Do you use a 2.x or older version of uT?

naiduv

gc, if you have 5000 torrents and utorrent closes in seconds then it is most assuredly not closing correctly. it takes time to properly notify the tracker that you have stopped leecing/seeding. that said, it definitely shouldn't take hours to close, and in my case (2.2.1) it doesn't - at most it shuts down in 30 seconds.

That's more the fact that Microsoft now own Skype.

i don't see how those claims are conflicting.

They aren't per se.

But everyone aims their vitriolic remaks at the developers of a product, who are simply doing a job and really do not deserve such abuse, it is THE OWNERS and the managers who pull the strings and call the tune who are the people to rage at.

ciao, i did not see sonia disparaging skype's developers specifically.

gc, in that case, if you're up for a little experimentation, i would suggest backing up your resume.dat file, then removing the finished torrents from the list and measuring how much time 2.2.1 and 1.8 take to shut down. also, when you said "hours", did you mean literally hours?

dubnium, "5000 torrents in list" doesn't mean "5000 active torrents in list". Most of them are Finished.

This isn't exactly relevant to this subject, but... why do you have nearly 5,000 finished torrents in your list? If they are 'finished,' they are stopped, so you're not seeding for them. And, yes, I could see having a few of them around after you've completed them, but nearly 5,000?

Keldin, because I use torrent list as the second ("reserve") catalogization tool (the first one is WhereIsIt). When torrent is downloaded I rename its folder and its name in torrent list to the name of its topic on the tracker. This allows me to quickly determine later if I downloaded the particular torrent before (WII is very slow). Also, when I downloaded a new version of a movie (of higher quality) I marked old version as "to be deleted" both in WII and in torrent list using the label (I may not be able to delete it at once 'cause it might be stored on stand-alone HDD - I have about 20 of them for now). Why both - because, on the one hand, I don't want to delete torrent that I still have from the list, but, on the other hand, I don't want to leave it in the list after I deleted it. I may forget to delete it from the list after deleting it from the HDD - "To be deleted" label will remind me to.

Still (trying) to use ut 2.0.4 where I can (in most cases I was "forced" to replace them with newer versions, since these were constantly crashing lately with 1000+ active torrents).

I understand the reason of many new features - and why it can be useful for the average use, so I'm not trying to say, that everything after this version is a shit. :)

Here are my thoughts on what I don't like about the newer versions (sorted by importance):

1. I'm moving / naming multiple files in batch, and then use "set download location"./ "relocate", to point the torrents to the new location. There were a ofrum thread earlier about this (when this feature was introduced), that it would be great to have a way (for example through an advanced option) to disable the moving completely (making it work like it was in 2.0.4 and before). Yes, pressing an "n" key to the "File move target already exists..." message isn't a big deal, but if I accidentally pick a wrong file, it takes some extra work, before I can select the right one.

2. The name / path separation bothers me too, takes some work to add a something which already stored on the disk, but in a different file / folder name as it is in the torrent.

3. Labeling: would be great to have an option to disable multi labeling, now it takes twice the time to move something from one label to an other.

These are my main issues, if they get a configuration option somewhere to use the old behaviour I'll really be happy.

dubnium, well, maybe later I'll try to. But what will it show? Let's assumed that without Finished torrents v2 will close as fast as v1.8 - and what?
did you mean literally hours?

4 hours is what I remember for sure.

Because of a default option change from 1.x->2.x: graceful shutdown off->on

If the option is on, ut takes a long time shutting down, greeting to every known peer, saying goodbye, exchanging gifts, etc. Well it's polite but the process takes time.

You could turn it off in advanced option. ut should close in seconds.

danei, thanks, you made it clear. But hours is anyway too much.

Yes it's too much time, so just turn it off. I myself keep the option off for all time since I realized ut took half an hour to shut down even with only 300+ torrents, and others peers won't lose a coin if I shut down ut "ungracefully".

• 2 weeks later...
I'm using ver 2.0.4 because it's the last version before the bloatware got in ! :mad:

Not just bloatware but many useless things even the ui changed for the worse.

A trustworthy reliable utorrent client without crapware and other rubbish modifications 2.0.4.221150 no slowdown nothing works as you would expect a torrent client to work.

This version should be the benchmark to build a new client upon. Fix any bugs disk cache I/O, magnet add, no need for recheck on restart where client turned of when torrents were paused, and others etc and there you have it fully working minimal utorrent client we all need. I did say don't mess with the ui.

It makes sense to base new build from 2.0.4.221150

dubnium' date=' well, maybe later I'll try to. But what will it show? Let's assumed that without Finished torrents v2 will close as fast as v1.8 - and what?
did you mean literally hours?

4 hours is what I remember for sure.

