Do you use a 2.x or older version of uT?

naiduv

As far as I know, i can only import a folder of torrents, and since it doesn't read resume.dat it has no idea where the actual files are located.

You simply point QB to where the existing payload data is already located then move or copy the existing metadata files into the appropriate folder.

• 2 weeks later...

i like using the latest stuff so i don't use 2.x. but i remember that it was lighter on resources and it was doing better job than 3.x. now my pc is like 2x better but utorrent works like 10x worse. biggest problem is hard disk overloading. i was able to use heavy games and still downloading and uploading as intended. now its a mess. i cant run utorrent allone

I registered an account specifically to respond to this thread.

I applaud you trying to make a difference, and actually caring enough to type this out.

Versions of uTorrent since 3.0 have essentially been a wash. Why?

Because the programmer/s has poor coding skill and there's obviously a lack of desire to take significant steps to improve the client. Basically, money.

They're not addressing concerns in any sort of timely manner, could be time to jump ship matey, yarr.

So, in other words, damn those tracker admins for noticing uTorrent 3.x often directly harms swarms, DAMN THEM TO HELL, I wanna use any client I like (say, BitComent? LOL)!

Yes! That exactly. Users should decide for themselves how they want to participate in swarms, neither their PCs nor their connections are owned by a tracker. And they are not exchanging payload with it but with each others. The tracker only offers a platform for them to meet. Besides most cheaters use modified versions of Azureus/Vuze anyways, so the lists are simply ineffective. It's like people who play by the rules and buy DVDs/Blu-Rays have to sit through the anti-piracy warnings while those who pirate can just enjoy the movie.

(about BitComet: http://www.zeropaid.com/news/8945/study_examining_the_myths_and_facts_concerning_bitcomet_behavior/)

You've been given the reasons multiple times, and furthermore, can find those very same reasons all over the forums here. Denial will not avail you. Nor will crying about BakaBT policies on another forum be particularly effective.

What are you talking about? µtorrent 3.0 and other versions of that branch are whitelisted on the tracker you mentioned. So even those admins obviously disagree with you. I never complained (or "cried" as you put it) about any tracker on here nor do I have interest in that, such discussions have no place on this forum. You should stop getting threads closed by taking discussions off-topic and doing personal attacks. And don't try to hinder me or anyone else from making feature requests for a software that's not your own, the devs are old enough to decide for themselves which requests they deem useful enough to implement and which are not.

No, users should NOT be allowed to use any client they like, if that client is going to be harmful, if the owner(s) of a specific tracker desire otherwise; why should YOUR "rights" trump theirs? As a completely obvious example, no one should be allowed to use clients that fake uploads, or that simply don't upload at all, on trackers which don't want that type of behavior.

Clients that fake uploads also fake their IDs. You are not blocking them out because you simply can't do it.

Advocating otherwise exposes your motives for all to see, as those behaviors directly harm the swarm itself AND other users.

My motives are not and never were hidden. If I wanted to cheat I'd simply use a hacked client, end of story. Introducing fake PeerIDs to µtorrent would not make it harmful to swarms.

Yes, it's possible to use hacked versions of allowed clients, but there simply is no reason to make it easy to be an ass

You don't have to make it easy - it already is easy.

furthermore, those users are also continually weeded out and banned via their obviously hacked stats.

So there is no need for blacklisting as there are far more effective means to do it.

As for why most (but not all) versions since 3.0 have been whitelisted on BakaBT, it was simply decided that enough people used them, and that the negatives weren't (yet) overwhelming, so they might as well go ahead to avoid the sniveling and tantrums. And that's only barely true; 3.x is barely on the whitelist.

You brought that tracker up, not me. And µtorrent 3.0 is allowed there. Your notion of "barely" does not change that. Anyways, I'm not here to discuss any specific trackers, it is simply not the right place for that. I answered a post in this thread and mentioned I would welcome a fake PeerID feature.

You obviously carry enough anger over the subject to bring it here, to the official uTorrent forums;I'll point out your own post as evidence of this.

Again: I never brought any specific trackers up, only answered yetisyny's post where he complained about trackers to which I answered that it's almost completely out of the µtorrent team's scope except for a hypothetical fake PeerID feature. And this forum is definitely the correct forum to bring up µtorrent feature requests - where else would people do that? The question is: why do you feel this is the right place to defend your favorite tracker's policies? Why are *you* trying to bring that discussion over to a forum where it doesn't belong? And why do you feel the need to attack me for making a feature request or simply answering questions?

