two laptops - same torrent - different speeds

tuart

I just recently purchased an HP dv7 (running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) that has a Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n 1x1 card in it. My speeds from speedtest.net are slightly lower than on my older HP laptop (4mb/s download on old laptop versus 3/mb download on new laptop) but it is not noticeable when browsing the web or streaming content. When download torrents, however, my speed seems to be capped @ 20-40kb/s. My old laptop, however, generally averages between .5mb-1mb/s depending on the number of seeders. I have tried to mimic all the uTorrent settings (same port#, connection limitations, etc.) but I still can't seem to get any better speeds. I loaded the same torrent on both computers (not at the same time, obviously) and tried downloading on each. The old laptop was able to reach speeds of up to 1mb/s while the old was only able to get 35kb/s. I am on a university network so I cannot set-up portforwarding - but my old computer isn't set up for it either and everything works swimingly.

I have tried searching here and elsewhere for answers but I haven't been able to find anything helpful.

As FYIs - all drivers are up-to-date, and the old laptop is running Windows Vista 64-bit. The computers are the same distance from the router, and I have added all the necessary firewall exceptions (as far as I can tell).

I have Windows Firewall enabled and Microsoft Security Essentials installed.

I have tried downloading with the firewall disabled and it made no difference.

I have tried changing the port used on my old laptop and using that port on my new laptop and that made no difference.

Archived