! Finish Your Peases Before Ice Cream

It's a partial piece if it's not complete yet. Isn't that the purpose of resume.dat: to keep track of download progress? What does corrupt pieces have to do with anything? Corrupt pieces aren't an issue until the file is finished, when you hash it to make sure that it's okay. That's how most other P2P apps work.

I think the confusion is in the purpose of checking. Your thinking seems to be that the only reason that a file would be checked is if there's corruption. Honestly I don't think that I've ever seen a check after a crash report that there was any corruption, they (µTorrent, eMule, etc.) have always done their little check and continued on as before the crash. Losing all unfinished pieces is not really worth a one-in-a-billion chance of actually getting any corruption. Even if there were a bit of corruption, then the post-download hash would detect it and download that one piece instead of having to download a couple dozen.

Another reason for rechecks is when a file is coming in from somewhere else in tandem. For example, you may be downloading a file from a torrent, but also downloading the same file with another program, or perhaps even another torrent. All you have to do is to occasionally stop the torrent, do a recheck to detect any pieces that were downloaded from the other place, then continue on. That way the torrent(s) finishes faster and can begin seeding both sooner.

Surely there must be a way to avoid losing partial pieces.

Apparently, that's not what I was told when I was writing the manual.

Green means the data is still unwritten to disk. Incomplete pieces are never written to disk.

This definitely isn't something I would've pulled out of thin air and put into the manual without first consulting someone... :|

Edit: I am beginning to believe otherwise, though... I still see incomplete pieces in my Pieces tab after having restarted µTorrent. In that case, I'm leaning toward Synetech's side on the matter...

Archived