Graphical Completion Progress Bar in Main Torrent View

d70

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, so the cpu-load-argument is invalidated, because for the most time the download-bars DON'T use more cpu... (except the users who are sitting in front of their computers the whole day and watching µTorrent downloading ;))

Dont forget, some users here (author to?) are extremely paranoid by drawing any graphics which are not in plain text. Using cpu or not..

I fear that µtorrent will lose a big userbase if they implement more of this GUI-candy, or anything in that direction. Doesn't matter if its affects the performance or not, it will certainly hit one µtorrents main arguments; the lightweightness, which many users has based their decision to switch on.

A bit funny...

Drawing text needs computing (think low level now) of beizer-curves and also the fills of these curves (of course made on api-level). On most computers the drawing is even more demanding due to quite cpu demanding anti aliasing maths and/or clear type calculations.

This is of course made by the GDI/GDI+/whatever api, but the calculations is still beeing made.

Don't you guys think that copying a square to the video-memory takes less cpu-cycles?

Come on :)

Cheers

I fear that µtorrent will lose a big userbase if they implement more of this GUI-candy, or anything in that direction. Doesn't matter if its affects the performance or not, it will certainly hit one µtorrents main arguments; the lightweightness, which many users has based their decision to switch on.

Ridiculous. The main argument ist not "lightweightness" alone, but "lightweightness, despite all those features". Throw away all the features, that are not neccessary! Throw away the whole GUI! That would be the ultimate lightweight champion...

And since command line tools or text interfaces are so "popular" you wouldn't even know uTorrent.

But AFAICS this is not the intent of ludde.

Methinks, ludde likes eyecandy. :D Flags, tab icons, status icons, everything customizable. Colorful bars in the pieces and files tab. etc.

I think the hardcore lightweight lovers already left the building. If some users would ditch uTorrent because of a simple progress bar, then i foresee that it will attract even more new users...

I may quote the utorrent page:

- "Micro-Sized Yet Feature Filled"

Adding a graphical bar wouldn't increase the size noticable, since there are bars drawn already. The code just have to be reused. So at a cost of almost nothing, yet another feature

- "Resource-Friendly"

well, i don't think a progress bar would force me to upgrade my 2,2 GHz Athlon64 or makes me buy another 1GB of RAM. But i doubt that you will even see an increase on an Intel P90.

- "Actively Developed and Improved... working on features and making things more user-friendly"

IMHO a progress bar ist more userfriendly than a text value. You see the difference at a glance. Look at Azureus or eMule, both have a progress bar (but i could quote dozens of other apps that make good use of progress bars), uTorrent also has one on the "General" tab. I won't say that uTorrent should add this bar because alls other similar apps have one, but i am saying it, because they are useful.

I don't know why some are arguing with the resources. If they really care about taking too much resources, they would have utorrent minimized all the times and won't even see the bars. And even if the bars add 1K program size. I doubt that this 1K will prevent you from downloading the 5 GB TV series torrents.

But it is all up to ludde. If he don't want this, it's his choice.

Jesus, i almost forgot this topic! :) Hiyya guys, as i see the new wave has just arrived. :D

So, spare your horsepowers y'all. I am one of the progressbar lovers (read back) who said that even text progressbar is ok, just let us have some graphical info. Now i know that we are different: some of us can read graphics more easily (visual type like me) and some are verbal guys, who prefer text. The interpreting speed in our minds is about the same, but we prefer different input types. The verbal types says a progressbar eye candy, bloat, you name it, and they feel that the text is more elegant, more serious, and the visual guys are saying we want to read less, text is the oldschool type of information providing, and we want some design and style, rather than rough data. I think we are both right.

So this argument will go to nowhere. (The CPU usage is - as i know - is about the same: everything is GDI+, some - maybe all - double buffered, the progressbar is a buffered graphic, the text is math-curves-optional clear type, so they are like even.) The current design tells me (i might be wrong), that Ludde is more like the verbal type (with its advantages: Hint, µTorrent. :D) The visual types can only wish that Ludde will sometime create the option for us - other-type-thinkers.

for whats its worth ... i vote for a simple graphical progress bar. it will make the client more user friendly and good looking, going allong with the current theme. if it bothers people, no problem: it can be disabled. seems pretty simple to me. im sure its a piece of cake to add.

You will always have people complaining about every new feature request, just because they add a feature in doesn't mean they're FORCING you to use it. Don't like it? Disable it.

Please don't complain about things that won't affect you in any way, but will benefit other people that would like this feature. It's really, really annoying and pointless.

Personally, I would really like to have this feature.

[quoting the previous post is spam - quote removed]

You know.. it isn't just about "adding a feature". Every new feature takes work and effort from Ludde. Instead, he should spend time on things that actually bring something. Stuff that makes utorrent better in what it is supposed to do: download data.

Why do you need graphical percentage bars? So much waste of time. Can't you make a perception of 75% or what ? Like staring to the bar moving ahead?

We're not saying "hey ludde, drop everything you're working on and add a progress bar ASAP! that's just a dumb way of thinking.

It's we'd like to see a progress bar sometime in a future version.

So whenever he feels like working on it he can, I'm sure he has a list of high priority features and then a bunch of low priority features, this would be a low one.

[quoting the previous post is spam - quote removed]

You know.. it isn't just about "adding a feature". Every new feature takes work and effort from Ludde. Instead, he should spend time on things that actually bring something. Stuff that makes utorrent better in what it is supposed to do: download data.

Why do you need graphical percentage bars? So much waste of time. Can't you make a perception of 75% or what ? Like staring to the bar moving ahead?

Please don't complain about things that won't affect you in any way, but will benefit other people that would like this feature. It's really, really annoying and pointless.

Every new feature takes work and effort from Ludde. Instead, he should spend time on things that actually bring something.

Enhancing the UI *is* something.

And turning a percentage value into a graphical bar will surely demand _all_ of luddes finest programming skills. I am not sure if ludde is ready to draw boxes. The bittorrent stuff, PEX, DHT, uPNP... done in minutes. A box? ludde should take some programming lessons.

I expect a first version of this bar in the next beta. After careful beta testing the fine function of a graphical bar will go final in uTorrent 3.0.

tjobo, in Germany we say "du machst aus einer Mücke einen Elefanten"

Archived