Using Proxy BTGuard and uTorrent requires restarting

mesteele101

I have an RSS feed that automatically adds to uTorrent. I also have uTorrent connecting through the BTGuard proxy service.

The RSS feed is adding to uTorrent but it just sets there. I actually have to restart uTorrent in order for the transfers to begin. It does finish all the torrents that are in the que. Once after it finishes those files and setting there, it does add files from the RRS feed but they just set there until I again, restart uTorrent.

I'm thinking that the proxy service has cut the connection , and the only way to reconnect is to power cycle uTorrent, and I'm thinking if this is the case; couldn't uTorrent just reset the connection somehow?

Does anyone have a automated solution to this problem so I don't have to keep restarting uTorrent every time I need to transfer the waiting que?

TIA...

I'm on the stable version right now. However, this is been happening on the last several releases. I've always had to d;o this with BTGuard. Everything works fine as long as I don't use the proxy.

One thing I did notice tonight was that after I performed a network test with a speed test through utorrent, the torrents in the que started without a restart of torrent.

I'm on the stable version right now
Yes, but which "stable version"?
I've always had to d;o this with BTGuard. Everything works fine as long as I don't use the proxy.
So nothing at all to do with the uTorrent client, but a problem with BTGuard.
One thing I did notice tonight was that after I performed a network test with a speed test through utorrent, the torrents in the que started without a restart of torrent.
and has this continued to 'work'?

Right now I'm on 3.3 (28120) and it's doing it. It has been doing this from day one that I started using a proxy.

Not sure where the problem originates. It appears that once the connection between the proxy and uTorrent gets broken, uTorrent can't connect back to the proxy until uTorrent is restarted. It's possible BTGuard is dropping the connection after a timeout period?

There were two torrents in the queue and they were just stalled. In the bottom right corner of uTorrent there is a red circle with an exclamation mark in it. If I click on that, it brings up a window that allows the network to be tested. I went ahead and 'run tests', and without restarting uTorrent, the two files in the queue started the transfer.

It reverts back after the above transfers, at some point, not real sure when.

It seems to me that uTorrent could check the connection prior to starting the transfer, and reconnect?

uTorrent can't connect back to the proxy until uTorrent is restarted.
Not quite right. It cannot connect to anything BEYOND the proxy, and nothing beyond the proxy can connect to your client.

Basically as you surmise the proxy is probably closing the connection, but whatever is happen, the problem is with BT Guard NOT the uTorrent client.

I think it might be a µtorrent problem afterall.

I have the same Problem, but i use a proxy i set up myself (dante proxy server) as socks 5 proxy.

I run µtorrent 3.2 build 27886 32-bit.

At first i can add torrents and they start downloading. After an uncertain amount of time newly added torrents show "connection timed out" for all trackers, while old ones keep downloading/uploading. So the proxy obviously works for the old ones.

In the scenario as you describe is correct. Say you start uTorrent and there are two large file that take some time to transfer, and after a period of time another torrent is added, that torrent will fail to connect.

The thing is; uTorrent should be initiating each connection as they are added and not relying on the first initial connection to keep the stream going.

If the scheduler is set to start at midnight, the RSS feeds have added torrents, when the scheduler starts at midnight, the torrents fail to start.

I'm guessing when the scheduler starts uTorrent will need to initiate a new connection if there are torrents waiting.

But it is NOT a problem with the uTorrent client, it is a problem with using a proxy server. Especially ones that will rotate their outgoing ip from time to time.

This is why the Tor network is not good for running Bittorrent clients over, as the connections are continually dropping.

I know you don't want this to be a problem with uTorrent, but in the end it is.

uTorrent is limited if your using a proxy.

If a uTorrent user is using the scheduler, or uTorrent has been idle for any period of time, it's almost a given that uTorrent will need to be restarted because the proxy connection has timed out , the connection lost, and uTorrent has no way to reconnecting, other then restarting.

This is not happening because IP's are being rotated. The failure of uTorrent to reconnect when using a proxy should be looked at way before looking at rotating IP's.

If I loose my connection to an FTP server site, my FTP client keeps trying to reconnect to the FTP server until the site comes back or I stop the FTP client. I know it's not the same, but it's an example.

See this response to the issue from BTGuard support:

http://forum.vuze.com/message.jspa?messageID=267678#267678

Essentially, BTGuard have been doing upgrades and messing with their proxies, such that DNS details aren't being updated. I've just followed the instructions to switch to using Google DNS servers rather than automatic for this network connection and things seem to be working between uTorrent and BTGuard.

I didn't try any of the other suggestions in the thread to alter my hosts file.

Essentially, BTGuard have been doing upgrades and messing with their proxies, such that DNS details aren't being updated.

That might be the problem for some people, but it does not explain why i have the issues with my own local proxy i access via IP.

Further, i have been using a different torrent client with my proxy for a week and it doesn't have any connection problems. µtorrent died pretty much daily.

See this response to the issue from BTGuard support:

http://forum.vuze.com/message.jspa?messageID=267678#267678

Essentially, BTGuard have been doing upgrades and messing with their proxies, such that DNS details aren't being updated. I've just followed the instructions to switch to using Google DNS servers rather than automatic for this network connection and things seem to be working between uTorrent and BTGuard.

I didn't try any of the other suggestions in the thread to alter my hosts file.

I've been using the Google DNS servers for a long time, exclusively. This isn't the problem. The problem is; once the connection is made by uTorrent it never checks to see if the connection is still connected.

If a proxy is being used in uTorrent, then everything must be handled manually. You can't use the scheduler, and uTorrent has to be restarted on the initiation of each torrent.

There are a number of way this could be handled, but not sure which is the best. They all require uTorrent to make a reconnection at the start of each torrent, and scheduled start.

I like uTorrent, but if anyone has an alternative that has an RSS feed, and scheduler that works while using a Proxy I'd be willing to drop uTorrent.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem using BTGuard and TorGuard.(uTorrent 3.2.3 build 28705). After 20-30 minutes all the trackers time out and newly added torrents won't start. Restarting uTorrent helps. But also going into options -> preferences, change something, change it right back to what is was and click Ok works (but then you have to manually update all the trackers).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
After 20-30 minutes all the trackers time out and newly added torrents won't start. Restarting uTorrent helps. But also going into options -> preferences, change something, change it right back to what is was and click Ok works (but then you have to manually update all the trackers).

I'm having the same problem with another proxy proivder and utorrent 3.2.3.

This small trick of going into options and changing nothing and then manually updating the trackers works! Clearly, since this little tricks solves the connection problem... then the root of the problem is within utorrent.

Is there any way someone can write a script that will do something like this to fix this temporarily?

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same exact problem with utorrent and PirateRay, and one solution that worked for me was turning the Socks5 proxy for a second till the new torrent loads up it's metadata and starts downloading and then put the proxy back on, but I wonder if that would jeopardise my privacy??

Archived