files I share for upload missing in the utorrent completed list

shannyka

Hi,

I tried searching for an answer in the forum, nothing has come up, therefore my post.

If the question has been posted previously, please kindly direct me to that particular post.

A couple of hours ago, when downloading a torrent, I saw that all files in the torrent folder that I share for upload are missing in the completed list.

Only 2 files are now in the utorrent list for upload by other users.

One is a file that was downloaded 1 week ago, the other is the file I downloaded 9 hours back.

I find it important to keep seeding and sharing files I already downloaded myself.

Is there a way to sort of "import" these files back to the completed list, so I can keep sharing them??

Hopefully I have described the problem clearly enough.

Thanks for your answers and help.

sorry for being so dense (grin), but I don't understand the procedure.

I just want to "import" the whole folder with the previously downloaded torrent files back into the completed folder in the torrent client, so I can share them again.

I don't know why all files in the completed list have disappeared.

If possible, please give me a step-by-step instruction.

I appreciate your patience.

I have the same problem.

I'm useing uTorreent a long time and now my version is 3.1.3.27327 installed on 04/06/2012

It worked well till today.

I performed a MS Windfows regular update (from 09-10-2012) on my Vista 32 PC

Before an update, as usually, I paused all torrens and then exit uTorrent.

After rebot a following happened:

1. Completed (accordingly also Active) folder within uTorrent is empty.

2. All 63 completed torrents have been moved into Download folder (!?)

3. Definitely all are in error status "Error: Invalid download staate, try resuming".

Have you any idea what happend and what to do to restore a previous status. I just want to continue to sharte

files with others - all 63 I currently have to.

I read here that a suggestion is to upgrade uTorrent. No problem, but waht will happen then?

I do not believe that all copmleted torrents will return back to their "Completed" folder.

Are you sure they will?

What is a problem?

Valery

If the client did not start up with all the files listed it probably means that resume.dat was damaged or is missing so re-adding and rechecking is a bout the only safe option.

Alternatively if there is more than a few dozen, move them into the autoload directory and let the client load them up.

If the client did not start up with all the files listed it probably means that resume.dat was damaged or is missing so re-adding and rechecking is a bout the only safe option.

Alternatively if there is more than a few dozen, move them into the autoload directory and let the client load them up.

Well... this is nasty... resume.dat damaged or missing... how?

I have no idea

1) how to move them into the autoload directory. or

2) how to re-add or re-check.

If you could explain this, that would be great.

No experience solving problems with utorrent. It has been working really well all these years.

there really should be a fast and dirty way to get all the downloaded torrents back into the completed folder...

Here is the solution. By the way it works!

This is note a "sintific" or some kind of "intellectual" solution, but

rather a very practical one. From my experience in working with computers :-)

Definitely I would prefer to know what was it all about, but it is no so important.

If you execute regular backups, for example, by means of Norton Ghost,

just restore 8 files into "User"\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent folder.

To be on the safe side, you might save current versions of these 8 files in some other folder.

Files are (you just will see them with a current date) as follows:

dht_feed, resume, resume.dat.old, settings,

settings.dat.old, dht_feed.dat.old, dht, rss

Valery

I do a regular backups - every day an incremental ones and once a month a full one.

I do it by means of Norton Ghost backup software.

I accessed a backup from yesterday - a day uTorrent worked well,

and took from this backup these 8 files ("restore" function) into their original

destination.

Probably one or more of these "cash" files was corrupted.

Now all works fine.

Valery

I still hope somebody will have an answer... there has to be a way to solve this problem...

very strange that the files in the completed just disappeared after installing 3.1.3 - BUG???

I googled a lot for answers and found a way to get files back manually 1 by 1. the ratio is set back to 0 then.

it's about wanting to share, and that's what torrenting is all about....

Automatic upgrades from 3.1 to 3.2 will not happen, probably something in the repository system needs "ticking" to allow it as a valid update path. But 3.2 is something of a different animal to 3.1 so probably does need a manual installation.

I do not know waht is your "Update to 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 as 3.1.3 is not supported"
Each time a stable version is released, which is 3.2.1 build 28086 currently, the previous stable version is deprecated, and as such will not be developed any further, so any "bugs" or UI problems will not be fixed. Normal practice for a software development team that doesn't number in the hundreds.

The solution is to download your update of choice, both 3.2.1 stable and 3.2.2 (beta) have no significant problems, and install manually. Make sure the client is shutdown completely before starting though.

very strange that the files in the completed just disappeared after installing 3.1.3 - BUG???
Probably not a bug per se, but a glitch that failed to import the data from resume.dat, which is exactly what is sounds like, the file with the data that allows uTorrent to pick up (resume) where it left off before something interrupted it.

Exactly what caused the problem is likely to remain a mystery, as no one else has reported it as a problem as yet, the exact steps needed to recreate the issue are unknown, so cannot be recreated to make the problem demonstrable rather than being anecdotal.

Software glitches are only "bugs" if they can be reproduced given the same conditions, three times at the minimum. Once, is a glitch. Twice, a coincidence. Thrice is a bug. And yes, software developers are well aware that one definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect something different to happen.

Hi there ciaobaby,

I did download and install the version you suggested already yesterday.

the question remains (there are 2 of us asking this here now), that we want to "import" the downloaded torrents back into the completed list, so we can share with the community.

Okay!

If it did not happen automatically on install or on client startup or on restart ... You CAN'T "import"!

Your options are:

For each and every torrent that you want to make available for upload you should:

Place all the files as they were originally downloaded in your download directory, THEN;

A/ MANUALLY ADD every .torrent file associated with that data into the client by double clicking, highlighting and pressing [Enter] or right clicking and choosing open from the context menu. Then force a recheck on the torrent entry before starting them.

OR

B/ Place all the .torrent files in tour autoload location (see Preferences -> Directories to see where this is) and the uTorrent client will automatically load these torrents.

Before choosing option B/ ensure that you have a backup copy of all the downloads just in case uTorrent decides to overwrite any of them.

If you get an alert box that says. .. File filename.ext exists in this location, overwrite? [Yes] [No] ... Choose No.

Dear ciaobaby.

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll install a new version tomorrow.

BTW, I never used an automatic update, but rather downloaded a new version and then installed it. What is strange, this time, a new version is not announced - not automatically ("Check for updates automatically" parameter in general settings), nor after a manual check (one of Help options).

I agree that this was some kind of glitch that definitely cannot be resolved by installation of a new version. Not all can understand this, but this is a fact. Installation of a new uTorrent version will not change or repair Resume.dat file itself.

Thank you very much & have a nice weekend.

Valery

P.S.

Advice to all members.

Use BACKUP! It will help not only with uTorrent, but with much more things. Use an external device to save backups, if possible, Run it automatically every day and you will be happy :-)

Archived