noticed this problem with previous builds. I did find posts related to the problem in earlier forum posts and tried some of the suggestions without any success.

Currently I have one 1.38 gig d/l that has been flushing for the past (2) hours.I kept increasing the disk cache to 750 mgs to try to keep up with the 'disk overload' messages.Each time I did me d/l speeds increased appreciably. Except for the cache size I have all other 'Disk Cache' settings reset to default. Another thing that i've noticed is that althought the torrent files were 100% finished it appears as if the torent files are still d/ling.

I do believe that you are right that for the moment, Im going to have to just be patient, at least until the current d/l is finished flushing. If I interrupt the flush operation in any way it just takes more time to recheck the torrent and re-d/l pieces. After it's done I might then try to reinstall an earlier version - say 2.2.1 - and see what happens. I love the program and have used it - for legitimate purposes of course - for quite while without probs.Thanks very much for your response.

p.s Here's a link to a screen shot of the utorrent app window with Disk Cache settings - .https://picasaweb.google.com/103936664913227727104/ScrapbookPhotos#5783322163768132962

Sorry for the screen shot quality.

After waiting 6 hrs for that 1.38gig file to finish flushing from cache in v.3.2.1 Build 27718 Beta. I decided to stop the program and install v.2.2.1 without having to override the default Disk Cache settings. The 1.38gig torrent that had supposedly finished d/ling but wouldn't flush from cache in v.3.2.1 was checked quickly and began once again to d/l at about 75% complete. Another torrent , which had been sitting waiting to be checked and start was also checked quickly and began to d/l from the beginning. I received no further 'disk overload' messages. When the files were finished d/ling they immediately showed up as completed without going through any cache flush issues.

What you might have been able to see in that poor screenshot is under the Speed tab window ,where the Disk statistics are graphed, in v.3.2.1 there was virtually no activity on the Read cache progress bar and that the Disk Write progress was at a crawl. The disk cache in v.3.2.1 had been set at 750megs.

Ultimately all I am sure of is that reverting to the earlier v.2.2.1 took care of not only the disk overload messages and the disk flushing issues.

Thanks again for the responses.

Best Regards.

I've noticed 3 things different in your settings than mine. My top box is unticked with the box to the right having 32 in it, yours seems extremely high. My bottom box is also unticked. There are various reasons why they changed from the 2.2 series of utorrent and you can find these reasons in the forums. I would seriously have another go with the latest 3.2.1 beta version, starting from scratch, with no torrents loaded and then loading one. I don't mess with disc cache section, so assume mine is the default setting, so adjust your settings to mine and see what happens. If your settings on the beta version are like they are now, then you will need to change your end number to 32, then untick the box. Then untick the box at the bottom. I don't download a great deal, but what I do download usually goes at a decent speed and I don't get any issues.

Archived