Accessing from different HDD

carlmart

Due to some programs I use, sometimes I have to move from one OS to another, on a different HDD. On each HDD I have different uTorrent installations.

What I wonder is how can I access each installation from the other HDD, so I can continue downloading pending files. I don't want to move the files from where they are, or copy them on the other HDD, as that would be a waste of space.

I guess I have to change the downloading place, but I can't do that after loading uTorrent, as that might make me lose what I already downloaded. That already happened once to me.

How do I change that setup without loading the program?

You are joking, aren't you? Please tell us it's not a serious question.

HOW, HOW, HOW, would you even HOPE to tell each instance of a BitTorrent client which pieces have already been "fetched"????

You would HAVE to run an integrity check on EVERY job in EVERY client, EVERY time each one started up.

At a push you could (maybe) do that with seeding but certainly not with downloading.

No, I am not joking.

I honestly thought there might be a way, and I wondered which it might be. Emule already does that, and as long as you use the same install on both accesses it identifies where the files are and corrects the downloading directory, which letter it is and all that.

My problem is that right now I'm handling my downloads from XP, and would like to bring here a large file that is 85% down in my Windows 7 installation.

Seeding is not too large, so I have to wait until any eventual seeder gets on line to continue downloading, and I can't afford waiting there just for that.

So my question was a general one, but also an specific one.

You should be able to migrate it over but you will HAVE to run a re-check before the job is started just so that each and every instance of the uTorrent client(s) will be able to update it's own resume.dat file and keep track of the pieces that the other instances have 'fetched'.

First try didn't work. I just copied the file from uTorrent's W7 directory to XP directory. The file does not show when I open XP's uTorrent, so I can't try any re-check.

What I did now was look at the options I have on the downloading file, and there is an option called "Transfer to". Maybe that's what should be used to move file.

Transfer to: is for when you have any "Devices" defined and you want to move the job to a different device.

You will have to "tell" each instance that the job exists, by also copying the .dat files into each installations own %appdata% location, the resume.dat especially, as that contains the meta data for the current jobs.

Also when you add a job to one instance you WILL have to repeat that procedure. So the likelyhood of a disaster occuring on one of these transfers is rising at an exponential rate.

Still thinking it's a good idea?? :)

No, it's not a too good an idea, but if I go back to XP I might have to do it.

The major risks are losing all the files that downloaded and are still seeding on the XP install, as I guess .dat file can't be edited or merged with the other, can it?

I haven't found any manuals yet explaining how to do this I want.

OK, How would it be that portable instance?

The file I'm interested in is rather large and with very few seeders, so I wouldn't want to lose it. I need a very safe way to do the move, if possible not affecting the original W7 files, data and .dat.

I have already copied the data file to the XP uTorrent directory, so how should I proceed now?

Archived