Do you use a 2.x or older version of uT?

naiduv

• 2 weeks later...

And yet you asked anyway. You had all the tools and prior knowledge to answer your own question but you didn't. If that's not a failure in the truest sense of the word I don't know what is.

You're language just highlights further your own frustration at not being able to answer the obvious. Congratulations.

Why you trolling me bro?  I mean my original post was on topic and not rude in any way, wtf obvious question are you talking about?  I never even asked a question.  Maybe it's a language barrier or something.  When someone says "I believe" in a sentence they are basically saying "I might be wrong but pretty sure I'm not".  Seriously....not sure what your problem is other than like I said before your just a dick.

Actually I only have one issue with 3.3.2 and that's setting a download limit haults all traffic.  This thread should be called "What version of utorrent satisfies your crap to functionality threshold?".

I revisited this version after growing weary of confusing, multi-daily updates to current builds based on different development branches, all with glaring bugs that never seem to be addressed as developers relentlessly insert and then fine-tune superfluous "social-centric" features.  Other than the mysterious, uncontrollable growth of DHT nodes from 400-700 (normal) to 1900+ and missing read cache data in disk statistic graphs that I recall at the time, I'd never globally limited d/l rates when it was a current release.  Since reinstalling last week I needed to restrict a d/l that was choking my 300 kBs service to an Android TV media box and discovered that resetting the d/l limit two or three times corrected the problem of it killing all traffic.  Check it out.  Considering bugs and workarounds in the current stable and beta, I consider this a minor inconvenience.

I continue to test new releases hoping for core improvement that has been mostly illusory, but this build was definitely a sweet spot; far fewer advanced offer.* settings needed to restrict / disable to avoid introduction of more annoyances and potential privacy issues, with several GUI benefits that don't seem to have degraded performance compared to what I consider the all-time bulletproof 2.2.1 or earlier standards. 

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• 4 weeks later...

Using version 2.2.1 (25302)

Why it's good? Well, let's see:

• Stable
  • No disk I/O and caching issues
  • No ads
  • No social features
  • No streaming features
  • No multimedia features
  • No anti-virus integration
  • Clean and fast UI:
  • It is considerably more responsive without visible delay
  • Search engine field that CAN BE hidden (while on that topic — every sane person expects this field to be used for filtering existing torrents and does not expect it to perform external web search)
  • Narrower rows in the main list. More information fits on the screen as a result
  • No comment/rating tabs (that don't go away even when you explicitly turn them off)
  • No dialog window that ask you to rate every single torrent you delete (while ratings has been explicitly turned off)

One problem that 2.2.1 has is "Apps" which you can not turn off, uTorrent keeps creating directories at every restart (at least App Pane can be hidden). And one minor annoyance is Find Content Pane (luckily can be hidden as well).

Exactly my feelings. Couldn't have said it better Especially the ads, the social  media stuff etc... irk me no end. Needless bloatware. Ads are bad enough when you browse the web, but to see them in a program which is installed in my own PC feels like a privacy invasion and causes me stress.

Exactly my feelings.

Personally I find 3.4.x to have a clean UI.. also is anyone having disk I/O and caching issues now? I don't get asked to rate torrents and I don't have built in Anti-virus.

As far as social features go, I have a Facebook icon.. I don't have ads either and haven't had any stability problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Using v2.2.1 because of the same reasons listed above.

uTorrent was supposed to be a extremely lightweighted torrent program and it seem like the ones that bought it forgot that part and only see $$.

I wouldn't touch 3.x versions ever and compare it to malware. There is a reason that most private torrentsites doesn't allow utorrent newer than 2.x.

It's sad how they managed to ruin the greatest torrent program in such a short time...

Using v2.2.1 because of the same reasons listed above.

Features are something you don't have to use and many of those reasons aren't actually good reasons.

Ruined? How? Cept the RSS.. :3 my uTorrent 3.4.2 looks better than 2.2.1 and chances are the UI is faster too.

Try the latest, turn off the ads in the prefs and give it a shot.. back up beforehand to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

2.2.1 was ans still is the best version out there. Every since bittorrent bought uttorent, it has just gone down the drain, especially with the ads and social media bs. 

