Do you use a 2.x or older version of uT?

naiduv

Thank you for a long and very fair reply.

1. It is not "my" site, and not "my" download server. "Fair"is also trying to see things in the proper proportions. I think I am.

Sure I am a little bit confused about your actual role. With so many posts and guides I thought you were part of the dev team, the most open and reasonable one, and thats why i choose to quote you. I see my mistake, and apologize for the confusion.

2. No sane company supports old versions. They are declared "end-of-life" (e.g. M$/ XP).

True, but they do that after YEARS OF GOOD PERFORMANCE by some stable version. MS did not discontinue XP until W7 proved to be good and stable. With ùTorrent we now have 4 versions of V3 which look more like Vista! (which in itself is an unmainatinable situation). I am not blaming them to stop SUPPORTING 2.2.1 but to have deliberatly tried to ban it before anything solid was in view

4. Yes, 3.0/1/2 also have bugs/issues. Those are (true, too slowly...) being fixed...

yes, too slowly. And they never kil these 3.0, 3.1 etc so they face an endless nightmare with "backporting " corrections as they say (but seldom do..)

Anyhow, again, my comments are only meant to try to focus on an improvement path rather than elaborating new feature, add-ons, ùTorrent Plus etc.. What's the target ? Realibility, Maintainability or a few Nickels and Dimes ??

to stop SUPPORTING 2.2.1 but to have deliberatly tried to ban it

Not true. No one is banning it. Just not supporting nor distributing it. You know very well that there is no real issue to get a copy.

they never kil these 3.0, 3.1 etc

Not true. They are"killed" is exactly the way that 2.2.1 is. Meaning = unsupported and not distributed.

Realibility, Maintainability or a few Nickels and Dimes ??

All of the above ... :P

It took 2.0/1/2 to get to "our" 2.2.1, and it takes 3.0/1/2 to get to 3.3... Which I consider as a good release candidate at 2.2.1 level .

And may the force be with them ... :)

utorrent 2.2.1 handles magnets just fine. name 5 real improvements that have been implemented in 3.x.

Here are just a few (in 3.2.3/3.3) -

Some Fixes:

-----------

Fixed/better handling of magnets (preview and preselect files)

Fixed an issue of not displaying/handling correctly speeds above 16MB/s

Webseeding fixes

Some Features/improvements:

---------------------

support BEP33 (DHT scrape)

support auto-tracker udp/tcp support ID to avoid hammering trackers (new BEP)

Add Win8 support

Using of text-search-filters (in Advanced pref. & main-view)

Automatically set-download-location + move-files

Configurable auto-assignment of download path per label

Updated help-file/site (see my sig)

Future features(3.3+):

---------------------

New disk IO system for better handling of higher connection data-rates

More, that some find useful (and I don't...), All user initiated/selectable/opted features:

-----------------------------------------

Streaming

Simplified list-view (for beginners)

Rating & comments per torrent

For more - go view the change-logs...

thus far, i find 3.2.1 build 28086 the most stable among all.

i tried from version 2.0.4 > 2.2.1 > 3.0 > 3.1.3 > 3.2.0 > 3.2.1 > 3.2.3 > 3.3 > 3.4.

latest r all crap, mainly becoz it still at alpha n beta test stages.

v2.x.x got glitches too, sometime it will crash/hang/err, so did v3.2.3.

i'm running v3.2.1.28086 with xp sp3, it has been fine n stable so far.

not much to complain about, it works.

give it a try, i think u will agree with me.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that you have started with uTorrent Plus and what not, and are constantly developing a 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 branch all at once.. Why not simply add a uTorrent Lite, stripping all the nonsense many of us doesn't really care about (anti-virus, streaming, transcoding / converting and all other things not directly related to actually downloading and uploading using the torrent protocol..)

Having a dedicated branch trimming away all the fat and only focusing on what a torrent client is really all about, getting the optimum performance out of our torrents with the lowest system resource footprint.

This is exactly what happened with Nero, in the begging they simply offered a damn awesome burning software for Windows.. But from version 5 and onwards they started adding all kinds of nonsense not related to burning at all, making the entire package more clunky, less stable and over all a much worse package for those whom was simply asking for their damn burning software and not all the other nonsense.. Luckily the community provided us with illegal "Nero Lite" versions providing us with only the burning software, which was exactly what we was after all along..

This is how I feel about uTorrent, now it's more about adding all kinds of "new features" which have nothing to do with actual torrenttransfers at all.. As I'm not liking this development I will continue to stick with the oldest version currently supported by the trackers I use, which currently is v2.0.4.

EDIT:

And how come 3.2.3 adds support for Windows 8? What is this supposed to mean exactly? It's not like running v2.0.4 (like I do) on both my Windows 8 systems and one Windows Server 2012 (Windows 8 Server) is providing me with any issues of any sort.

Neither do I have any kinds of problem with magnet links of any sort.

Now that you have started with uTorrent Plus and what not, and are constantly developing a 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 branch all at once.. Why not simply add a uTorrent Lite, stripping all the nonsense many of us doesn't really care about (anti-virus, streaming, transcoding / converting and all other things not directly related to actually downloading and uploading using the torrent protocol..)

Having a dedicated branch trimming away all the fat and only focusing on what a torrent client is really all about, getting the optimum performance out of our torrents with the lowest system resource footprint.

