Hacked - twice

Carol60123

I have been hacked the last two times I have used utorrent. Could be many more for all I know. Both times I was obtaining the latest episode of Elementary. I usually get my torrents from BitSnoop. I am sorry I am blatently ignorent as far as info needed... my contacts were not hacked; the email addresses from my inbox were gleaned. I know this as I had sent something to myself so I also sent the hacked message. My contact list is empty due to the first time I noticed I was hacked. This is how I knew it was the inbox. The 'sent' list was all of the items in the inbox.

Vista - 2nd something

Yahoo/att

yahoo mail popped over to outlook

Norton 360

Norton smart firewall with 'block all network traffic' not running

My life will be reduced to On Demand and commercials if this is not fixed. Please tell me what to turn on/off to protect myself. Or where to start looking for an answer. Please!

Carol

Try another site and look for TRUSTED people to download from. ciaobaby comments may be a bit harsh, but he is right in the essence that it's not a problem with uTorrent, it's a problem with the security and where you're getting your torrents from. I've been using uTorrent for 10yrs without a problem, but I never download from anonymous or any crap like that. I use a site that has trusted uploaders on it and download from them. uTorrent is just a program to allow you to file share, it is not responsible for what you download or share. It would be like you clicking on a link in yahoo, google, firefox etc and ending up with a virus and then blaming the browsers.

Now that's very helpful. Thanks for your kind and quick response. I might also suggest that one can look into the website torlock. They post only verified real torrents. I've checked many of their torrents with my own anti-virus, and they've all been good. Carol can also use Peer Block or Peer Guardian to attempt to stop her comp. from connecting to known malicious i.p. addresses.

Thanks for helping mac. I've looked thru the forums on the problem of being hacked and it comes up persistently. Perhaps a sticky can be created at some time in the future.

Or in the Beginners Guide maybe??

How do I know that someone isn't sending out viruses on BitTorrent?

In short, you don't. You should treat something downloaded with BitTorrent just like any file downloaded from the internet - that is, if you don't trust the source of the file, then you should use caution when opening it. If the torrent site you obtained it from offers comments, be sure to read those first. But regardless of the comments, running a virus scan on the downloaded files is usually a good idea. µTorrent guarantees that the content you download is not altered from when the torrent was originally created, but if the source files used to create the torrent were already infected, this will provide no protection!

I don't thing anyone ever reads the beginners guide,

Ah yes I'm only too well aware of the "But WHY do I need to read the manual"??

And of course there is all the whinging about uTorrent popping up a warning that some files may be malicious, so it's the usual developers dilemma. We ALL KNOW that the end users are NOT going to read any usage instructions or warnings on what NOT to do, but if you DARE to show a warning before they click Ok and delete the entire contents of the database,....

.... that's interfering with what they need to do.

I have or will do all suggested. Thank you very much Mac and Dharmabum. You both are much nicer than the av-er-age computer expert! It is not a WHY DO I HAVE TO READ…not everyone thinks they are brilliant. It is quite difficult to understand a Beginner’s Guide when it all seems like Greek. Hence, questions arise.

What confuses me is how am mp4 can hack. I know...I am ignorant and a whiner but all I was trying to do is figure out how the contents in my inbox could provide a list of emails to send out spam. My contact list is empty! I deleted it after the first hack. I know not to download an .exe. I do not even do zip as I don't feel knowledgeable enough to guard my computer. I have been downloading TV shows for years and this issue is recent. Something has changed and that is all I was trying to figure out. I just wanted to know what to do to stop it!

Thanks again for your time and willingness to share your knowledge.

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

I have used UTorrent for quite some time now. I DON'T use Norton or McAffee, why pay for something that does half of what a free program does. I use AVG and have since they first came out. I also use PeerGuardian when I run UTorrent and haven't had any problems with either one of the 3 so far.

I do, however, have a problem every once in awhile with the seeders. I'll show over 500 seeders active, but I wont be able to connect with even 1 of them. When this happens, I shut down everything and do a complete disc defrag followed by a complete scan of the hard drives with AVG. I do surf to questionable web sites every once in a while and should do a scan more often. After both defrag and virus scan are complete, I have no problems with running UTorrent at all.

I know there are other anti-virus programs out there that are free, but my preference is AVG and would recommend the free version to anyone that would like to have one.

As for the moderators here, I think they are great at what they do, and you've gotta overlook some of the brash comments they post. Remember, they moderate the WHOLE forum, not just this topic. I know if I had to answer the same or close to same topic day in and day out, I wouldn't have anyone that would want to have me talk to them.....lol

Archived