Download dialogue box fails to open.

shipaii

Hello, and thanks for taking your time to read this

I have been using uTorrent on this machine for a few months without any problems, but today I found a problem that I haven't been able to resolve with any of the solutions provided on this forum.

When double clicking a torrent file, utorrent will automatically open itself, and open a download dialogue, where it asks for download location, and file name etc. This however has stopped working on my computer from today. When double clicking torrents from download list in firefox, the dialogue doesn't show, and same when double clicking from a folder. The dialogue box also doesn't open if I manually add a torrent through utorrent(ctrl+O). The program will still open itself when clicking a torrent, and everything aside from the download dialogue seems to be working perfectly.

However, if I click add torrent and chose save dir(ctrl+D) the download will begin, without any problems.

Since it is very inconvenient to go through the add torrent an locate the torrent file, I am wondering if anyone knows how to make the download dialogue appear again when I click torrents.

What I tried to solve it:

Update utorrent(had latest version (3.2(build 27568) 32bit))

add through web(didn't work)

restart computer(didn't work)

download from different trackers(didn't work)

Thanks for reading

The latest stable version.

And by dialogue box I mean the box that opens in utorrent, where you chose file destination and file name. It opens before the torrents are loaded into utorrent and starts downloading. Without this opening, I can't chose the file destination, and my download can't start.

Thanks for the reply

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I seem to be having the same problem. After opening the torrent file, the application does not show me the file details nor does it ask me where to save the file. It just directly downloads to the Downloads folder in the C drive. Actually Ive been using utorrent for a couple of years but this has been happening since recently after I meddled with settings and I don't know what I did. I want utorrent to ask me where I would want to save the file before downloading because I have different download locations for movies, games etc. Searching for a solution in the forum landed me here.

FYI, utorrent version: 3.2 build 27708 (32 bit)

System config: i5, 4 GB, Win 7 64bit.

P.S: Hope this thread is still active and I get a solution for this.

Thank you in advance!

I was having this problem too. Apparently the problem is related with the option of post #6, but checking/unchecking that option doesn't have any effect to me.

The only way I found to solve this was:

1) Close uTorrent

2) Backup all my \Data\Settings folder

3) Delete \Settings folder

4) Open uTorrent again

5) Close uTorrent one more time

6) Restore all files but "settings.dat"

7) Reconfigure all uTorrent preferences

I'm using uTorrent 3.2.2 (build 28500).

Porlyte,

Thank you very much. It worked. But there is a small problem. I was actually downloading a game and it was about 60% done. But after that deleting and restoring thing, I do not know where it went. I loaded the torrent again but then it started from 0%. Can you help me?

And thanks a lot for solving my earlier problem. I was breaking my head over it because all my downloads were being downloaded into the C drive where there is hardly any space. Re-arranging the downloaded files was a big head ache. You made my life a lot easier, thanks!

Please tell me how to load the half downloaded torrent. i have no idea where the file vanished. It was supposed to be in the Downloads folder in my C drive.

Thank you. Appreciate your help.

• 1 month later...
I was having this problem too. Apparently the problem is related with the option of post #6, but checking/unchecking that option doesn't have any effect to me.

The only way I found to solve this was:

1) Close uTorrent

2) Backup all my \Data\Settings folder

3) Delete \Settings folder

4) Open uTorrent again

5) Close uTorrent one more time

6) Restore all files but "settings.dat"

7) Reconfigure all uTorrent preferences

I'm using uTorrent 3.2.2 (build 28500).

I don't understand step number 2 and 3

What do u exactly mean by \Data\Settings folder

Where are these supposed to be located? :s