IP Blocking for Mac: Is Peerguardian only option? Does it work?

RaphSai

Whenever I search for this answer, the post heads in a direction that doesn't end up helping me at all. I am currently using an 8-Core MacPro and a 15inch MacBookPro. uTorrent was my first choice and I have never used anything else. I love it, but I am very concerned about SECURITY. I haven't used my laptop in a month or so, but I am running Peerguardian on it. Every time I would use uTorrent, I would turn PeerGuardian on first, and leave it on until I closed uTorrent. I added the blocklists, cruised around looking for different addresses to add and all of that, but really, it seems like every thread says that it's basically useless. Is it? I really would like some input before I install it on my $7,000 machine, and if I DO install it, will someone please describe what to add while installing it? Like I said, I know a little about adding the blocklist or whatever, but that was like a year ago. In no way am I partial to "Peerguardian", I just had no luck locating anything else for Macs, SO IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER OPTIONS, PLEASE LIST THEM AND COMPARE TO uTORRENT IF POSSIBLE! THANKS IN ADVANCE.

-RaphSai

PeerGuardian, PeerBlock and other IP blocker software DO block the IP addresses they're told to.

The problem is that people have deluded themselves into believing that the blocklists out there will actually protect them from something.

Those blocklists ONLY protect you from using your internet connection and computer properly. They do NOT protect you from anti-p2p groups.

Archived