Already downloaded torrents won't check and seed

tomm123

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some help with regards to seeding torrents which I have already downloaded. For some reason, whenever I go to add a "new" torrent which is already downloaded and point it to the folder where the files (just the files and nothing else) are located, uTorrent won't "check" the files and thus start the torrent. It simply tries to start downloading it again. I've tried all sorts to get this sorted but nothing's helping, including uninstalling uTorrent and installing again.

Please help!

Thanks for the reply. Nope, nothing has changed at all apart from, in some cases, the download location. But even in cases where the files have remained in exactly the same place where they were downloaded, when I try to seed it by opening a "new" torrent file in uTorrent, it doesn't like it!

• 2 weeks later...

This would appear to be something on your machine rather than a uTorrent specific problem, otherwise there would most likely be a flood of complaints about it.

I would look at any anti-virus or anti-spyware software or something that may be doing "file integrity" scans and exclude your download folders/drives from the process.

Ok, as a programmer and therefore being anally retentive over what appears to be a possible bug, I've just tested this with two completed downloads,

Sequence:

Stopped both

Moved both from download location, (internal SATA drive) discarding label prefix directory onto new location (external USB) using Windows Explorer.

Made copies of both.

Reset download location in UI

Force re-check

One triggers an alert of "File ... already exists. Overwrite? Response: Yes

Check Ok to 100% completed. (.m4v & .txt files)

The other triggered no overwrite alert and re-checked to 0% completed. Files are intact and do work Ok (.mkv, .smil, .srt & .txt). I am assuming that had I restarted the torrent, the files would have been overwritten and set with .!ut (will test that hypothesis)

Client Version 3.21.27972 32bit Windows 7 Ultimate - Retail (genuine) no cracks, no mods, (6.1.7601 SP1).

I'll test more to see if I can recreate the exact condition if/as time permits.

Hello,

Fist of all sorry for my weak english.

I've got the same problem since I've updated to 3.20 version build 27886.

I organize downloaded torrents in folders with this method.

· Delete from utorrent downloaded torrent.

· move torrent and its corresponding files into target folder.

· add moved torrent in utorrent with new path omitting the checking test.

With mentioned version is impossible to do it.

Definitely a issue if the Torrent has been renamed in the GUI or the add torrent dialogue, ran more tests with renamed downloads and as originally downloaded

In all cases the renamed torrent fails to recheck as complete or even partial, even when the directory name matches the torrent load name, Renaming the .torrent file before loading also fails to recheck as complete.

This is definitely a change from pre 3.2.x versions as I have never encountered this on reloading completed torrent regardless of changes in location or the torrent name.

Hello,

I am a newb also, and i am having the same issue. I can't seem to reseed the files i already downloaded even though i have done it successfully in the past. I clicked on "Add Torrent" - browsed to the torrent folder, choose a torrent (did not change the name). Another box pops up with two text box: "Save in" and "Name". The "Save in" text box - i browse to the folder that contain the files (i don't see a list of files even though there are there), I then clicked "OK". I right click to do a "Forced re-check" but it doesn't do anything. This is the way i have done it in the past and have always worked.

I downloaded the new version of the app and since then reseeding hasn't worked. Is there a different way to do this? If I right click and open "Open Container Folder" for the torrent i am trying to reseed, it just points to a random folder after i do the above steps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've been experiencing a similar problem. I had a half finished torrent from another client (Transmission-Qt) that I had started to download some time ago. I tried to resume the download with Transmission but since the directory of the folder has changed I can't get Transmission to recognize it.

I tried using uTorrent because I figured the "Force Re-Check" option would work as it has in the past but I can't even use it on the torrent in question. In fact, I can't use it at all on any torrent. The download I am trying to resume just starts over from the beginning without recognizing the data I already have. Nothing has changed other than the location of the folder.

ZzlhG.jpg

In the image you can see that in the right-click menu the "Force Re-Check" option is faded and unusable. Any idea on how to get this feature back?

EDIT: Fixed. I moved the data I had back to the original location and set the download location there. uTorrent recognized the data and allowed me to force a re-check. Not sure why I couldn't get it to work in the other location but this works.

I have a similar problem, can anyone advise?

I have been downloading two large torrents, 85gb and 134gb.

Both are downloading into around 20 folders each, and I set some folders as 'high priority' so they downloaded first.

When some of the folders were complete, I added 'COMPLETE' to the folder name. Of course, when I went back to uTorrent, the torrents had stopped, obviously because some of the folder names had changed. Realising my mistake, I went back and changed the folder names back to their original names. To re-start the torrent, I deleted it from the uTorrent list, and opened the original torrent file again, which has worked for me in the past.

The torrents re-started, but from zero, when I was probably about halfway through over 200gb of downloads, and uTorrent is not finding the files even in the folders where I did not change then change back the folder names.

Any ideas anyone?

When some of the folders were complete, I added 'COMPLETE' to the folder name

Marking things as incomplete is what Preferences -> [] General "Append.!ut to inclomplete files is there for.

And are you adding the .torrent back in as "Stopped" then forcing a recheck before starting the job?

Ciaobaby: Thanks very much for the reply.

I don't know about adding the torrent back in as 'stopped', I simply added it back in the same way I started it the first time. However, I did then stop it, and force a re-check, which after 12 or so hours is still at 0.0% for both torrents.

How would I add the torrent back in as 'stopped'?

So, I removed the torrents from the list, changed the settings, added the torrents back in as stopped, re-checked, and the check found nothing. I re-started the torrents, and not only did the re-check find nothing, the torrents are going at a snail's pace, about 0.5kbs, whereas before they were going at 50 to 200kbs.

Any suggestions?

Archived