µTorrent 3.2.2 beta

DaveUT

That's the way it is with coding software.

It doesn't have to be this bad though.

Same with "bugs" and "bug fixes". A real "bug" is something that happens given a certain set of circumstances that the developer had not considered could happen. And if "beta" releases were "better" they would NOT be a beta, they would be a "release candidate" or "stable" versions.

Well here's something to think about, why are there so many betas for these simple bug fix builds? It's almost like they're unsure they can even fix their own bugs, doesn't that make you think about the coding quality? I really think so many betas is overdoing it, it's just one giant beta test version, without a doubt it shows a lack of testing.

Now I don't mind if people want to constantly test these patches and report simple issues found within minutes of testing (I mean.. it's your time)..but at what point do you say I'm tired of finding basic issues in "beta" software. I don't know of any other software that has such a poor development process. Can you name one that does things in a similar fashion? I follow quite a few and I can't name one, look at all the fixes over the last few versions.

For such a reasonably sized company (you all know the dollar value here) the builds contain very few fixes and generally break something in the process. I also question how many coders are working on this, I see larger and more frequent commits by one man teams that have day jobs, color me unimpressed.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any plans to fix automatic updates?

When accepting an update I get a windows saying "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018). Click OK to close the application."

The title of the windows says "utt8CCE.tmp.exe - Application Error"

Then uT freezes and I have to kill it using Task Manager.

Focus of 3.2.2:

-- 2012-10-05: Version 3.2.2 Beta 1 (build 28110)

Hi Everyone,

Here are the issues we are moving to later versions of utorrent.

I need to speak with the other developers to see which fixes will go in which versions.

A lot of these are from Rafi's list:

ADD TORRENT DIALOG ISSUES

-- Change Add Torrent dialog layout to be more like Virtual_ManPL's suggestion http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=684522#p684522

-- Expand the edit-lines,

-- be able to *not* use a sub-folder,

-- select if to use the "name" as a sub-folder or not etc.

MAGNET LINK ISSUES

-- "File not found during integrity check" messages

-- Add torrent Stopped / Started should apply to magnets

---b Added magnets are deleting existing files instead of re-checking them [#149]

---e "Copy Magnet URI" does not include the full trackers list in it

---a Auto-downloading tracker-less magnets from RSS will not auto-enable DHT, and will never download [#114]

---c Metadata retrieval time is long - ~2 min for new torrents (minimal seeds, but with uDP trackers) [#145]

---d Not able to skip files when added-stopped [#146]

Ability to skip 2nd AV dialog http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=683830#p683830

-- Win 8 problem reported by yukycg http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=681418#p681418

-2 Crash when running "setup-guide"->speed-test twice (Win 7) [* 96])

Layout problem with "add new torrent" dialog [beasly]

-5 Still issues with running utorrent.exe (w/o a local copy of settings.dat) from a path that is not on drive c: - utorrent activates the installer dialogs even if the settings files are already installed (located) in %appdata%\utorrent [* 136]

-8 No tooltips in the main view (for partially showing items, like in 2.2.1). It has gone missing . Long torrent/file names are requiring constant rearranging the columns' width!

-9 Change: Randomized Peer ID might not suit some private sites. An option is needed to enable/disable it

-10 The RSS downloader feature sucks.

It's almost a month after Beta1, and after re-testing the above issues/promised fixes, I'm disappointed... No fix for most of those issues yet :(

only this one

- Fix: existing files would not be re-checked when adding a resolved magnet link in add torrent dialog

That fixes:

---b Added magnets are deleting existing files instead of re-checking them [#149]

And here is a new one:

11. selected torrents in the "Add Torrent" dialogue are being ignored

I'm still hoping for more... :)

Just a heads up on 3.2.2.nnnnn on Windows 7

I've noticed on the past two or three automatic updates, the service is not shutting down "cleanly", so when it restarts, any downloads that were active drop into a invalid state and require rechecking, if there are more than a handful, Windows then throws up a WER message of "... is not responding" with the usual close or wait options.

We're talking about bug fix changes in a beta bug fix build (3.2.2) of a bug fix build (3.2) built upon 3 previous bug fix builds (3.1.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3) not an entire client.

I couldn't agree more.

What in the world is the team smoking? They should really cut it out. I read the announcement where you said you'd stop adding features, I see you're now focused on adding bugs. New bugs with each new release, wohoo!

I seriously wanted to donate money when I read about focusing on stability. I will SURELY not donate anything now. Keep up the good work.

Before someone jumps on me for not coding a torrent client. Well, if utorrent would have been open source, I would complain less and actually fix stuff. But I can't. Things like utorrent downloading files explicitly deselected should be an easy fix. Not even sure how it's broken-able.

tldr, I don't know what the greater vision of the project is, but from my point of view it's not the right one and I won't help utorrent or follow new releases.

That's the way it is with coding software.

It doesn't have to be this bad though.