But guess what? Your stance will be no more effective here, than there. Don't believe me? Try reading this very thread, exactly what you failed to do elsewhere.

Why do you care? I ask for features I want and will continue to do so. This forum is about the program µtorrent, not about your preferred trackers.

The long and short of it is that uTorrent currently is heading down the wrong route, and NOT just in my opinion. Until you can argue why these design choices are superior (or even equivalent) to pre-3.0 versions, perhaps you should reflect on this, instead of insisting on rights that you don't actually have.

So memory leaks, disk overloads and bad seeding/leeching performance (no problem I personally ever noticed using µtorrent 3.x, btw.) are design choices?

If you don't agree, how about actual counterpoints on what I think is wrong with 3.x? I even have them in convenient list form.

Your problems with 3.x have nothing to do with my feature request. I don't hinder anyone from making bug reports or otherwise state what they think is wrong with µtorrent 3.x. This forum is exactly the right place for that and in fact I have even made a post myself in this very thread about something that changed in 3.x that was better in <3.x in my opinion. Just don't address your posts to me if you report problems, I'm not a developer of µtorrent.

Rage on. =) .

Yeah, let off steam... This is what this thread is all about... :P

So memory leaks, ... and bad seeding/leeching performance (no problem I personally ever noticed using µtorrent 3.x, btw.)

Me neither.

disk overloads

True. I hope 3.4 will fix this bogus overload display/throttling, since I've located the exact build it was introduced in....

And you also argue against every rule and limit in place

I argued against exactly one rule.

both from the BitTorrent protocol

The BitTorrent protocol does not provide anything in terms of black or white lists. In fact the peer_id element wasn't even designed to provide the client software's name or version. It is a unique id to identify one single client, i.e. a random string. People thought it would be a good idea for debugging to put the software's name and version into the front of that string but the spec does not dictate that - clients could switch to totally random or even fake ids tomorrow and would in no way violate the specs in this regard. Why do you think pretty much no BitTorrent client (even the "official" one) blocks out any "harmful clients" by peer_id? It's just some isolated trackers that do that, it doesn't have anything to do with the protocol or the idea behind BitTorrent.

And I'm not going to bother to copypasta the quote from BakaBT where you said you SHOULD be able to do whatever you want with your client, including not upload. I'm sure you remember posting it, so there's no point, beyond embarrassing you. Would you like to continue to claim I am "making things up"..? I'd advise against it.

After your attacks you wouldn't want to embarrass me? It's rather I never requested it. Not on this forum and it remains your secret why I would want to put µtorrent feature requests anywhere else but here. How are some tracker's admins gonna get me a µtorrent change implemented? I did say it's my beer how I want to use my system however I want to but that does in no way imply I want to leech. That's like saying I want the right to own an assault rifle because I plan on killing people. One does not imply the other. (Only that fake peer_ids do not enable anyone to leech without seeding - these two don't even have anything in common.)

It's not urban legend or myth that newer versions of uTorrent have serious issues

Again: why are you telling me? I know people have problems with them but I didn't ever encounter nor am I interested in your opinion about them. They work fine for me and I don't need your approval or convince you about it. Make bug reports at the appropriate places but leave me alone. I don't have access to the source code so I cannot fix them. In case you are happy with older µtorrent versions I'm not forcing you to switch to 3.x.

including some that directly harm the performance of swarms; not connecting to peers and not seeding well DOES harm swarm performance (hell, those are two of the main markers of swarm performance). Torrents - especially on private or semi-private sites - are maintained for the benefit of more people than just you; if you can't, or won't, follow the rules, fine, but don't get bent out of shape when your peers disapprove, up to and including removing you from the benefit of joining the swarm.

Again: not gonna discuss policies of specific trackers on here.

You might also want to lose the foul mouth. Whether or not it's against forum rules here (I have no idea), it doesn't impress anyone but yourself. At best, it merely presents you as a callow youth.

You registered here on 11-24 and your very first post was personally attacking me, saying I was "crying" and mocking me.

Actually, I registered a long time ago, and didn't post long enough that I was scrubbed. It happens *shrug*.

But you did go out of your way to register again and you directly attacked me. (I didn't post between 2008 and 2012 and wasn't deleted, btw.)

You care enough about your point of view, that you not only refused (and still refuse) to acknowledge any other points of view, you argue directly against them.

