µTorrent 3.4 RC

AdamK

I'm also getting crashes with RSS feeds.

I have the dumps and my appdata folder ready to submit.

Hi - Thanks for your dumps for 30345. That issue seems to be fixed in the next version. Could you give that a try? http://tinyurl.com/orarlep

You're welcome. I downloaded a torrent through the TV feed and it crashed. However, I could not get it to crash again after it relaunched.

I think we have to do the spot checks without tester interaction - no one is going to download and test a build whose changelog is "feature in development, test stability"

This is what all the beta tester are doing here: test on feature in development like on an alpha, but without know what to test.

Changelog is useful to deeply test changes, fix and new feature without hoping to knock on it.

If you don't want to reveal the critical test version you can publish the changelog of a group of versions so we know what to test.

bye

PS: Sorry for my bad English

I think we have to do the spot checks without tester interaction - no one is going to download and test a build whose changelog is "feature in development' date=' test stability"[/quote']

This is what all the beta tester are doing here: test on feature in development like on an alpha, but without know what to test.

Changelog is useful to deeply test changes, fix and new feature without hoping to knock on it.

If you don't want to reveal the critical test version you can publish the changelog of a group of versions so we know what to test.

bye

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Thanks for your feedback. I think giving a full changelog for the test versions as well is a good idea.

Two main problems we'd like to solve:

* Don't expose more users than necessary to bad versions

* get new revisions in front of users as quickly as possible (These versions may be developed in parallel)

I'm also getting crashes with RSS feeds.

I have the dumps and my appdata folder ready to submit.

Hi - Thanks for your dumps for 30345. That issue seems to be fixed in the next version. Could you give that a try? http://tinyurl.com/orarlep

You're welcome. I downloaded a torrent through the TV feed and it crashed. However' date=' I could not get it to crash again after it relaunched.[/quote']

It's not clear from your message if the latest version (30378) fixed your particular issues with the RSS feeds. Can you please try with the version AdamK linked: http://tinyurl.com/orarlep ?

Don't expose more users than necessary to bad versions

That is exactly why alpha and beta versions should be isolated from the "public" update system until they are at RC stage. As willing volunteers, the people running alpha and beta version are expecting to find faults, that is why "we" run them.

Don't expose more users than necessary to bad versions

That is exactly why alpha and beta versions should be isolated from the "public" update system until they are at RC stage. As willing volunteers' date=' the people running alpha and beta version are [b']expecting to find faults, that is why "we" run them.

Not everyone uses beta because they want to test things. Some of us just use it because because the beta fixes a bug in the stable release.

In my case, I'm actually running it to see if it fixes the RSS magnet link bug, where new magnet links would show up in the list but never download. (The release notes seemed promising on this front.) But, if it does, I'm going to have to keep on using the beta version until they fix it in the stable version. If it doesn't, I'll have to figure out another client.

If it were up to me, I would never take on another update, and would automatically downgrade to the stable version once it has this bug fixed.

Alphas may be for testing only, but betas are used for a mixture of purposes.

Two main problems we'd like to solve:

* Don't expose more users than necessary to bad versions

* get new revisions in front of users as quickly as possible (These versions may be developed in parallel)

Sounds like you need an alpha channel to get things in front of those who are willing to use new versions, and to pref off new ideas in beta and release versions until they are ready.

That's how Firefox and Chrome roll, and they do a pretty good job on both fronts.

Not everyone uses beta because they want to test things. Some of us just use it because because the beta fixes a bug in the stable release.

Agreed .. But that is your choice and because you have chosen to run a beta version you SHOULD expect to find "issues", or at least not be surprised when something unexpected occurs, but that STILL does not equate to a staggered being a problem.

Beta versions are NOT stable or production versions, they ARE for extended test purposes in multiple operating environments, so by choosing to run one you are a tester.

I don't think piling up on features is something that's even necessary at this point in bittorrent development. The hugest problem by far, longterm thinking, with popular applications is that they somewhy start getting really complex without a real need to: "eventually all of them have e-mail clients."

Scattering new features along multiple parallel releasing paths is troublesome - I think that way should only be used for important bug fixing.

Google Chrome's beta channel at least does perform a lot of invisible testing and trial run branching despite there being just four release channels. You can see with Process Explorer that there're many finicky trial-related parameters that the separate Chrome bits are started with.

Anyway. I think integrating a changelist into the application itself is a good idea.

Feedback implementation for uTorrent would be, well, potentially good. I dunno if it's a privacy issue if it'd autoupload torrent lists or other metrics along crash dumps or something, but I could certainly make do with that. There's an abuse potential for such an implementation, though, or the possibility of becoming absolutely swamped with bug reports, so I'm not saying it's a cure-all.

I hope I'm making sense.

-- 2013-12-09: Version 3.4 (build 30389)

- Change: The Devices panel and configured devices panels were changed to be web frames which display local web sites.

Broke once again in build 30389= No seeding at all to UTP

Well, I guess you need more TCP to surf those local sites... ;)

Also the stop reverted back to pause... so I guess this is one of those single-fix-builds based on an older release... too bad they are not marking those as being so in the changelog...

36caff294082460.jpg

Archived