µTorrent 3.4 RC

AdamK

Why is Avast! suddenly asking me for a "Mail Shield Security Exclusion" on a certificate for server 86.50.92.73 - message says:

Issued to: US,ST=CA,L=SanFransisco,O=BitTorrent,OU=uTorrent,CN=uTorrent

Issued by: US,ST=CA,L=SanFransisco,O=BitTorrent,OU=uTorrent,CN=uTorrent

Valid from 8/9/2012 to 8/29/2013

The certificate is not within its validity period

The certificate is not trusted

Someone please explain. Thanks.

Because it is now December.

I also notice in the LOGGER that it creates/stores a "Computer ID" - what/why is this? I do not like the idea of this at all .......

All versions do and have for a very long while.

Why is Avast! suddenly asking me for a "Mail Shield Security Exclusion" on a certificate for server 86.50.92.73 - message says:

Issued to: US' date='ST=CA,L=SanFransisco,O=BitTorrent,OU=uTorrent,CN=uTorrent

Issued by: US,ST=CA,L=SanFransisco,O=BitTorrent,OU=uTorrent,CN=uTorrent

Valid from 8/9/2012 to 8/29/2013

The certificate is not within its validity period

The certificate is not trusted

Someone please explain. Thanks.[/quote']

Because it is now December.

I also notice in the LOGGER that it creates/stores a "Computer ID" - what/why is this? I do not like the idea of this at all .......

All versions do and have for a very long while.

That does not explain why there is a certificate involved (nor why BT/uT hasn't bothered to properly update it).

I just checked v2.2.1 and there is no "Computer ID" - the reason for and usage of it has not yet been explained.

Just because it was not in the log before does not mean it did not exist. What uTorrent calls "Computer ID" is more or less essential to the function of the BitTorrent protocol.

IIRC, it uniquely identifies your device in the swarm.

If one can "uniquely identifies your device in the swarm", then that is *specific* evidence that can be used against you, regardless on *any* kind of VPN or IP+Port information.

If that is indeed the case, I will be ceasing use of uT immediately and find another client.

I expect a senior Admin/Dev to weigh in here on this issue PRONTO!

Also, if that is the case, expect to see an article investigating it on TorrentFreak in the immediate future ......

So I guess RC actually means Really Crap

Build 30429

ALL category and label counts are completely FUBARed

Examples:

Active (11) 5 showing in the job list

Completed (27) 21 in list or sometimes 14

Seeding (26) 21 in list ^^ same 21 as completed

Downloading (5) None in list

Linux Mint (1) sometimes the one running is in list ..... sometimes it isn't

The only count that is correct is the total number of jobs.

Above tested with "dont_count_slow... set at true and false No change.

Not shutting down is back. Waited 20 minutes, graceful_shutdown is set false.

"status" column is back at centre aligned

All other columns are randomly set at right or left align. column reset made no difference

Start icon now suggest it is a "Move to bottom" action.

Scrollbar on files tab flashing on and off

Scrollbar on info tab is displayed when NOT required.

Will this be now put back to an Alpha status because is this is a Release Candidate .... Windows Vista was Microsoft's finest OS release to date!

But on the bright side ... the network overhead pulse has gone away (for now) should we open a book on the build number it is going to return in?

I can confirm this. I went from 3.4.30345 to .30429 figuring that a RC should be more stable than what I was running. Hah!

The displayed entries seems to fluctuate regardless of the view chosen, even the top-level view which should include all torrents and all states changes every second or so, hiding or displaying entries at random.

Where can I re-download the latest beta that works? Somebody stick it on dropbox or some such, please.

Where can I re-download the latest beta that works? Somebody stick it on dropbox or some such' date=' please[/quote']

Unfortunately, doing that it is contrary to the forum rules.

That may well be, however releasing something as RC2 in the state it was, should grant some leeway. Whoever ran that build and didn't test it themselves clearly had to be under the influence of something.

Whoever ran that build and didn't test it themselves clearly had to be under the influence of something.

It's all about any and every possible way for the $$$ to roll in! The top brass at Bittorrent Inc. knows very well that the evolution of p2p is changing with each day that passes and this way of downloading and sharing is not going to last forever....So the get all you can mentality plays a big factor!

If you notice lately there have been more offer settings in the hidden advanced settings, facebook, twitter and now a new buundle icons in the status bar that you cannot disable....Click, click, click= $$$.

Have you ever had a problem with connecting to these icons or anything to do with ads, offers, etc......Didn't think so!

Have you ever have problems with the normal function of utorrent that has nothing to do with ads, offers, buundles...Yes we have!

I'm expecting an Alpha version to rear it's head soon and we will be on that circle of fix and break routine all over again!

That may well be, however releasing something as RC2 in the state it was, should grant some leeway. Whoever ran that build and didn't test it themselves clearly had to be under the influence of something.

Whomever decided that it is even worthy of a release candidate designation is clearly delusional, we have:

A "labels feature" that is not documented so cannot be tested, and is less than partially working.

A "portable" system that doesn't actually allow for completely self contained installations.

And so on.

And rafi was insisting that we should all upgrade to it (because I'm still on 30287, which is the ONLY 3.4x build I have found that doesn't have a multitude of ridiculous problems!)

Clearly they are just throwing these builds out with ZERO testing on their side.

This is NOT the "tiny" client we started out with. It's not enough that they release their PAID version (and we can't get rid of the menu item for it in the "free" version), now they have to deluge us with all sorts of ad-related CRAP!

I'm just waiting for another (probably open source) client to be able to EFFICIENTLY import uT's resume data so I can switch.

Look how long MySpace was "King Of The Web" and when it first came on the scene, no one thought anything of Facebook - yeah, well were is MySpace now, and how many people actually still use it. Same can be said for Yahoo, etc.

BT/uT need to get their collective heads out of the @$$es and work PROPERLY, or they're going to find themselves without the user base they have now.

It's as simple as that. And they are just plain STUPID if they think otherwise.

If you are on the a beta track - go for the latest build, so at least you complaining can help a bit.
You have to agree it may be okay not to stay with the latest beta, when said beta is in far worse shape than the previous ones. That¨s the case with this RC.

Archived