Bug when saving a magnet link on root dir

fireattack

It's easy to reproduce.

1. check "UI settings->Show a window that displays the files inside the torrent in advanced mode"

2. uncheck "Directories->Locations of Downloaded Files->Put new downloads in", which means uTorrent would use last dir to save new ones.

3. Then just open a .torrent and make its download dir as root dir like "E:\"

4.Then open a magnet link from browser or ctrl+U

ib1v393HoRNjbt.png

You wil find that in the advanced window the dir would be "E:" w/o "\", which makes you can't enter it (will show a dialog like:

iePKy1qon1tLM.png

you have to add "\" manually. It's a long-time bug, I believe I have this problem w/ uT 2.x. But seems it isn't fixed yet.

you don't get my point.

I don't set it in preferences; uT would use LAST dir I used automatically;

in this case, last dir should be "E:\" instead of "E:" however uT lost trailing slash by some reasons i dunno when added a new magnet.

more clearly, uT considers "E:" as invalid path is not bug; but it automatically sets path as so is what I call "bug".

The "Save in" selector is a 'Combo Box' so you can use the dropdown selector to pick one with a trailing slash that's what it will use the next time.

C'mon!. None of this is rocket science you just need to use your eyes and some common sense.

You still don't get it..

if next time I tried download from a torrent and save the files at E:\

next next time I opened a magnet link, its "save in" becomes E: AGAIN.

You still don't get it..
I cannot see what happens on YOUR client and machine.

I can only make suggestion based on what I see happens with my client on my machine.and mine (3.2.1.27972) will default to whatever is in "Put new downloads in" directory. So have you added a trailing slash to that entry yet?

IF you have nothing in the "Put new downloads" field it WILL default to the "last used" entry in the "Save in" field of the "Add new ..." dialogue.

So assuming your client behaves exactly as mine does, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, adding a trailing slash in preferences (as suggested earlier) should cure your problem.

I thank your suggestion. I don't want set "Put new downloads in" because I want uT use LAST used directory. I respect your usage habit, and I think you should respect mine; since there is an option to work like that (by uncheck "Put new downloads in" uT would use your last dir), it is supposed to work correclty. But unfortunately it doesn't. It's just a BUG, which is independent of anyone's habit. You suggestion is just like I said "this way is broken", you replied that "why not go another way", which makes no sense.

The problem is very simple:

By uncheck "Put new downloads in", uT would set dir as LAST used one when adding new task. But if your last task is based on torrent, and the new one is based on magnet link, it will uncorreclty miss "\" from the dir.

ex1, if your last saving dir based on torrent is "E:\downloads\", then open a magnet link, it would automatically become "E:\downloads", but it won't prevent you to click "OK" because it's still a valid path;

ex2, if your last saving dir based on torrent is "E:\", then open a magnet link, it would automatically become "E:", which is invalid and you have to add "\" by yourself.

Above is for developer. So if you still don't wanna try to understand my meanings, that's your free choice.

ex1, if your last saving dir based on torrent is "E:\downloads\", then open a magnet link, it would automatically become "E:\downloads", but it won't prevent you to click "OK" because it's still a valid path;

But if you do not have a trailing slash on the drive and path in the downloads directory field, the "save in path" will become

drive:\pathtorrentname rather than drive:\path\torrentname and as far as I am aware has always been that way.

There is a known bug currently that puts new downloads into the AppData\utorrent\ directory, ignoring anything in the "Save in" box, but this trailing slash 'feature' has never shown up/caused a problem for myself probably because I have always closed any path specification with a trailing slash, simply because I know that IS the correct thing to do for delimiting paths and it has become second nature for me to do so.

I've followed your repro steps with 3.2.1 b 27972 and all looks fine here (win 7/x86 with an F:\ drive , not a network share)

thank you very much. I was using 3.2 stable version.

And I tried the beta ver., it indeed works well w/o this bug. So my problem get fixed in beta version. Solved!

BTW I just noticed that "Closed: Use the latest beta before reporting anything!" thread... so It's totally my fault.

And my apologize to ciaobaby if your misunderstanding is because of the version problem.

so It's totally my fault.

No need to apologize. If is expected that the stable will be fixed in a following beta, but knowing the devs - you can hardly expect to find all the fixes listed in the changelogs. Also, some sites do not allow beta versions...

I was about to go bug the coders about it

Not trusting my testing ... Nice... :P

Archived