Read cache size in disk statistics still 1 MB

Thunder

Which bit of:

If it doesn't need to use it, it won't set it larger than it needs, are you missing?

Write caching WILL use what ever is available because you are downloading more. if you set a write cache of 1GB it is quite likely that most, if not all of that would be used.

I am also uploading a lot. :)

So, if I undersdand well, the read caching is automatically adjusted, while the write caching can be manually adjusted.

I just want to ask you somthing, Can I force uT to use all the cache I set, in auther termes, there is a minimum cache size to configure ?

Can I force uT to use all the cache I set

You can override the automatic cache in Preferences -> Disk Cache and uncheck "[] Reduce memory usage ... not needed"

Which is fine if the machine is dedicated to uTorrent. But if the machine is used for other things as well, you could be reserving memory uneccessarily at the expense of other applications which are then "thrashing" at the swap file instead. which is a nothing gained, plenty lost scenario, and the client will STILL only use what it actually has need for.

If you only had a single active torrent that you were the only seed for and there were a LOT of peers uploading (talking hundreds+ here) and grabbing pieces by the bucket load from you, and the files are on a 'slow' drive (external USB or internal IDE/PATA) your scenario of giving giving away contiguous memory in bushels would be fine, but in the majority of cases letting the client manage cache sizes etc. is perfectly adequate.

The only need you should have to alter cache sizes is if you are getting "disk overloaded" messages, other than that, messing uneccessarily will very likely have negative consequences.

Archived