DHT Issue

Caesor

uTorrent has recently stopped working properly. Just last week I was able to torrent with no problem. However, this week, I've been getting "DHT: Disabled" for my uTorrent client. I have not touched uTorrent or any of my router settings since I last torrented last week. When I right clicked DHT disabled, I made sure DHT: Enabled was checkmarked. I also checked my preferences and DHT is definitely enabled.

I used this guide to troubleshoot: http://torrenthelp.depthstrike.com/2007/11/utorrent-dht-troubleshooting.html. I've disabled all firewalls, including Windows defender and Norton Security Suite. I don't have PeerGuardian or anything of that sort (at the very least I don't remember installing it). DHT has worked in the past, but torrents from the links provided don't work either. I also removed the dht.dat and dht.dat.old files as well. Also used this thread: https://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=119728&p=2, but nothing there helped.

I'm currently running uTorrent 3.2 and I do have BTGuard installed. I tried running uTorrent with BTguard off and non-proxied. No change. I understand that magnet links seem to not always work with BTGuard, so I tried using the actual torrent file. Still no luck, even with BTGuard off. Checking my router logs show that TCP packets seem to be getting blocked because "there is no active connection." I have the yellow triangle icon at the bottom instead of the green one, but for the life of me I can't figure out what exactly my connection problems are since to my knowledge I haven't changed any settings since I used uTorrent (successfully) last week.

Norton doesn't disable when you disable it. It needs to be uninstalled to stop it interfering.

Yea, I uninstalled it. Still no good. Even after I uninstalled Norton completely it says "Stopped by user activity" next to "DHT: Disabled."

It's probably worth noting that when I run the setup guide uTorrent seems to start working for the duration of the setup guide running. I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with my router since my roommate can download via uTorrent with no problem. I just can't figure out what settings on my computer is causing this issue since I haven't changed anything in the past week.

Preferences -> Bandwidth -> uncheck "Only transfer when system is idle"

Ah. That fixed it. Thanks.

Although oddly enough, I'm downloading np but I now have the red icon saying I'm not connectable. uTorrent is working fine and I'm downloading so not too bothered. It's just weird.

Archived