Because of a default option change from 1.x->2.x: graceful shut down off->on

If the option is on, ut takes a long time shutting down, greeting to every known peer, saying goodbye, exchanging gifts, etc. Well it's polite but the process takes time.

You could turn it off in advanced option. ut should close in seconds.

Agree more so if dht turned for any torrent since they will take forever to go goodbye. I normally pause torrents when are zero or <>1 then close utorrent. Even then will wait a few minutes in case any last dat has uploaded.

For dht if you close your client look at the connection in tray, connection panel or other see the continued activity goes on for ages. That is how long they take to end and some don't for a good while. If you disconnect the router and disconnect the phone line for a few minutes then reconnect them. Your connection will back ok again if have non static ip. Now visit browse a site or two and download a file then close the browser, how much activity do you see 'non'. Or look at connection log or use a tool and see the dht connections not end after close utorrent client, may also be the same with other utorrent clients.

I do have graceful shut down set as true but don't see it take that long and all is ok next utorrent start. Maybe it is the way you close down without pausing or stopping clients is the reason it could be taking so long!

This is OT and should be moved with the other posts to a new post or deleted :)

uT users with anything higher than 2.2.1 aren't welcome on our tracker. I don't think I have to explain why. Everybody is fine with that, because they need a stable, light, fast and primary-objective-oriented software.

I believe all this monetization and other s**t route of 3.x is what eventually may lead uT to downfall. We all remember examples of software that took the wrong road and ended up in garbage state forgotten by userbase.

That is why we started recommending other (modern and foss) torrent clients we found to be stable and appropriate. Also I find that user community control over open-source software is much easier.

Good luck with uT 4.x, developers, if you remember what uT was loved for and come up with something worth, "we'll meet again".

+1000000.

Still on 2.2.1. I've tried updating to the latest version a few times but always go back, usually the same day.

What I like about it is that it does what it's supposed to and nothing more. I just need something with a clean interface that simply shares files.

If it's ever necessary I'll probably switch clients rather than update to the latest utorrent unless the current philosophy changes.

Edit: I just remembered something funny about one of the 3.x versions (and maybe the current one) - it didn't display something as vital as peer count unless you configured it to. It felt kind of insulting, like you expect the average utorrent user is too stupid to make use of that information so you'll just replace with a color code or whatever it was. So I guess I like that 2.2.1 was simple but smart.

it didn't display something

Because you were in "basic" display mode. One click (mode-change) and you would see it all. Sometimes new releases have more features, and different defaults, you know...

If I were you, I'd give 3.3 another go...:)

I'm using ver 2.0.4 because it's the last version before the bloatware got in ! :mad:

Not just bloatware but many useless things even the ui changed for the worse.

A trustworthy reliable utorrent client without crapware and other rubbish modifications 2.0.4.221150 no slowdown nothing works as you would expect a torrent client to work.

This version should be the benchmark to build a new client upon. Fix any bugs disk cache I/O' date=' magnet add, no need for recheck on restart where client turned of when torrents were paused, and others etc and there you have it fully working minimal utorrent client we all need. I did say don't mess with the ui.

It makes sense to base new build from 2.0.4.221150[/quote']

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth !

It's like after that version they were set to mess everything up

I'm using 2.2.1 Build 25130.

I made several attempts to use V3: 3.1,3.2, 3.3.

Always the same disapointment. And the attitude of developpers ! Close to being insuting when you comment negatively !

In fact all this smells (stinks??) the inclination of the team to make money out of this decade old project.

Ought to have been open source since Day one. Keep fighting for good old V2 !

1. It is not "my" site, and not "my" download server. "Fair"is also trying to see things in the proper proportions. I think I am.

2. No sane company supports old versions. They are declared "end-of-life" (e.g. M$/ XP).

3. Newer versions also fixes old bugs, and add some useful features (e.g. magnet handing, etc). These facts tend to be forgotten.

4. Yes, 3.0/1/2 also have bugs/issues. Those are (true, too slowly...) being fixed...

5. My estimate is that the latest beta (3.3) will,eventually, come to the 2.2.1 level of performance and better, since the core I/O engine was revised.

6. Don't use/enable features/offers that you don't want. That way, you wouldn't have any reason to complain... ;p The fact that people do not want/know/learn how to do that, does not mean it's not possible.

7. It is free. Don't forget that. It means something.

If you'll review my posts here over the years (and the tips/sig below) , you'll see that I did my tests, and know a bit about about 2.2/3.x diffs and limitations. For me, there is *always* things to improve. It also means you need to find a way to live with the limitations (e.g. - my recommended settings...) .

Yes, sometimes, you (and I) hold onto an older version and wait till a new version matures/improves. It is not a life&death situation. Only Internet and file-sharing... And no one owes you anything.You don't like what you see - go somewhere else. Some people say that it is not much greener out there... ;)

^ My 2 cents...

Archived