µTorrent 3.4 RC

AdamK

-- 2013-12-18: Version 3.4 (build 30429) RC2

- Fix: Incorrect text color (black) when highlighted (dark blue) on XP

- Change: point initial page for fresh install to bundles.utorrent.com (nee /current/index.html)

- Fix: Bug affecting Plus customers

- Feature: Add BitTorrent Labs icon to the status bar

- Fix: Bug in categorizing torrents may lead to some missing in UI

Download the new version now!

How do you know it is installer and not some icons/ads?

I'm just comparing it to previous 3.4.0.x releases.

Maybe this needs updating soon...

"Tiny

µTorrent is a little over 1 MB (smaller than a digital photo!). It installs ultra-fast with a light footprint on your computer, and runs super-efficiently."

Whilst I appreciate it is smaller than a digital photo (depending on the camera ;) ), it is approaching 1.5 MB with the current release.

I see the installer is ballooning/creeping up in size very nicely:

1.47 MB (1,551,440 bytes)

The "installer" and the running uTorrent exe file are one and the same file so any 'feature' added to uTorrent inevitably increases the size of the exe file.

Even changing the wording of a GUI object could affect the file size.

So I guess RC actually means Really Crap

Build 30429

ALL category and label counts are completely FUBARed

Examples:

Active (11) 5 showing in the job list

Completed (27) 21 in list or sometimes 14

Seeding (26) 21 in list ^^ same 21 as completed

Downloading (5) None in list

Linux Mint (1) sometimes the one running is in list ..... sometimes it isn't

The only count that is correct is the total number of jobs.

Above tested with "dont_count_slow... set at true and false No change.

Not shutting down is back. Waited 20 minutes, graceful_shutdown is set false.

"status" column is back at centre aligned

All other columns are randomly set at right or left align. column reset made no difference

Start icon now suggest it is a "Move to bottom" action.

Scrollbar on files tab flashing on and off

Scrollbar on info tab is displayed when NOT required.

Will this be now put back to an Alpha status because is this is a Release Candidate .... Windows Vista was Microsoft's finest OS release to date!

But on the bright side ... the network overhead pulse has gone away (for now) should we open a book on the build number it is going to return in?

On what OS?

Start icon now suggest it is a "Move to bottom" action.

Looks to me like quite common download button -> http://is.gd/4R1moV

Scrollbar on files tab flashing on and off

Scrollbar on info tab is displayed when NOT required.

Not shutting down is back. Waited 20 minutes, graceful_shutdown is set false.

Seems OK here ('graceful' set, b30429)

alignment.

Looks to me the same as in 3.3.2 ... ;p

So, that leaves the un - synced counters .. Plus, some other trivial issues like the CPU&HD overloads, or the nonexistent labels mapping ...

The non-display of running jobs in the list is a startup problem it takes between 12 - 15 minutes after restarting the client and GUI before the list shows the appropriate number of tasks.

Regardless of whether the column aligment is "the same as 3.3.2" the simple fact is that it that is shows a lack of cohesion between developers. Which of course IS a primary purpose of a CVS, if "Git" projects can be cohesive with many, many unpaid and often unknown massively distributed developers creating forks and branches from the main source without fixed bugs reappearing days, weeks or months later why can't yours??

For the 'Status' and queue number ('#') it is logical for those to be centred (provided that gui,color_progress_bars it true for the status), likewise with the 'name' column being left aligned, but the rest are a mish-mash of alignments. Which suggests that the GUI designer only considered ONE arrangement of columns, rather than considering the fact that columns CAN and therefore WILL be re-arranged.

Minor point, ... Sure; but a point that demonstrates a lack of overall control and more importantly, a lack of quality control in the design & development process.

And on columns and QC.

The name column does NOT expand to accomodate the longest item on split point double click, other columns do.

Looks to me like quite common download button

Okay, then explain to me why a "download" icon is logical or intuitive for a start action, considering that a job may be already completely downloaded when it is being started?

rafi wrote:

Looks to me like quite common download button

Okay, then explain to me why a "download" icon is logical or intuitive for a start action, considering that a job may be already completely downloaded when it is being started?

Not my job to explain artistic choices... Ask the devs. I explained that it is not a "move to bottom" and I've explained that ... '"status" column is back at centre aligned' - is not "back", and is as should be. That should be enough for now....

Any yes, I think the previous 'start' was more appropriate... Here is another option if someone cares to comment on (the symbol only...) :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr59mMGrG5dZ73gWS0K9oHvUSBAnrnFXpqxvNwnjMsN4ybPDKtUw

Why is Avast! suddenly asking me for a "Mail Shield Security Exclusion" on a certificate for server 86.50.92.73 - message says:

Issued to: US,ST=CA,L=SanFransisco,O=BitTorrent,OU=uTorrent,CN=uTorrent

Issued by: US,ST=CA,L=SanFransisco,O=BitTorrent,OU=uTorrent,CN=uTorrent

Valid from 8/9/2012 to 8/29/2013

The certificate is not within its validity period

The certificate is not trusted

Someone please explain. Thanks.

UGH!

This is back -

Why does it prompt me to add an RSS entry with EVERY torrent added?

I would PREFER to remove RSS *entirely* - I have no use nor desire for it.

Doesn't matter HOW the torrent is added, it still prompts for the RSS Feed.

Advanced Settings for RSS are all FALSE - I find no other RSS-related settings/options.

Thanks for any assistance.

Archived