Yes, of course I argue against many points you make(why wouldn't I?), I have actually been pretty meticulous about answering any point being brought up. The only thing I get as answers are personal attacks. I do and did acknowledge that people have problems with 3.x but as I have said above: why should I care if I'm not affected by those problems? Even more: why should you care what client I am using? Stop trying to convince me that 3.x is bad, convince the developers.

Furthermore, you're quite simply an ass about it. Deal with the reaction.

I see, first you insult me, then you get some of your own back and then you call me an ass.

I'm not going to bother to try the Wall-O-Text

You never do. Yet you say I never see any other point of view.

ok back on topic....

i'm using 2.2 24683, only have a minor bug, icon dones't always show up in tray.

2.2.1 here finds too many often an error with a file in the torrent i'm downloading which cause that torrent to be stopped.

from what i've read in that topic, so now you cant even change the name of the torrent folder when inserting it!! just because of that i will never ever use recent version.

also i now understand why so many peers with 3.2/3.3 version aren't sending data, it's because those users are dumb cunts who cant set their setting properly... it's true that making releases with default setting that make the program not really working (do you guys remember how torrent work??) is for sure utterly brillant.

i have to admit i was naive enough to believe it was done on purpose, in order to 'force' people to use newer version but no, its worse than that :lol:

from what i've read in that topic, so now you cant even change the name of the torrent folder when inserting it!! just because of that i will never ever use recent version.

You mean the name of the folder a new torrent gets stored in? You can still set it.

from what i've read in that topic' date=' so now you cant even change the name of the torrent folder when inserting it!! just because of that i will never ever use recent version.[/quote']

You mean the name of the folder a new torrent gets stored in? You can still set it.

i mean the name of the folder i'm going to download. this is what i've understand from reading the post, not my actual experience since i've never tried any 3.x version (it was way too buggy at the beginning + the addition of unneeded features.)

still i'm wondering, what is the need for an antivirus when we all know this app is made for downloading legal content like the last ubuntu iso.

ok i gave latest stable built a try yesterday.

the thing looks a little bit strange coming from 2.2, (like the icon on the left) but thats certainly because of the lack of habit of it.

i miss also the compactness for each torrent line.

one thing i like is the separate line for the actual torrent name, thats is certainly handy when you change the torrent name but realise after doing so that you are in the wrong folder so you set it right and have to redo the renaming cause you've forget to ctrl+c the new name you gave.

the media player have nothing to do here, since you only need to double click any file to have it played.

but what made me turned back to 2.2 is the fact that after only 30min / 1h of use, the memory used was nearly the double of what 2.2 uses after running 14h!

the memory used was nearly the double of what 2.2 uses after running 14h!

Was it more then 40M larger than the size of the RAM cache you've defined?

you're speaking in chinese for me here... is that a setting in utorrent??? cuz i don't see it nor did i change anything compared to my other version other than what you wrote in your guide' date=' nor do i have set some RAM cache for utorrent.

with utorrent 2.2 i'm around 70Mb of ram usage, with latest i was at 120Mb and keeping growing when i closed it

i miss also the compactness for each torrent line.

Just switch the display mode

no no, i wasn't using that new display mode (the one that looks like you browser download manager) but the usual looks. the line are just slightly bigger

the line are just slightly bigger

Well, I like it big... It is smaller again in 3.4, tho.

s that a setting in utorrent???

Yes. Pref.->advanced->disk cache. Default is 128M in both, so it can reach ~170M when active/full.

Check if by any chance your exe file is not defined to run in some compatibility mode ...

i reinstalled 3.3.2 just to be sure.

yep disk cache setting is default (but it's not 128M with 2.2, should be 32M if my memorys correct)

exe is not set to run in some compatibility mode (and i'm running on seven 32bit)

right now i'm uploading data so mem usage is at max ->174M, doesn't move from that

i got around 10Mb upload so i tried your setting for utp (removing bandwidth manager+ setting a download limit) got good upload speed at first but quickly it seems to vary around 500ko/s.

not using utp isn't excluding me from getting connected to some peers using it?

hehe not much activity now and mem usage has drop to 82M :)

not using utp isn't excluding me from getting connected to some peers using it?

Actually it will exclude you from getting some peers.

Shure? Which ones? µtorrent simply jumps back to non-uTP if the others client don't support utp. Also I can't see any option in the settings to force uTP.

BUT, when µtorrent introduced uTP with Version 1.8 it gave higher upload and download rates to other uTP-Users. So not using uTP would have slow down you donwloads. I don't know it its still the case with newer versions.

Archived