µTorrent 3.4 RC

AdamK

utorrent 3.4 build 29995

no desktop shortcut, no start menu shortcut and no uninstall file created.it sucks.

I did a quick test - I didn't even see a license agreement. It just installed.

And regarding that updateable torrent AdamK mentioned, this little box...

20130801_16h46m23s_001__zpsb16d13da.jpg

... keeps jumping to the right every time I click on the "Check For Updates".

And sometimes the box moves along all by itself when the mouse cursor approaches it.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It looks like we have around 20 peers in the swarm and some valuable UI feedback. Please post if you have any other issues or questions.

1. Compatibility to other clients - can any other BT client participate in that test now, either an earlier version of uTorrent or external?

The torrent files are regular .torrent files with some new infodict keys (as specified in the BEPs), so other clients can download them, but the ability to poll for an update and the UI is unique to uTorrent 3.4. The 3.4 build AdamK supplied will give us the best feedback.

2. Does libtorrent support this new feature, as a source for other clients to embed it?

Not presently, though I suppose it could be added.

3. Does this feature rely on the existing RSS feature and maybe is similar to it's existing smart-episodes-filter, and will any of those existing RSS related issues - get any attention as well anytime soon?

It does not rely on the existing RSS feature. I'm not the right person to comment on future plans for RSS.

I agree, no short cut, no anything. I guess you have to manually add it to your desktop/start menu/task bar. Maybe because it's an Alpha version? BTW, this new Alpha version, uTorrent remote doesn't work. This is on a NEW FRESH install of Win7 Ult SP1.

It's magic. The torrent updated from 2 items to 7 items.

...and the tray icon for 3.4.0.29995 is broken in Windows XP.

i dont understand.whats the purpose of updatable torrents.utorrent is not bothering the new features what i were expecting from this alpha.This company just bother about the revenue.people keep requesting for features and bug fixing .no one here to listen.Is the updatable torrents really a useful feature. i dont think so.

Is the updatable torrents really a useful feature. i dont think so.

It is, but only when there is some "owner" that takes care of the updates/increments.

For example - a torrent for a current season of a TV series - someone (who???) can add an episode each week, and the users will be auto-updated with it.

There are several issues, like:

1. You have to have this torrent active (running/seeding) all the time. What if you don't what to seed forever? A new state should be provided for updating torrents.

2. Who can update it? anyone? What if two people update it with the same episode ? Will you download it twice? I think you might need to have only one "owner" to avoid conflicts. Is it taken care of in those BEPs?

There is no doubt that this is useful for content providers, to push stuff to you...

2. Does libtorrent support this new feature, as a source for other clients to embed it?

Not presently, though I suppose it could be added.

Not "could be", but "should be" if you want this "standard" feature to spread around to other clients too.

There is no doubt that this is useful for content providers, to push stuff to you...

Which is where BitTorrent derive much of their revenue from.

if you want this "standard" feature to spread around to other clients too.

It would certainly be a useful feature for other ad-supported clients or companies that want to provide their own 'push' CDN via BitTorrent, BUT given your very real concerns in point 3) it also opens a potential risk of being used for malicious purposes unless updating of the content payload of the job was tightly controlled via 'digital signatures' or similar for new additions. The hashsum checking obviously protects against modified files/data from being injected into the delivery, but if any swarm node could add in new data the end result could be catastrophic for BitTorrent in public relations and reputation.

see the image below.this link is responsible for update torrent.if you will remove it.then it will not update

Which defeats the object of it being 'updatable' in the first place and is not going to prevent any "bait and switch" techniques from being employed.

see the image below.this link is responsible for update torrent.if you will remove it.then it will not update

Which defeats the object of it being 'updatable' in the first place and is not going to prevent any "bait and switch" techniques from being employed.

Which means you don't know what you are talking about, since you didn't read the BEPs... :P

Offers, ads, featured content...now updatable torrents.

Making some revenue is great BUT when it becomes a priority over actually concentrating on a solid client then there is something wrong...

http://i43.tinypic.com/16ln4uu.jpg

So reason behind the updatable torrent may be to make revenue.even this feature did not suggest by anyone.Thats why they disable the adds by default in alpha.May be updatable torrents would be a second option to make some revenue after adds.

I was sure all of this was fixed in 29998.

That maybe the case but as 29998 only made it to the CDN (for me) overnight, and Yes, I do check every time before I start any testing! So it does mean that testing a build that is not available to me to will be somewhat problematic.

Ok then!

Build 29998.

Default rules can now be deleted. However: They are promptly recreated on client restart.

Default directory mappings CANNOT be deleted

Default directory mappings CANNOT be edited

Default directory mappings over-ride any user created mappings.

Persistent Labels still showing (1), irrespective of whether there is ZERO or several jobs attatched to the label.

Archived