Continue download of Partially downloaded file but no .torrent file

skmdcam

This thread is probably the most relevant, although not the same:

https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=125046

Once magnet links are converted to torrents, utorrent discards the magnet link information in favour of the .torrent information in the resume.dat file. Without the .torrent, it has no information on the torrent.

The only way to get your torrents back is to reload the .torrent files - either by reloading them from the sites you got them from, or copying them back if you have a copy of the original directory before you changed things.

Make a back up of the current resume.dat file. Are the files still in the recycle bin? If so, restore the .torrent files and the resume.dat file and you should be good to go. If you have a recent backup of your drive, then you could copy those files back. You can also use the auto-load directory function (use a different directory) to reload the .torrent files up to the last backup. I bulk imported 1100 torrents that way once.

Otherwise an undelete program is the only other recovery option and will get only some of the files back.

Thanks, that was precise. I dont have the .torrent fiile but do know the location of the exact torrents on the sites I download from. But utorrent does not seem to recognize the partial download and starts from 0% again, without a hash check.

How do I get that to communicate?

(strange thing noticed- I checked recycle bin for possible deletes, and i discovered torrents from probably 6-9 months back! but not the recent ones! that must have happened when I re-installed utorrent by deselecting 'save my settings', no?)

But utorrent does not seem to recognize the partial download and starts from 0% again, without a hash check.

You should be able to right click on the torrents and do a force recheck. Do a single torrent first, but you can select multiple once you are sure it's going to work. It'll should only take a few minutes to do them all, assuming you have a few dozen.

If that doesn't work it might be expecting the files in a different location. If your initial directory and your final directory may be different, or you may have a different path set up than when you first downloaded the torrents because your settings are different. In this case you may have to manually set the path - right-click - advanced - set download location. It might take a bit of fiddling, but if you've done it right it should warn you that the destination already exists. Then you can force a recheck.

Either way, once you've figured out, you can select multiple torrents and perform the action on all of them. If you have a huge number of torrents that you need to change the paths for, you can consider using bencode to change the paths in bulk http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 A few dozen or less is quicker to change individually though.

(strange thing noticed- I checked recycle bin for possible deletes, and i discovered torrents from probably 6-9 months back! but not the recent ones! that must have happened when I re-installed utorrent by deselecting 'save my settings', no?)

That I can't tell you. If you hit delete and had the shift key held down at the time, that means it does not go to the recycle bin but just gets deleted (still recoverable with an undelete type program for a while though). Possibly they are still sitting in a directory on your drive somewhere (do a search). Or perhaps you just deleted the whole utorrent directory and that is the only thing you would see in the recycle bin. Just be aware if you restore the utorrent directory from the recycle bin you may overwrite your current install unless you rename your current install first.

Archived