New 'Name' field and downloading all files into one directory

Athari

With the introduction of the new 'Name' field I can't put all files from multiple-file torrents into one folder now. Suppose I have these torrents:

Torrent1

--File1

--File2

Torrent2

--File3

--File4

How do I download them into this file structure

C:\

--Downloads

----File1

----File2

----File3

----File4

instead of this proposed structure?

--Downloads

----Torrent1

------File1

------File2

----Torrent2

------File3

------File4

With the new 'Name' field in the 'Save in' dialog, new folder with the name entered into this field is always created, unless I clear the field. But if I clear it, the torrent is diplayed without the name, obviously.

The problem becomes much worse with torrents like these:

Torrent1

--Folder1

----File1

----File2

Torrent2

--Folder2

----File3

----File4

uTorrent now forces me to use this file structure:

--Downloads

----Torrent1

------Folder1

--------File1

--------File2

----Torrent2

------Folder2

--------File3

--------File4

Obviously, this is unusable. I have to move files around and just not bother with seeding. Previously, in this situation I could set download path for both torrents to 'C:\Downloads'. Now I can't do that without doing unobvious things and losing ability to view torrent names in the list.

Question: how to tell uTorrent not to create a new folder with the name entered into the 'Name' field?

and in the case of:

Torrent1

--File1

--File2

Torrent2

--File1

--File2

What happens then?????

I really don't see the "problem" you have with this, surely a directory structure that maintains the seperation between files from different sources is FUNDAMENTAL to a disc filing system.

I was a company IT manager and one of the problems I constantly had was explaining to some users that the computer didn't know that 'letter.doc' and 'letter.doc' were for different people so the first one was overwritten and NO it DOES NOT WORK LIKE A "filing cabinet" at all.

Okay, here's a realistic example:

Torrent 1: Random Sitcom - Season 1

--Season 1

----Season 1 - Episode 1 - Foo.avi

----Season 1 - Episode 2 - Bar.avi

Torrent 2: Random Sitcom - Season 2

--Season 2

----Season 2 - Episode 1 - Baz.avi

----Season 2 - Episode 2 - Qux.avi

When downloaded with uTorrent to directory C:\Downloads\Random Sitcom, it becomes:

--Downloads

----Random Sitcom

------Random Sitcom - Season 1

--------Season 1

----------Season 1 - Episode 1 - Foo.avi

----------Season 1 - Episode 2 - Bar.avi

------Random Sitcom - Season 2

--------Season 2

----------Season 2 - Episode 1 - Baz.avi

----------Season 2 - Episode 2 - Qux.avi

An episode's file name becomes this:

C:\Downloads\Random Sitcom\Random Sitcom - Season 1\Season 1\Season 1 - Episode 1 - Foo.avi

Does it help to organize my files a bit? On the contrary, it makes the file structure deeper without adding any information. Directories named after torrents contain just one directory each.

And I can't do anything about the file hierarchy inside those torrents. People just do that.

Another realistic example. I like nicely organized file structure for the software. An installer can be put into a directory like C:\Install\Editing\Text\Notepad\9.11\NotepadSetup.exe. How can I do that now? Download it into directory C:\Install\Editing\Text\Notepad and name it 9.11? (It's multiple-file torrent, it contains documentation in addition to the installer.)

Ok, so why not just use 'labels' and delete the part of the name you don't need, or don't want when you add the torrent, that way when it completes it becomes;

label-

------Season 01

------Season 02

------and so on.

Everything is there you simply need to lean how to use it.

You mean labels inside uTorrent? Do you expect me to start uTorrent every time I want to watch another episode of the Random Sitcom? Do you expect me to make my file system a mess just to organize it using labels inside uTorrent? Are you kidding? :lol:

Archived