Same with "bugs" and "bug fixes". A real "bug" is something that happens given a certain set of circumstances that the developer had not considered could happen. And if "beta" releases were "better" they would NOT be a beta' date=' they would be a "release candidate" or "stable" versions.[/quote']

Well here's something to think about, why are there so many betas for these simple bug fix builds? It's almost like they're unsure they can even fix their own bugs, doesn't that make you think about the coding quality? I really think so many betas is overdoing it, it's just one giant beta test version, without a doubt it shows a lack of testing.

I have to assume that you are not a developer and or are unaware of how collaberative software versioning systems and compilers operate. The build number is usually incremented each time the source code is compiled into an executable file(s), this enables a developer team to keep track of code changes and this number never "rolls back" if the changes that were made did not fix the problem and of course with several developers on a single project there may be several compilations done with each one representing a different part part or module of the codebase that was worked on by a team member, and the development team members may not even be on the same continent never mind in the same office or building.
Now I don't mind if people want to constantly test these patches and report simple issues found within minutes of testing (I mean.. it's your time)..but at what point do you say I'm tired of finding basic issues in "beta" software.
That is why it IS "beta" and believe you me, uTorrent has less bugs in their beta versions, than some others I have beta tested for over the years.
I don't know of any other software that has such a poor development process. Can you name one that does things in a similar fashion? I follow quite a few and I can't name one, look at all the fixes over the last few versions.

You should try being MS registered and beta testing Windows versions (I don't do that anymore) and despite all the beta testing, bug reports and builds that "Longhorn" had, it STILL made it out of the door as Windows Vista! And then people had to PAY for the privilige of what amounted to large scale RC testing.

I have for the first time, encountered problems with uTorrent (3.2.2 RC1). There are only 2, but I feel they for sure need addressed. The first one is on certain private tracker torrents, I get an error message saying "Failure: access denied, banned client". I'm not banned from the private tracker, as when I revert back to 3.2.1 the message disappears and it says "working" instead. All the other torrents work fine under 3.2.2 RC1, just not the private tracker torrents.

The second problem is, when I have 3.2.1 open (and all previous versions), my PC will NOT go to sleep. This is good, as I don't want my downloads stopped. But, with 3.2.2 (RC1), my computer goes to sleep even when uTorrent is open, resulting in my downloads (and whole computer) stopping and taking a rest. Usually, if a program is demanding something from the CPU, the machine won't go to sleep. It only goes to sleep when the machine is idle and not doing anything.

This is the first time I've encountered any bugs with uTorrent and they are pretty serious ones at that. Could you please address them before you consider 3.2.2 "stable". These bugs also exist in the 3.3 alpha.

EDIT:

Also, as I was trying to post this message (with 3.2.2 RC1 running), my internet dropped. I even tried to go to google and it was unresponsive. I checked uTorrent and I was still downloading, so my internet bandwidth was still working. I then closed uTorrent 3.2.2 RC1 and my internet started working again. Please fix these problems. Thank you.

EDIT 2:

This also reminds me of a little bug that I should mention. When uploading, my ratio will increase dramatically, like go from 0.500 to 67.400. It then, will gradually decrease back to the actual ratio amount backwards. Very strange.

I have for the first time, encountered problems with uTorrent (3.2.2 RC1). There are only 2, but I feel they for sure need addressed. The first one is on certain private tracker torrents, I get an error message saying "Failure: access denied, banned client". I'm not banned from the private tracker, as when I revert back to 3.2.1 the message disappears and it says "working" instead. All the other torrents work fine under 3.2.2 RC1, just not the private tracker torrents.
That's because the trackers haven't updated their "whitelist"
This also reminds me of a little bug that I should mention. When uploading, my ratio will increase dramatically, like go from 0.500 to 67.400. It then, will gradually decrease back to the actual ratio amount backwards. Very strange
Not really, the BitTorrent will try to get the 'rarer' (least available) pieces first, so your client is downloading and seeding these rare pieces to other peers, so until you have 20 or 30% you could be uploading at least as much as you are downloading. Maybe more, depending on what upload slots are free in the rest of the swarm.
I checked uTorrent and I was still downloading, so my internet bandwidth was still working. I then closed uTorrent 3.2.2 RC1 and my internet started working again.
Putting these ast two points together, it is possibly your queue and bandwidth settings that are configured badly, which is allowing uTorrent to "run away" with your connection.

If this were true, then no matter what version of uTorrent I would use, I would still be banned. Obviously they have updated the "whitelist" or else I would be banned no matter what uTorrent version I used. This only happends with 3.2.2 (RC1) AND 3.3 alpha. After I downgrade to 3.2.1, its fixed and it says working as it should be.

I have a feeling it has something to do with this:

-9 Change: Randomized Peer ID might not suit some private sites. An option is needed to enable/disable it

Not really, the BitTorrent will try to get the 'rarer' (least available) pieces first, so your client is downloading and seeding these rare pieces to other peers, so until you have 20 or 30% you could be uploading at least as much as you are downloading. Maybe more, depending on what upload slots are free in the rest of the swarm.

The download is completely finished. So this theory is completely wrong. I have all the pieces. Its just when someone starts uploading the torrent from me, my ratio increases dramatically. As we speak, one of my torrents has a ratio of 74.292. Its a 12.5 GB torrent, and I've only uploaded 600MB so far, but my ratio is 74.292. Something else is going on here.