Have you read nothing I've said above? Ads can be disabled, and the "social media bs" is two icons..so 2.2.1 is best why? for those reasons? There are many improvements in 3.4

Do what I said above (Beasly has wonderfully created a page dealing with just this) and give it a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you read nothing I've said above? Ads can be disabled, and the "social media bs" is two icons..so 2.2.1 is best why? for those reasons? There are many improvements in 3.4

Do what I said above (Beasly has wonderfully created a page dealing with just this) and give it a shot.

Interesting that you don't find the fact of having to tweak fifteen (that's right, no less than 15!) settings only to have a "normal" program disturbing.

2.2.1 has so many fans because it's simple. It does one job and does it well: it downloads content from torrent files and magnet links. That's it. Luckily, that's the reason 99% of the people installing a torrent program does it. To handle torrent files.

If all these other "features" in newer versions were opt-in, I would bite, but they're not. They're all activated by default, wasting resources for no good reason, even though 99% of the users never even look at them. And they're both resistant and resilient. You yourself have given proof of that. Just to disable ads, you have to follow instructions on a page (because it's too obscure for a normal user to figure out) and touch 15 different settings. That's horrible! But it gets even worse, because at least with the ads, after following those 15 steps, you succeed. There are other "features" that no matter what you do, they keep coming back.

And yes, there are a lot of "security concerns" with older versions. Things that we're missing out. They have been saying that for years now. It's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. IMO, it's far better having a working system with a few potential holes than a secure but broken system. And it is broken. This is not a mass delusion. After years of having "stable" 3.x releases, they still haven't managed to iron out all the bugs they introduced when they switched from 2.x to 3.x. They keep adding more and more unwanted (or at least unnecessary) features, instead of focusing all their energy in guaranteeing the correct behavior of the main (and arguably, only important) feature: handling torrents.

1.8.2 version is best for me.

No ads. No useless crap within the interface. Period.

Consume less RAM than new 3.x filled with bloatware.

Does not start to eat CPU randomly like mad (as 3.x)

All above means that it runs nice and easy, without bothering me or my PC :)

Absolutely no reasons to update. At least while it works with Win 7 ( and Win 7 has support time until 2023).

• 3 weeks later...

For now I'm using 3.3.2 (30586) dumbed down to look like v2.  I did use 2.2.1 for many years.  I use Utorrent as a DVR substitute for over 200 TV shows, so I need multi-label features.  I also use UT as a video library/media center.  To me, it never made sense to delete a file from another media library and then delete it again from Utorrent after seeding.  I just hit play in UT, and delete it once the show is watched.  Simple!

So... Utorrent 2.2.1< is missing:

*no filtering/searching for torrents (with 1000's of RSS links this is a must!)

*no ability to multi-sort columns (shift-clicking 2 or 3 columns.)  Handy for incoming shows by date, name, and episode #.

*slower reconnection on restart

*Magnets have more trackers than .torrents (v2.0.x problem.) (Compared links on TPB.)

*Connection to DHT is very limited, so my number of peers/seeders is always smaller.

BIG problem with v3.0+:

*I get ISP letters no matter my encryption settings, or Peer Block status.  I never get these with Tixati, even when using NO ENCRYPTION!  Why???  I didn't get them with v2.2.1 but I haven't used it in 3 years and ISP's are much better at detection now.  So honestly don't know if it would help.

*Note: most letters stop when I turn off Utorrent Remote.  I don't remember problems with WebUI but I'd need to test.

Comments to others:  With 3.3.2 I've had no problems with Down limits or I/O disk caching or crashes.  When using either DSL or Cable all versions of utorrent (and all other torrent clients) have always limited uploads to about 220kb/s.  But I use big-name ISP's so I've always assumed it's them.  HOWEVER, if I run 2 or 3 clients at a time each will upload to the full 220kb/s.  Confusing.  I generally use 1 client though.

I am, however, considering v2.2.1 as a separate WAN/LAN file sharing app.

Hi :ph34r:

I have stopped visit the forum as I still use 2.2.1 and I am pretty happy (over 1500 torrents seeding and Terabytes of data upload and download)

I tested some 3.* versions some time ago but I stopped doing that. I log in today (sunday free time) and I see an ads enabled utorrent and some features not useful for me.

So I keep the old good 2.2.1. B)

I wish when I come again in the forum some time before 2016 you provide the minimal utorrent version many people want. :huh:

Thanks for the 2.2.1 version, keep the 3 version and your ads for you and for ignorants that provide tracking data to make money from them ;);)

:wub: 2.2.1 lover :wub:

• 4 months later...

Archived