Already downloaded torrents won't check and seed

tomm123

Something strange is happening.... some of the files in the folders where uTorrent is not picking up anything are completed playable files, which weren't complete and playable when I buggered up the folders. It appears that the downloads are continuing, but the information that uTorrent is giving me after the re-check is is incorrect, and though the re-check isn't picking up the files, uTorrent is still somehow able to complet the downloads.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the necrobump, but I found a solution to the problem, and I hope it may be helpful to others too.

The problem was failing re-checking torrents moved elsewhere than the original download directory, even after changing both the Location of downloaded files fields in the Preferences tab.

So I solved it by chance by changing the aforementioned fields to the new folder where the torrents are AND going by each individual torrent(which was in a Stopped 0.0% state in the GUI) and then Right-Click

-->Advanced-->Set Download Location. I set the download location to the same path as the Location of downloaded files ones.When promted to overwrite you *must* press No, or else or files will be screwed up and become unusable. Then re-check worked correctly and seeding proceeded as usual.

Hope that helps.

I am having this same issue. If I create a new torrent, it will not check the torrent if I click on the torrent file as I typically would to check a torrent before uploading it to a tracker.

If I download a torrent I am no longer seeding from a tracker so that I can help seed again, it also fails to check the torrent. This is also happening if I use bit torrent plus. That is why I got utorrent, hoping it would resolve the problem. It doesn't.

I have made hundreds of torrents and so I am confident that the files are prepared correctly. Also I have not renamed anything and have not defragmented the files.

• 1 month later...

Same problem here, I've just got a new harddrive and moved everything over, got a portable utorrent V3.2.3 and re-added the old seeds, re-directed the download location to new address and forced recheck, only a couple of the torrents were able to check-out, but most of them came back 0% even though the download was completed. Please someone help!

Same problem here, I've just got a new harddrive and moved everything over, got a portable utorrent V3.2.3 and re-added the old seeds, re-directed the download location to new address and forced recheck, only a couple of the torrents were able to check-out, but most of them came back 0% even though the download was completed. Please someone help!

ok... my bad! I just realised where I did wrong, when re-adding the torrents I chose 'select none' on the torrent content tab, so naturally force recheck came back 0... :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My problem occurred when I had windows Vista arbitrarily reset my USB drive from drive E to drive G. After I renamed everything to G and successfully forced recheck, Vista reverted back to calling it drive E. Just today, I upgraded to the latest version. Now, it will still show the correct file location under the advanced tab when I redirected to drive E, but, in the torrent window, it still lists the file as being on drive G and will not force recheck.

Fine. That's great for next time. Meantime, I've spent the better part of a day remounting 200 torrents. I suppose the easy answer would just be to never seed again and delete them all. Anyway, I still can't get 25 to work, so I'll have to chase down where I got them from tomorrow. The only things that has worked is to delete the torrent, then download the torrent fresh and force recheck. However, Utorrent just decided to hang up and needed to be shut down. So, 30 downloads in progress are now hung up and will have to be restarted. Thinking its time to find a new torrent program

• 2 weeks later...

I have just experienced this problem with my recent update. (v3.2.3 build 28705 32-bit) running on Windows 8 64-bit. From time to time, I will stop seeding (and even downloading) when I run into space issues on a volume. So, I have to move the torrent(s) to a different volume. A quick browse of the forum topics brought me here; this seems like the closest match to my problem.

I have attempted some of the suggested solutions, but I must confess I am a little confused. Why should a file rename or a path change affect the ability of uTorrent to locate the files? I don't pretend to understand all the complexities of the program, but it seems to me that "path" and "filename" should be fairly basic bits of code. When a torrent is moved or renamed, shouldn't it be fairly simple to simply update the path/filename and resume (either downloading or seeding)? Why all the workaround suggestions? Does it have to do with the code being written for another OS before being ported to Windows?

I apologize if it sounds like I'm coming down on the coders, its just that file/path issues seem to plague the client over the years and it just seems like a frustration that shouldn't be in place.

• 2 weeks later...

I was having a similar problem to tomm123

I searched the help file & many threads on the forums and came to this thread.

The solution came to me as I was documenting it to ask in the forum.

