Utorrent says disk full but the capacity of disk is more than enough

Ryan5481

I made a seperate drive of 169gb to download a torrent file of 163gb. I am done downloading about30 gb of the files and now utorrent says that the disk is full. The torrent's status is " error: write to disk: there is not enough space on the disk." The drive's properties shows 1.6mb free space and properties of the folder containing torrent files says that it is of 163gb. How can this happen when the actual capacity of drive is more than enough?

Another thing is that there is an empty folder that was a torrent file's folder that i can't delete . It's properties says 0 bytes. And on doing "show hidden system files" shows a file with recycle bin's icon named 'com1.{645ff040-50........} of 0 bytes that can't be deleted. It says "Couldn't find this item, this is no longer located in F:\. Verify item's location and try again."

I made a seperate drive of 169gb to download a torrent file of 163gb
Has this been created as a logical drive in a larger partition?
The main file size is of 166GB (with subfolders inside it)
Is this the 'locked' file/folder?

NB:

The more information you give,

the less questions we ask.

the sooner the problem could be resolved.

I made a seperate drive of 169gb to download a torrent file of 163gb
Has this been created as a logical drive in a larger partition?
The main file size is of 166GB (with subfolders inside it)
Is this the 'locked' file/folder?

NB:

The more information you give,

the less questions we ask.

the sooner the problem could be resolved.

I created the drive when i reinstalled the windows in my computer, it is 170GB NTFS healthy (primary partition), the folder is not locked, i can open all the subfolders and the downloaded medias can be played.

Does it require space larger than the file size to download?

With NTFS yes,

Use the command prompt dir to see how many clusters are free for file handles and storage.

it shows this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk f:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk

might report errors when no corruption is present.

Volume label is JM.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

68864 file records processed.

File verification completed.

45 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

71100 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

Security descriptor verification completed.

1118 data files processed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

178257919 KB total disk space.

178109692 KB in 8235 files.

3720 KB in 1120 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

140275 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

4232 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

44564479 total allocation units on disk.

1058 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

Assuming a Windows OS as you didn't specify.

You have a damaged file that is causing misreporting of the space.

Run drive checks and repair

Download CCleaner and run that to clean up the drives,

Defrag to consolidate the space on the drive

CCleaner said that there is low disk space and the drive clean up could not proceed after about 30%.

i defraged the drive but i could not see much change. it shows,"current status: OK 1% fagmented"

Have you checked the drive for any hidden files or folders?

Like i wrote in the original post on doing "show hidden files and folders" and unchecking "hide protected operating system files", it shows a  file with recycle bin's icon named 'com1.{645ff040-50........} of 0 bytes that can't be deleted. It says "Couldn't find this item, this is no longer located in F:\. Verify item's location and try again."

I think i am just going to download the torrent all over again in a new drive formatting the drives in the computer. The thing is what if it happens again and my computer's 300GB won't be enough.:/

Couldn't find this item, this is no longer located in F:\. Verify item's location and try again."

That is probably a damaged file or damaged index in the MFT (Master File Table) or a bad sector on the disk.

Run chkdsk in repair mode with chkdsk drive: /r/v in a command prompt before windows start up (Use F8 to bring up the boot menu.)

I typed "why a message my drive is full when it's not" in google to see if I could find anything useful for you, there are a few things there that you might look at, the link to this one seemed pretty good and mentions a program to download called WinDirStat. I'll paste the link, but I do know that utorrent forum doesn't like showing certain links, so if it doesn't come up then it will be the 2nd item down in the list on Google and it's from sevenforum.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213785-my-d-drive-says-its-full-contains-files-i-cant-see.html

It appears from this article that showing hidden files doesn't necessarily show everything.

I typed "why a message my drive is full when it's not" in google to see if I could find anything useful for you, there are a few things there that you might look at, the link to this one seemed pretty good and mentions a program to download called WinDirStat. I'll paste the link, but I do know that utorrent forum doesn't like showing certain links, so if it doesn't come up then it will be the 2nd item down in the list on Google and it's from sevenforum.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/213785-my-d-drive-says-its-full-contains-files-i-cant-see.html

It appears from this article that showing hidden files doesn't necessarily show everything.

Thanks, i got about 5GB by deleting recylebin with windirstat, it shows that the torrent's folder is of 164GB.

Archived