DNS blacklisting support

tumu

Allows easily to block and keep updated on the following:

1. RIAA/MPAA/copyright enforcement IP addresses

2. Countries (users in certain countries pay additional fees for international traffic)

3. Known slow connections (eg. dialups)

As uTorrent already has DNS resolving feature on peers, this feature should be rather easy to implement (just additional DNS query on user-configurable blacklist domains).

I have three reasons why this is unecessary:

1. you really shouldn't be downloading illegal content ;)

2. it is not my problem that other countries have to pay extra for international traffic (I have been on the internet for 12 years and i have never heard of this anyways)

3. just because someone has a dialup is no reason to block them, seriously, what is you reasoning behind blocking dialup users?

Allow me to respond:

1) Different countries have different laws. For example, where I live, it is perfectly legal to download MP3s. We pay a tax on blank media that goes directly to the recording industry and compensates them for their losses. I'm not trying to get into a debate about what's right and wrong here, but you're basing your assumptions upon American law, some of us aren't breaking the law, but may still wish to blacklist certain IP ranges.

2) This is more of a per-ISP thing. I've encountered many ISPs that have monthly traffic limits, and after that, either restrict you to a painful speed, or charge you for additional usage. However, I'd say this is more the responsibility of the person using that particular ISP than your responsibility as someone filesharing with them.

3) I believe that the original poster was more concerned with downloading from dialup users than sending to them. I've wondered this myself occasionally (though it's not about dialup vs broadband) - if my download speed from a peer is below a certain speed, are they just tieing up a spot that could be more effectively allocated to someone with a better upload speed?

AJ

Allow me to respond:

1) Different countries have different laws. For example, where I live, it is perfectly legal to download MP3s. We pay a tax on blank media that goes directly to the recording industry and compensates them for their losses. I'm not trying to get into a debate about what's right and wrong here, but you're basing your assumptions upon American law, some of us aren't breaking the law, but may still wish to blacklist certain IP ranges.

2) This is more of a per-ISP thing. I've encountered many ISPs that have monthly traffic limits, and after that, either restrict you to a painful speed, or charge you for additional usage. However, I'd say this is more the responsibility of the person using that particular ISP than your responsibility as someone filesharing with them.

3) I believe that the original poster was more concerned with downloading from dialup users than sending to them. I've wondered this myself occasionally (though it's not about dialup vs broadband) - if my download speed from a peer is below a certain speed, are they just tieing up a spot that could be more effectively allocated to someone with a better upload speed?

In respons to number one, i wish that were true where i live, and my comment was made sarcastically, hence the wink. For number two, that isn't what i said; i said nothing about monthly bandwidth charges, the complaint was made about international bandwidth charges. I understand that certain ISPs charge for the amount of of bandwidth used. For concern three, utorrent has a feature that keeps slow downloads/uploads from counting in the active torrent count, but there is still no reason to ban someeone simply because they do not wish to pay for brodband internet access.

I got the sarcasm in the first section, but still you raised a valid point that though it may not be an issue to the vast majority of torrent users, still raises an interesting topic - many people assume that what's illegal in their country is illegal everywhere, which is simply not the case.

I obviously misunderstood the second point, and now it makes a whole lot more sense (as far as wanting to blacklist foreign IPs), I can only say that I'm glad that this doesn't apply in any country I've ever lived in.

I think you're misunderstanding my response to the third point. I'm not suggesting blacklisting dialup users (besides, I often get decent speeds with dialup users when compared with many broadband users, 5k/sec is a respectable speed on some torrents), though that may ultimately be the only answer to the issue at hand. The lines that I was thinking along were something like - if download speed < x bytes/sec, then don't bother requesting any more sections from that client. Ultimately the most efficient solution would be to just drop that client as a peer, but then, you're getting into excluding certain people from torrents, and while it may be fun, so would a feature "report 10x upload amount to web trackers", doesn't make it right :)

That said, I would like to see some way to filter peers by speed on torrents with hundreds or thousands of peers/seeds, maybe I'm just a rotten b'stard :)

Well, uTorrent already drops peers that dont send at all after 5mins or so.. I think thats a good measurement for that already. Besides, 56k users dont usualy last as long and when you usualy connect to 50 peers or so per torrent, thats not much of an issue.

Banning 56k users is very, VERY, rude.

Archived