uTorrent Process Will Not Terminate

retiredfields

I've read a lot of posts on this topic and still have not found a solution.

Using Windows 8-64 and uTorrent 3.2.1.

When you exit uTorrent, by any means, the program remains running in Process Explorer. If you try and kill it, you get an "access denied" error. Taskkill and PSkill give the same results. Running those task killers as the System account also does not work.

Every time you restart and exit, a phantom process is left running. The only way to eliminate them is to re-boot.

It appears that if you configure uTorrent to start with windows, and then quickly kill it as soon as you boot up, it exits properly. After that, any other instance you start, fails to exit.

Any new suggestions would be appreciated. I will provide whatever info a developer needs to help solve this.

• 2 months later...

Same bug has been around since year 2007.

Needless to say it's extremely frustrating when your PC runs 24/7 some big job that requires restarting everything from the start (in case of restart for the uTorrent), resulting in loss of work in hundreds of hours :(

It must have something to do with uTorrent not been able to finish writing files when finished downloading.

As today again happened with large combo of files:

* 30GB torrent 20 files inside.

* Make 1'st file as high priority to download.

* 1-2 % is left to download uTorrent is not able to finish it.

* Close uTorrent as usual.

* uTorrent didn't close from processes, end Task won't work.

* uTorrent wont start.

* Restart computer.

* Restart work.

* Start uTorrent.

* 1'st part of file that had high priority resumes instantly downloading and finishes.

I recommend to download only 1 file of a combo file at a time.

When that's finished then download n'th file of that combo.

And just in case cut the uTorrent shared folder empty from all the finished downloads every time you start downloading another part of large combo. :cool:

• 7 months later...

I have this exact same problem. utorrent simply doesn't exit at all. I've tried exiting it from within the application, terminating it using Windows Task Manager, Process Explorer, Process Hacker and "taskkill /F". It simply doesn't work.

Task Manager and Process Explorer give me "Access denied". Process Hacker 2 gives me "An attempt was made to access an exiting process" (note: none of the Process Hacker "Terminator" methods work.) And the "taskkill /F" command gives the error "There is no running instance of the task".

I have tried running uTorrent under compatibility mode; I have tried logging off and back on. Neither worked. The only way to get rid of those pesky instances is rebooting.

I have uTorrent version 3.3.2 (build 30122) [32-bit], running on Windows 7 sp1 64-bit, and my account has administrator privileges.

Oh, and I checked uTorrent configuration option "Advanced->bt.graceful_shutdown". It was on the default "true", and I changed it to "false", but there was no change in the situation.

and my account has administrator privileges.

Which is NOT the same as running as THE Administrator.

Running as THE Administrator doesn't help either. And' date=' I already were running Process Explorer, etc. "as administrator", so I didn't expect it to.

The only way to get rid of those pesky instances is rebooting.

The other way is to just let it close, which it will do given time. Running less jobs will also allow it to close quicker.

I have instances on uTorrent that are several weeks old (since I've tried to close them) and still around. When you say "let it close", what do you mean exactly? Also, I typically don't reboot my machine for weeks and sometimes months, and my torrent queue usually contains hundreds of torrents waiting to be downloaded, whenever I have unused bandwidth.

Are you suggesting that this is not a bug, but an expected behavior? Is uTorrent supposed to behave this way now? Because it didn't before. And if this is indeed "by design", since I can't change my downloading and computer usage habits, I'll have to change my torrent client. And it will be a PAIN!

uTorrent has never been a real "workhorse" client and ver3 client are even less so, though ver 2.2 on Win2k/XP was fine with a couple of hundred active jobs, v3 on Windows 7 starts to fall apart once you get to 30+ jobs.

Now they tell me! :D

(Thanks for the replies, by the way.)

• 4 months later...

Archived