This is exactly what happened with Nero, in the begging they simply offered a damn awesome burning software for Windows.. But from version 5 and onwards they started adding all kinds of nonsense not related to burning at all, making the entire package more clunky, less stable and over all a much worse package for those whom was simply asking for their damn burning software and not all the other nonsense.. Luckily the community provided us with illegal "Nero Lite" versions providing us with only the burning software, which was exactly what we was after all along..

This is how I feel about uTorrent, now it's more about adding all kinds of "new features" which have nothing to do with actual torrenttransfers at all.. As I'm not liking this development I will continue to stick with the oldest version currently supported by the trackers I use, which currently is v2.0.4.

EDIT:

And how come 3.2.3 adds support for Windows 8? What is this supposed to mean exactly? It's not like running v2.0.4 (like I do) on both my Windows 8 systems and one Windows Server 2012 (Windows 8 Server) is providing me with any issues of any sort.

Neither do I have any kinds of problem with magnet links of any sort.

We are thinking about releasing something like this.

Soon.

Soon.

I would buy it. Heck' date=' if it will be free, I will just send you money out of excitement and happiness.[/quote']

+1 to that.

3.3 already completely removed the app shit so that's a start:

Yeah and added a whole host of bugs to boot. Bittorrent really needs to get it's head around what a stable release is.

I decided to give the new 3.3 release a go, upgraded from my somewhat trusted 2.0.4 client. Let me start with saying that uTorrent is running on my server running Windows Server 2012, so it's not like I check in on it a lot..

But it's been like a week since I upgraded and it's been three times when I have used TeamViewer to check up on how uTorrent is doing that it's simply not been running at all.. There is no error message or anything so I have no clue whether it's been crashing or not but already after just one week of use it has been "disappearing" three times more in one single week than 2.0.4 has been for over two months.

And considering 2.0.4 doesn't even "support Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012" I find this rather fuzzy. If it weren't for the private trackers that I'm using I would still be using version 1.6.1, the last build by "Ludde". It's all gone downhill ever since the BitTorrent team started to mess around with the code and have had their focus on all kinds of nonsense not related to the important stuff which is reliability, lightweight and top transfer speeds.

EDIT:

A direct result of this is that my latest Family Guy Episode download, which usually get a ratio of at least 15:1 only got 1.8:1 .....

Still running 2.0.4 here.

I never upgraded to newer versions because of 1) The UI changes, and 2) The extra bloat. I consider 3.0 by far the worst version of uTorrent ever released.

The only thing that will get me to upgrade is a client with 2.0.4's UI and no added useless features like 3.0 is well known for.

Let me know which one, and everything you like/liked about it.

Which One: I'm using 2.0.1 (build 19248) on a PC that is running Win XP x64 SP2.

What I Like About It: In a nutshell, everything. It performs the basic function I need for my BT client to do - the only function I need it to do - which is to upload and download...which it does without wasting system resources on other functionality that I neither want nor need in my BT client. It runs 24/7/365 with a relatively small footprint, doesn't crash (at times I've gone as long as four months without rebooting this machine), and - at least with the router and ISP currently in use here - doesn't make me jump through endless hoops to get ports to stay open so I can seed. The newer versions haven't improved anything I care about and haven't added anything that is even remotely useful to me, so I have not and will not bother switching to them.

Sorry, but... I still cannot see the "better Magnet handling". It's painfully slow to get a second Magnet if at least one other torrent is active. Only once on the first 3.3.1 beta became faster for a while, but when I went back to 3.3 stable, now even the first magnet renders slowly.

Guys, between us, I really believe Bitorrent Inc needs some new blood in the team... The current devs are always leaving the first "stable" versions in a truly poor condition... They need 5-6 more same-numbered updates just to work better, and a few more in order to be somewhat ironed.

When was the last time you got a "stable" version that kept fully working for at least some months? Don't they need to change some devs?

In short, my humble opinion is, Bitorrent Inc is paying incompetend devs who simply cannot work on such a project. This is one of major roots of problems.

I've been using 1.8.3 for years (required by a private torrent site).

Love it: quick, simple, stable and familiar. But it didn't work for magnet links so I thought I'd install the latest version on another PC for magnets.

>>> Its the BLOAT <<<

I don't know whats going on behind the scenes - but of all the new features I can see the only one that is an improvement for me Is being able to have a torrent in multiple labels.

All the rest is bloat that detracts from utorrent's original mission - to be a fast light torrent client.

Streaming, uTorrent Plus, Featured Content, Featured Torrent, Apps, New Apps, Web Search, Devices, Fancy speed graph, etc all just get in the way of managing my torrents and connection

And some of the new features seem to be broken. I can't move torrents to folders based on label, which has screwed up my filing system. The devices node thinks I have 3 Galaxy Tabs when I have only one Galaxy Ace... etc.

I echo other commenters - a Lite version, or easy option to disable all the extras would be much appreciated!

Now that you have started with uTorrent Plus and what not' date=' and are constantly developing a 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 branch all at once.. Why not simply add a uTorrent Lite, stripping all the nonsense many of us doesn't really care about (anti-virus, streaming, transcoding / converting and all other things not directly related to actually downloading and uploading using the torrent protocol..)

[/quote']

Soon.

there's no need for "uTorrent Lite". just move the non-essential stuff to uTorrent Plus and make a win-win out of it.

In short, my humble opinion is, Bitorrent Inc is paying incompetend devs who simply cannot work on such a project. This is one of major roots of problems.

Well, it doesn't necessarily mean they're incompetent, it might just be they don't test the new builds so much or just don't care about fixing the bugs they've left after their changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived