µTorrent 3.4 RC

AdamK

right-click->pause

I know that ;)

(Why did it even get removed though? It's not like it was competing for space).

It is problematic as the behavior is undefined. Connections are being held/counted , eventually disconnected. Exiting in this state - leaves the peer with useless connections, etc. Plus it is not *that* useful...

This issue is back, and causing enormous bandwidth loss to leeching. In a nutshell, some downloaders have figured out how to "ghost" themselves as IPv6 and IPv4 couplets, one of which DLs at maximum velocity while the other reports reception to uTorrent, fooling the application into believing it's dealing with disparate peers who are sharing nicely. The result is that uTorrent continues to reward them with pieces far in excess of their actual sharing.

This is intensely frustrating as an uploader of huge torrents in initial-seeding mode in which, to manage my bandwidth, I halt uploading after the Availability of the torrent exceeds 2.0. -- In the old days before IPv6, this normally wouldn't happen until several peers were "99%"ers (meaning Avilabiliy would quickly shoot to 4 and higher as the 99%ers quickly traded the last rare pieces); now, Availability might reach 2.0 when the highest percentage peer is no better than 85% (well, him and his ghost buddy), with the next ghost-pair many percentage points farther down.

If a ghost-pair is a leech who splits soon after hitting 100%, they could up robbing 5%-10% of the torrent (and, if several couplets are leeches, it can be a lot more than that) -- a possibility that initial seeding mode exists as a feature to explicitly prevent.

During initial seeding, non-ghosted peers are almost completely shut out of any meaningful fraction of my upload bandwidth (since they don't have a ghost partner instantaneously reporting successful re-trades), as uTorrent will upload virtually exclusively to ghost-pairs. I can only cross my fingers and hope that not too many of the ghost-pairs are leeches who'll disconnect at 100% before they've shared their rarest pieces.

To give you some idea of bandwidth loss potential, I was recently "robbed" of over 40gigs out of a 250+ gig torrent established via initial-seeding, despite there being nearly a hundred peers in it near the finish. This occurred even though I had posted the torrent with a smaller piece size of only 4mb -- if I had gone with the default of 16mb or higher, the loss-to-leeching would have been even more severe.

2ggb.jpg

right-click->pause

I know that ;)

It is problematic as the behavior is undefined. Connections are being held/counted ' date=' eventually disconnected. Exiting in this state - leaves the peer with useless connections, etc. Plus it is not *that* useful...[/quote']

right-click->pause

I know that ;)

It is problematic as the behavior is undefined. Connections are being held/counted ' date=' eventually disconnected. Exiting in this state - leaves the peer with useless connections, etc. Plus it is not *that* useful...[/quote']

With all due respect, rafi, that makes *absolutely* no sense whatsoever. If the functionality is still retained in the right click>pause, then there is NO difference in having it as a toolbar button. To me, I feel there are any number of ways that pause is beneficial for a user over a full stop.

To say the a button is undefined and should be removed, but keep the functionality as (a LESS USEFUL & CONVENIENT) method in right-click, is ridiculous.

Honestly, I expected a better answer from you.

To say the a button is undefined and should be removed, but keep the functionality as (a LESS USEFUL & CONVENIENT) method in right-click, is ridiculous.
Agreed. Why anyone would think it's a good idea to make a frequently-used feature harder to use is baffling to me, particularly when there's a good five inches of empty nothing in the middle of that bar.

I use Pause all the time.

To say the a button is undefined

Not the button' date=' the pause operation. And removing the button, just reduces the # of times people will use it. Pausing is bad for the swarm. "*absolutely*"...[/quote']

Sorry, my friend, I don't buy that - while I am *not* an expert in the protocol, I do not see how it can "hurt" the swarm, any more than dropping OUT of the swarm.

Something else I noticed. If I put a value in to LIMIT my UL speed, then I see it drop to almost nothing - ex, my up speed is ~500 kB/s, if I enter 400 or 450 for the limit, then the speed goes down to nothing - if I leave it as 0, then I get the max speed, but my browsing is affected.

I did not see this effect in previous versions (though I'm only now trying 3.4, having stayed on 2.2.1 until now).

I think it's *getting* there, but still some issues to get worked out.

Something else I noticed. If I put a value in to LIMIT my UL speed, then I see it drop to almost nothing - ex, my up speed is ~500 kB/s, if I enter 400 or 450 for the limit, then the speed goes down to nothing - if I leave it as 0, then I get the max speed, but my browsing is affected.

I did not see this effect in previous versions (though I'm only now trying 3.4, having stayed on 2.2.1 until now).

I think it's *getting* there, but still some issues to get worked out.

Yes I have seen the same effect, but it is inconsistent and I have not been able to produce it reliably.

It SEEMS to appear after uTorrent has been running for a long time.

I have also seen it in 3.3.2, where it appears to happen more often, which is why I switched to 3.4. because it is rarer.

Usually I fix it by exiting uTorrent, then restarting it, which is a pain.

It happens with: My own settings.dat; Rafi's settings.dat & a completely fresh install.

As an aside, this is where I use the pause function as it appears to allow the ULs to finish cleanly and I can monitor this. Sometimes one torrent (not often) will not not pause (ie continue to upload). This allows me to then stop this torrent before closing uTorrent.

No, this hampering of download speed seems to occur regardless of what I use or whether I re-start or how long it's been running.

It even affects the downloading torrents.

If this can't be fixed, I'm forced to drop back - again - to 2.2.1 :(

---------------------------

fwiw, by FAR I get the best upload speeds from 3.4, but can't DL (or surf) for squat :( I can only hope this aspect gets resolved quickly. Other than that, (and the annoying lack of the PAUSE button), I didn't see anything major with it over the past day or so.

-------------------------------

I also noticed that, when I set a limit on the upload, if my DL speed goes over 1 MB/s (I have a 6MB connection), then I get a Disk Overload up to 20% :(

I usually run with caching off (on 2.2.1), but enabling caching and setting the size to 1800 appears to resolve the Disk Overload issue.

Any recommendations on the current BT.CONNECT_SPEED and MAX_HALFOPEN values for Win7 x64? (currently I have 50 & 100)

Thanks!

I have also seen it in 3.3.2, where it appears to happen more often,

Never seen in on the latest stable, so why revert to 2.2.1 and not 3.3.2? I guess the UL limiter is broken in 3.4 . And of cause having unlimited UL can cap your download...

I have also seen it in 3.3.2' date=' where it appears to happen more often, [/quote']

Never seen in on the latest stable, so why revert to 2.2.1 and not 3.3.2? I guess the UL limiter is broken in 3.4 . And of cause having unlimited UL can cap your download...

Switched back to 3.3.2. Build 180 worked fine for first 3.5 hours then bingo individual rate limit stops torrent UL, global limit stops all torrents

Restarted uTorrent and limits working fine again

Just noticed that 3.3.2 Build 30260 no Change log is out. will try that

Here's a question - if we're subscribed to this thread' date=' why don't we get notified when there is a new build posted?

Hint, that would be VERY convenient .....[/quote']

We do http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=756200#p756200

Just not on Fridays, when they all rush home .... and forget all about utorrent/us/this-thread ... :P

You're right, I did forget to to update the thread today. :P

New 3.4 beta (build 30267) released!

Changes:

-- 2013-10-25: Version 3.4 (build 30267)

- Fix: Ensure that the uninstall registry data is correct in all cases

Well, I can tell you that the new build (Build 30269) does not launch for me (at least not with the /RECOVER switch) - it just crashes.

For each new published Build uTorrent one can randomly download another Build, Typically 2 but up to 4 (to date) higher than the latest published uTorrent with a size of 1,065,296 B; 1041 kB Explorer).

This uTorrent usually does not work.

Build 30269 is one of them

If this happens you must re-download until you get the uTorrent with with the latest published Build number

Archived