Proxy - Should this work? Fails for TorGuard/BTGuard/TorrentPrivacy

Tanaris4

Should the proxy feature in uTorrent work properly?

I've literally purchased 3 different bittorrent proxies and can't get any of them to work with uTorrent even though all 3 leverage SOCKS5 w/authentication.

Just curious if this feature should even be working.

I am able to successfully use Deluge (TorGuard) and the built in Bittorrent Anonymizer (for TorrentPrivacy). Can't get BTGuard to work at all for any client.

I LOVE uTorrent and want to use it so bad, but I want to be able to use a proxy for downloads.

Any suggestions/thoughts on this?

Edit: On a new mac mini on OS X 10.8.2 running uTorrent 1.7.13 (28436)

Edit 2: Here is the log w/everything enabled, might help:

utorrent_proxy.png

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience BTGuard seems to work flawlessly under Windows, so right now I am just setting up running a Windows XP instance in Parallels. I can see that Parallels has it's own port forwarding that it seems you also have to configure. With them both working I think you will get awesome download speeds.

And just so you know, you can migrate your Windows from another machine into parallels, I'm just not keen on the fact that you have to reactivate the license (even if legit I don't trust the potential for errors and a week of tech support to prove your 10 year license is legit :| )

Under windows I get 500kbps on tpb torrents. Just think about it :)

---

My OSX Experience

I've got BTGuard working well on OSX using Vuze.

I set up port forwarding on my router and have the following settings. Hope it helps.

screenshot20121204at100.png

screenshot20121204at100.png

screenshot20121204at095.png

screenshot20121204at095.png

It's only started to work properly after a week though, possibly due to an incorrect configuration. I was using a port in the 20k's, but now it's around 50000, as soon as I made that switch I got a green light on my torrent.

p.s. I set my machine up with a static LAN IP so that I can manually configure port forwarding. This is because apparently there was a flaw in the UPnP spec (or something like that) that makes it possible to expose your real WAN IP.

Archived