Putting these ast two points together, it is possibly your queue and bandwidth settings that are configured badly, which is allowing uTorrent to "run away" with your connection.

If this were true, then I would have connection dropouts no matter what uTorrent version I used. I browse the web and use uTorrent all the time. All of a sudden, when I upgraded to 3.2.2 RC1, my internet drops out and I can't browse the web until I close 3.2.2 RC1. Coincidence? I don't think so. This has only happened when using 3.2.2.

If this were true' date=' then no matter what version of uTorrent I would use, I would still be banned. Obviously they have updated the "whitelist" or else I would be banned no matter what uTorrent version I used. This only happends with 3.2.2 (RC1) AND 3.3 alpha. After I downgrade to 3.2.1, its fixed and it says working as it should be.

I have a feeling it has something to do with this:

[/quote']

nope, your tracker hasn't updated the whitelist to allow 3.2.2.

and that option doesn't apply to private torrents anyway.

nope, your tracker hasn't updated the whitelist to allow 3.2.2.

and that option doesn't apply to private torrents anyway.

I have used numerous betas with this private tracker, and I have never once seen this banned client message. I couldn't imagine that they would allow all the previous betas I've used and then for some reason stop at 3.2.2. Are you sure this is the case?

I do have one question Firon, and you are the person I was looking for to answer this. Alot of private trackers recommend you use 2.2.1 version of uTorrent. Would there be any security risks with using an old version of uTorrent?

I have used numerous betas with this private tracker, and I have never once seen this banned client message. I couldn't imagine that they would allow all the previous betas I've used and then for some reason stop at 3.2.2. Are you sure this is the case?
It really depend on how they are checking the version numbers, and what parts are being used.

if up to 3.2.1 is listed then 3.2.2 will not match so is a "banned client".

Why not just ask them?

I did ask them about this before, and they asked if I used uTorrent 3.xx. I said yes, and then they said uTorrent 3.xx has numerous problems and that this was the cause. So I waited to see if 3.2.2 would fix the problem, so when I saw RC1, I figured this problem was fixed. I guess not.

They said nothing about banning clients that use 3.xx, and if they did indeed do this, why would 3.2.2 be the one that gets blacklisted and not any other uTorrent 3 version? This is the first time I've encountered this problem and have been using uTorrent 3.xx with this tracker with no problem until 3.2.2 was released. Why would they blacklist 3.2.2 and let all the other 3.xx versions slide? It makes no sense. I think there's something else going on here.

They didn't say they blacklist any particular clients, they just recommend that you use 2.2.1. Speaking of which, would using 2.2.1 be risky security wise?

Did you try canceling the dynamic peer ID thing? Pref->advanced->randomize_peer_id = false .

Sadly, setting bt.randomize_peer_id to false had no effect. It still said "banned client". I can't imagine what could be causing this. If the tracker banned 3.xx clients, why would they only ban 3.2.2? I've used 3.xx, along with all the beta builds all the way up to 3.2.1 with no problem on this tracker, so it sounds strange that they would all of a sudden ban uTorrent 3.2.2.

I really hope you can pin point what is causing this. I know alot of people dis uTorrent 3.xx, but I have personally had no problem with it until now. All my other torrents work fine with 3.2.2 except the private tracker torrents. I have hope you can seek out the problem rafi. You're the man.

EDIT:

I've come to the conclusion that this is a problem with the private tracker and not uTorrent itself. I guess they just got lazy and decided not to whitelist 3.2.2. But, there is still this serious bug with 3.2.2. When I was using 3.2.2, my computer went to sleep even with it open. This has never happened before. Anytime I have uTorrent open, my computer will refuse to got to sleep, but with 3.2.2 RC1, it went to sleep even though 3.2.2 RC1 was being used. So I figured I would bring this to your attention since this is a serious bug. I have my computer set to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity, but when I have uTorrent open, it doesn't go to sleep (which is a good thing). This has changed since 3.2.2 RC1, I hope you can pin point the problem.

Just run a "side by side" test on uTorrent 3.2.2.28407 and BitTorrent 7.7.27987.

Loaded the same torrent file then started them, obviously a few seconds apart to switch GUI focus.

The same dead trackers have been pruned from both clients, DHT and PeX are enabled and working

After 32m uTorrent is showing availabilty of 0.000 while Bt has availability 8.474 and is 51% complete of 291 MB.

The swarm counts are identical, but there is no sense or reason for the disparity in connections, queue and bandwidth settings are the same for the purposes of the test and all other jobs are stopped.

bt shows:

Seeds: 7 of 25 connected (10 in swarm)

Peers: 1 of 15 connected (4 in swarm)

uT shows:

Seeds: 0 of 1 connected (10 in swarm)

Peers: 0 of 34 connected (4 in swarm)

I'll run the same test with the same torrent some more times during the day (yeah I know! insanity is doing the same thing and expecting something different to happen) and screenshot the results, but the preliminary finding is pointing towards a problem with the uTorrent client and protocol handling.

rtorrent reports "client : Unknown (%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00%00) "

Archived