Graphical Completion Progress Bar in Main Torrent View

d70

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I shouldn't take your sarcastic post seriously, but just to clear out any misunderstandings: I'm definitely not arguing to have a progressbar implemented. I find it totally useless. My earlier post is to be taken as sarcasm as well.

Edit. Ooh... The sarcastic post which I'm responding to was deleted :/

Ok, you have a side, we have a side. But life goes on, cheers :)

The funny thing is using an ASCII progressbar is not such a bad idea afterall - using characters like some nfo files have:

████░░░░░░ -> 40%.

See? (Hope it is visible in the forum, too.) Using it with colors could give us some visuals, but won't eat any cpu. (With Unicode you could make even prettier ones :)) A trade-off? :)

assuming most of your torrents are over 10 megs, and you arent on a 16mbps connection.. the progress bar; if split up into 10 boxes made of text; wouldnt change nearly as fast as all the other information that is displayed in uTorrent. i like it :D

• 3 weeks later...

Its just a simple progress bar... Its not going to eat any CPU...

bittorrent is for people that use modern machines and an ADSL or cable line... So assuming this, a progress bar would add a 0.1% cpu load everytime it refreshes (and that could be from 1 sec to one minute+) on a modern machine (and I would state the example of my backup pc which is a 1GHz PIII)... If you think that its going to burn your machine, then ask the developer to remove the useless availability bar to even the impact..

Some people voted for the RSS reader but I didn't see anyone complain about the extra CPU that this could add (and is not a feature for a light bittorrent client)... and now people are complaining for the optional progress bar and the minimal CPU load that would add

http://www.niteshdw.com/utorrent/index.php?a=browse&s=4

Simple download bar for each torrent

Add small download bars for each torrent. With many active torrents, it's much easier to check your downloads with a quick glance on the download bars than with reading all the % numbers.

Yes

No

Nov 27, 2005

Bad Feature

yeah.... this is what we call democracy (ofcourse if ludde is not willing to add this, then is his program and he can do whatever he likes but I assume that this decision was not taken by ludde)

Well the fact is that it would have to redraw every time the window is refreshed/redrawn. You don't get to pick and choose. What you're proposing is that the progressbar shouldn't be updated until a piece is completed, but that doesn't stop it from having to be redrawn.

• 2 months later...

One question: µTorrent doesn't draw the gui when it is minimized to tray? So if there would be graphical download bars they wouldn't use any cpu when µTorrent is minimized. When i want to check the download progress of my torrents, i would open µTorrent, it would draw the gui once or twice, i'd take a glance and minimize it back to tray. I had an overview within a few seconds because of these bars and they wouldn't use any cpu while µTorrent is in the background, minimized or in the tray.

I don't know whether your understand my theory/explaining or not because my english-vocabs are mostly picked from dictionaries, so i try it again on german for those who understand it:

Wenn man davon ausgeht, dass µTorrent das GUI nur berechnen muss, wenn sie im Vordergrund liegt, haben die Downloadbalken insofern einen großen Vorteil als dass man, wenn man das Programm aus dem Tray oder sonstwoher öffnet, einen schnelleren Überblick hat und die CPU-Belastung nur rel. gering bzw kurzzeitig ist, da man das Programm in der Regel ja nach 1 - 2 Sekunden wieder schließt. Solange µTorrent im Tray oder im Hintergrund liegt entsteht keinerlei Belastung durch das GUI und wenn man spielt oder irgendwelche cpu-lastigen Aufgaben erledigt, bei denen die Sparsamkeit von µTorrent von Vorteil sind, hat man das Programm ja in der Regel im Tray oder minimiert.

Liege ich da richtig?

I think this is the most unnecessary feature request thinkable. It's already there.

basically another column in the main view that shows the percentage complete in a graphical progress bar. this way its easier to scan through the whole list and see which one is almost done in a sec.

Click on the [Done] tab on top of the percentages, the one which is at almost 100% will be at the top! How hard is that? ;-)

And then, are you not able to look at the bar below?

Archived