I was then able to remedy it.

The sequence of events followed

-C drive running out of space for current torrents.

-D drive added to use for seeds

-Stop several large completed seeds to make space on c for incoming down load data

-Copy completed seed data to D:\%SameAsPreviousFolder%\SameNameOfTorrent

-individually right click on seed>Advanced>Set Download Location...

-set each to D:\%SameAsPreviousFolder%\SameNameOfTorrent

-individually right click on torrent>Advanced>Force Re-Check

Each Result: Stopped 0%

Observed: each recheck took not enough time for size of data.

-At top menu choose Options>Show Detailed Info

put a check mark near this to see the tabs at the bottom.

-Select the "Info" tab. Look at the General section, "Save As:" field.

-Observed in the Save As field

D:\%SameAsPreviousFolder%\SameNameOfTorrent\SameNameOfTorrent

(Here was the source of my problem - a double name, folder in folder)

-->it should have said<--

D:\%SameAsPreviousFolder%\SameNameOfTorrent

Solution:

-right click on torrent>Advanced>Set Download Location...

-choose one folder higher

e.g. D:\%SameAsPreviousFolder%

****CAUTION****

When you do this you will be prompted to overwrite the current file.

DO NOT OVERWRITE CURRENT FILE! (You will lose data if you overwrite)

Choose "No"

-Now you can right click on torrent>Advanced>Force Re-Check

-once finished restart the seed, and seed forever we need the longevity.

Hope this helps others.

added drive

0% re-check

seed migration

torrent migration

data migration

TO hevanr:

Thank you so much for your logical, analytical presentation of a working solution to at least one of the "re-seed" problems that so many of us have been having with the newer versions of uT. I say "one of" because I haven't honestly been able to tell if there are many problems involved in re-seeding or only a couple. THANK YOU!

My additional comment: I think a part of what hevanr offered bears repeating in a really straight-forward statement because I believe it is an undocumented change from earlier versions of uT and that may be what's most confusing to many------>

***When trying to re-seed or "Set download location" after files have been moved or folders renamed (etc), you must point uT to the SAME folder level as you used when you first began your torrent during initial downloading. Unless my memory is faulty, older versions of uT required you to point uT to the folder that gets created INSIDE the folder you pointed to during initial downloading in order to find files, recheck contents, and begin seeding rather than downloading again.

Also worth repeating again: DO NOT CHOOSE TO OVERWRITE CURRENT FILES or you will be forced to download again because your existing files will be screwed up!****

Thank you hevanr!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello. I am having this very same problem. But in my case µTorrent seems to have automatically updated itself and in the process killed the resume.dat file. I've recovered it, but in some cases I can't get a valid re-check, though I've tried most of the remedies posted here. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or has this problem been resolved in a newer build? I'm using v 1.8.3 build 16010.

TIA

No. It means try current versions before bitching about something that isn't working.

I'm not sure "bitching" is a fair description of how I described the problem I'm having. I spent a good bit of time looking for a solution, found a fairly exhaustive thread on it, and simply asked whether the problem had been solved. I was looking for advice on what I can do with the current version to get it to work. That implies that I'm blaming my use of the app rather than the app itself.

So I did try the newest version, and was able to get the problem solved. Now other people who come here looking for help will find it (it was a bug, folks, and it's been sorted out), and won't have to ask and run the risk of running into somebody who's on the rag.

Thanks, and have a good one.

• 1 month later...

I had this problem trying to reseed. Everything was named exactly as first created. would not recheck upon adding the usual way and was stuck "checking 0.0%". I had made a fresh install of win 7 64 bit with utorrent version 3.3 build 29420 and wanted to reseed some torrents i had created that i had on my previous install. They would not recheck. SOLUTION: Skip hash check and all files are now seeding... MAKE SURE you are pointing to the right place. to check right click your file under file tab and goto open containing folder to make sure.

Been getting lots of bugs with files not checking and mirror links failing since last update too

people who come here looking for help will find it (it was a bug, folks, and it's been sorted out), and won't have to ask

Ya' think???

NEVER, EVER going to happen.

Which is why there are a dozen or so threads on the "checking 0%" problem which has also been fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived